Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

Johnathan Northcroft in The Sunday Times today saying that he thinks Leicester City are in relegation trouble and suggesting that the loser of our game against Leeds will go down.

:jawdrop:

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

Johnathan Northcroft in The Sunday Times today saying that he thinks Leicester City are in relegation trouble and suggesting that the loser of our game against Leeds will go down.

:jawdrop:

Wow - water is wet ……. but based on one game is a bit of a stretch 

To expand, Northcroft does outline our problems and suggests, because of these that he thinks either us or Leeds will go down (but he thinks Forest and Wolves will be alright).

Screenshot_20230326_093736_TheTimes.thumb.jpg.b642704213c07ba69d6c5eff3b0c433b.jpg

Edit to say, I don't think he's right, I just think it an interesting take and a symptom of how bad things seem for us just now.

Edited by Vacamion
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

To expand, Northcroft does outline our problems and suggests, because of these that he thinks either us or Leeds will go down (but he thinks Forest and Wolves will be alright).

Screenshot_20230326_093736_TheTimes.thumb.jpg.b642704213c07ba69d6c5eff3b0c433b.jpg

Edit to say, I don't think he's right, I just think it an interesting take and a symptom of how bad things seem for us just now.

If we don't go down this year, I think it near certain next year. It will be too big of rebuild with those players gone, particularly with Rogers in charge. 

26 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

“….Yet Leeds have the excellent Java Garcia in charge…” is that the same Garcia that can’t keep a job for more than a year before getting sacked?

Although to be fair isn’t he Watford’s longest serving manager in the past 15 years or something stupid

The problem is saying “but Leicester have quality up front, Maddison is great and while Barnes and Iheanacho are inconsistent they can win matches” is all well and good, but doesn’t really help when we concede 2 soft goals a games.

Keep hearing pundits saying we’ll be fine because we have some good attacking players we’ll get out of it eventually. Yeah, sure, but we’re already comfortably the top scorers in the bottom half and have scored 1 less than Newcastle in 5th but are still down here because our defence is massively out of its depth and it doesn’t matter how good your attack is if you constantly give the opposition a 2 goal head start. Our attacking players are already doing what should be enough, that isn’t the problem. To get out of this, it’s out defensive players who would need to improve and back there we absolutely don’t have the quality 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Torten said:

Although to be fair isn’t he Watford’s longest serving manager in the past 15 years

It was a heck of a fortnight, hard to believe they got rid

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Seems like an utterly pointless question. Kane would trade in all of those golden boots and "best penalty taker at a world cup" award to experience what Vardy has experienced in winning the Premier League and FA Cup.

I had to look up his World Cup golden boot goals.

3 of them were penalties.

2 of them were headers from 2 yards.

The other was a fluke deflection from a Loftus-Cheek 20-yarder.

No wonder he looks so ****ing embarrassed picking up the trophy golden boot.

vzbs3ffhff7wydgccpu1-jpg.jpg

Fraud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

I had to look up his World Cup golden boot goals.

3 of them were penalties.

2 of them were headers from 2 yards.

The other was a fluke deflection from a Loftus-Cheek 20-yarder.

No wonder he looks so ****ing embarrassed picking up the trophy golden boot.

vzbs3ffhff7wydgccpu1-jpg.jpg

Fraud.

lol Sound about right.

He's clearly a very good striker, but I feel like a Shearer or Owen would have absolute rinsed the current target if they were afforded the luxury of playing up front for England now. They might have actually contributed in a tournament as well.

I didn't really know much about internetional footie when they were playing, but I bet Kane has bagged about 80% of goals against teams that'd struggle to stay in league one.

I just can't get onboard with the sickening love in he gets when he's rarely contributed in any meaningful games for country.

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol Sound about right.

He's clearly a very good striker, but I feel like a Shearer or Owen would have absolute rinsed the current target if they were afforded the luxury of playing up front for England now. They might have actually contributed in a tournament as well.

I didn't really know much about internetional footie when they were playing, but I bet Kane has bagged about 80% of goals against teams that'd struggle to stay in league one.

I just can't get onboard with the sickening love in he gets when he's rarely contributed in any meaningful games for country.

20px-Flag_of_San_Marino.svg.png San Marino 5
21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Albania 4
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria 4
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 4
23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro 4
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 3
23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama 3
23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Ukraine 3
23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic 2
21px-Flag_of_Kosovo.svg.png Kosovo 2
23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania 2
23px-Flag_of_Malta.svg.png Malta 2
23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland 2
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland_%28Pantone%29.s Switzerland 2
23px-Flag_of_Tunisia.svg.png Tunisia 2
22px-Flag_of_Andorra.svg.png Andorra 1
23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png Colombia 1
23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png Croatia 1
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Denmark 1
23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png Hungary 1
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 1
23px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png Nigeria 1
23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 1
23px-Flag_of_Senegal.svg.png Senegal 1
23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png Slovenia 1
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey 1

Competition Caps Goals
FIFA World Cup 11 8
FIFA World Cup qualification 14 17
UEFA European Championship 11 4
UEFA European Championship qualifying 15 17
UEFA Nations League 17 3
Friendlies 13

18 were penalties (missed 4)

His 5 hat-tricks were against Panama, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Albania and San Marino.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

Let's be frank, international football is rubbish.

I miss the magic of being a kid with no idea and just watching the big England games without about anything other than the result :D

But it’s always been like that at international football - look at Jimmy Greaves’ record - 1 goal in a major tournament, but 11 goals against Northern Ireland in the home internationals and hat tricks against Peru, Scotland, Luxembourg and Norway.

You play the majority of your games against sides at a significantly lower level at international football if you play for a major European or South American nation, some of which have a tiny population and little interest in football, that’s always been the case.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

Every striker from the top nations stat pad against the weaker international teams tbf. I think where you can give Kane credit is that his performances for his club have been consistently good for a number of years now to the point that he's made himself the first name on the team sheet for England, which has put him in a position to feature often enough to break the record. But yeah, they don't really mean that much against crap teams or in friendlies. 

Hopefully he does help England win something though, the next Euro's is a massive opportunity with the talent we have. Apart from France, there isn't another side with our strength in depth. 

Yeah, that's fair. I think my issue is more with people that make a big deal of these things rather than people like Kane. 

I don't know if it's a recent thing, or something I've noticed more in recent years. Certain achievements and milestones seem to be over-exaggerated or celebrated OTT (in my opinion of course) Probably a symptom of social media to be fair and the desire to make the most mundane things seem amazing. It just feels like sincerity is a thing of the past and any achievements are amazing regardless of context.

In my mind he's a very good striker, proven for Spurs year after year. The way people go on though, making a huge deal out of him becoming the all time leading scorer. It feels like circumstance has played a fair role in it. You'd be forgiven for thinking he was the greatest striker to ever grace a football pitch.

I then of course try and provide an argument to the contrary and end up sounding like I'm slating someone :D  I'm just trying to say, "maybe it's not the amazing achievement that it's being made out to be" Here's why I think that.

Someone giving me 2 or 3 proper man of the match performances in a major tournaments is worth more to me than someone scoring a few pens and tap ins.

18 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Yeah, that's fair. I think my issue is more with people that make a big deal of these things rather than people like Kane. 

I don't know if it's a recent thing, or something I've noticed more in recent years. Certain achievements and milestones seem to be over-exaggerated or celebrated OTT (in my opinion of course) Probably a symptom of social media to be fair and the desire to make the most mundane things seem amazing. It just feels like sincerity is a thing of the past and any achievements are amazing regardless of context.

In my mind he's a very good striker, proven for Spurs year after year. The way people go on though, making a huge deal out of him becoming the all time leading scorer. It feels like circumstance has played a fair role in it. You'd be forgiven for thinking he was the greatest striker to ever grace a football pitch.

I then of course try and provide an argument to the contrary and end up sounding like I'm slating someone :D  I'm just trying to say, "maybe it's not the amazing achievement that it's being made out to be" Here's why I think that.

Someone giving me 2 or 3 proper man of the match performances in a major tournaments is worth more to me than someone scoring a few pens and tap ins.

If they score a few pens and tap ins they count just as much, I will be celebrating the same… now I wish Kane had actually put that penalty away for France… they are pretty important to score 

Edited by foxes_rule1978