Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

How does the league title 'I hate spurs' stuff reflect badly lol ?

If anything the league Cup stuff is worse. The league title stuff is actually relevant. It's recent, was over the biggest prize in English football and they were beyond disrespectful throughout. What's the point if you can't have fun with it? 

The League Cup, I am not referring to the loss of a cup final! Nonetheless, I t’s very boring and unoriginal. I have more hatred for Man City, they cheated their way to champions league football, which we would have got those seasons(conceding that we should never been in a position where we missed out). 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Spurs have won the fa cup 8 times, league cup probably more than us and the league a couple of times. Yes in recent years, they’ve not won as much as their neighbours in the league table, but their history is impressive. I agree they should be applauded, because if they’d have been bankrolled like Chelsea, Man City etc, they’d have more trophies I’m sure. 
We beat them to the league title because we were the better team and the fallout from that should be we forget about them. Yet the ladbible/away days nonsense that is purported on this forum and within the football sphere is so dull. ‘Spursy’ is quite cringe (not a dig at you)

I was only 4/5 when we lost to them in the league cup final, can understand some fans hating on basis of what happened there, but the league title ‘I hate Spurs’ is so unoriginal it reflects badly on our fan base.

The league is the true standard of ability, as anything can happen in cups. 

Spurs have won the league twice. That's good enough for joint 14th - below Everton's 9, Sunderland's 6 and even Huddersfield's 3.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_champions

Its impressive compared to our 1, but not really evidence of one of the 6 giants of the English game as the media would have you believe...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, westernpark said:

The League Cup, I am not referring to the loss of a cup final! Nonetheless, I t’s very boring and unoriginal. I have more hatred for Man City, they cheated their way to champions league football, which we would have got those seasons(conceding that we should never been in a position where we missed out). 

The man city stuff is more boring and unoriginal :dunno:

Whats boring about a semi rivalry bought on by a battle for a league title? It makes the game better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koke said:

The reality about Tottenham that almost nobody mentions is that they're not that big of a club compared to who they're competetimg against. Spurs don't have an illustrious history of winning like Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, and even Chelsea now. To finish regular top 4 and reach a CL final is a phenomenal achievement and should be applauded, but yet they've being compared to what Chelsea or Liverpool do. Spurs have been hugely successful in the last decade.

Spurs had won a trophy in every decade from the 1950s through to their last in 2008. Only since then have they failed. This is a hard fact for their fans to accept. This is why they are a big club historically. Putting aside them not winning the league when we did it is surprising they have not won FA cup etc while a top six team.

11 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Spurs have won the league twice. That's good enough for joint 14th - below Everton's 9, Sunderland's 6 and even Huddersfield's 3.

Its impressive compared to our 1, but not really evidence of one of the 6 giants of the English game as the media would have you believe...

First to do the double in 20th century. First British side to win a European trophy. Only in recent times have they been displaced as the main London rivals to Arsenal by Chelsea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Until the start of the PL Spurs had won the League twice Chelsea once, but since the Abramovich ££££s Chelsea have won it 5 more times. Likewise Man City had won it twice but now have 8 to their name 6 of those in the last 10 years . I think that tells us more about the impact of recent riches than whether a club is historically bigger. The money has completely twisted the status of clubs.

Having said even before the PL riches clubs were very dependent on the £££s of local businesses as well as their catchment areas.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

That's a convenient way of looking at it. I probably don't agree, but there are some interesting numbers regarding league title wins there.

32 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

First to do the double in 20th century. First British side to win a European trophy. Only in recent times have they been displaced as the main London rivals to Arsenal by Chelsea. 

Is that a true measure though? They have only won the league twice, but  because they had a good run that year won the FA Cup the same year, it stands out in people's memories. Its the same argument with Forest, who had that run of league and European Cup twice. I would rate that above a double and a Cup Winners Cup, (and they have won the league 3 times compared to Spurs twice), but neither is anything like the Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal records of 20, 19 and 13 league titles, which are all over a long period of time.

Agree with @davieG that its all a bit of a moot point now that the Premier League and Champions League have changed the landscape and given Chelsea and Man City the change to join the elite that they were never part of. But Spurs?

7 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Is that a true measure though? They have only won the league twice, but  because they had a good run that year won the FA Cup the same year, it stands out in people's memories. Its the same argument with Forest, who had that run of league and European Cup twice. I would rate that above a double and a Cup Winners Cup, (and they have won the league 3 times compared to Spurs twice), but neither is anything like the Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal records of 20, 19 and 13 league titles, which are all over a long period of time.

Agree with @davieG that its all a bit of a moot point now that the Premier League and Champions League have changed the landscape and given Chelsea and Man City the change to join the elite that they were never part of. But Spurs?

Spurs did also win 2 UEFA cups. Also for long periods the London glamour boys with Arsenal gave them a status that although odd to us was a thing. There was a time before lots of tv matches that the FA Cup had a kudos that the league did not have. Seems daft but true. Listen to some of the old pathe newsreels of the time on Cup final day. For fans of a certain age this was when Spurs established their reputation as a big club.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Missus was watching Tik Tok on the sofa next to me. Thought I noticed something familiar. Had to do a double take. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrOLEJSInSk/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

We're massive in Uganda? 

.....but shy.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Missus was watching Tik Tok on the sofa next to me. Thought I noticed something familiar. Had to do a double take. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrOLEJSInSk/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

We're massive in Uganda? 

I’ve been watching highly paid athletes perform in that kit for the last 8 months.  And I haven’t seen anything move half as well as that girl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Why the obsession with Spurs? They are obsessed enough with themselves as it is. 

More obsessed with the Gooners, they were not really considered top tier until media spin started with this top six  guff , remember a decade or so ago when Bale was there and they were as they are now and considered also rans back then on football focus etc.,

Think the spin backfired since they hardly win anything in the modern era  of football and managers there are on a hiding to nothing.

5 hours ago, ithuriel said:

More obsessed with the Gooners, they were not really considered top tier until media spin started with this top six  guff , remember a decade or so ago when Bale was there and they were as they are now and considered also rans back then on football focus etc.,

Think the spin backfired since they hardly win anything in the modern era  of football and managers there are on a hiding to nothing.

from my (hated of spurs) point of view, this is awesome

long may the non-winners remain part of the 'big six' for comedy value alone.

7 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

The idea that Forest don't hate us is some huge myth. Tonight on Nottingham train station platform said different. 

Also singing about Leicester when they were 1-0 up

22 hours ago, westernpark said:

Spurs have won the fa cup 8 times, league cup probably more than us and the league a couple of times. Yes in recent years, they’ve not won as much as their neighbours in the league table, but their history is impressive. I agree they should be applauded, because if they’d have been bankrolled like Chelsea, Man City etc, they’d have more trophies I’m sure. 
We beat them to the league title because we were the better team and the fallout from that should be we forget about them. Yet the ladbible/away days nonsense that is purported on this forum and within the football sphere is so dull. ‘Spursy’ is quite cringe (not a dig at you)

I was only 4/5 when we lost to them in the league cup final, can understand some fans hating on basis of what happened there, but the league title ‘I hate Spurs’ is so unoriginal it reflects badly on our fan base.

Recent years? they have not won anything? when was the last time they won any trophy? you are stretching the word recent beyond it's meaning. And it's not just our fans who laugh at doing a Spursy the whole footballing world does. No one likes Spurs for a reason, their fanbase and their delusions of grandeur. They have and never will be as big a club as Arsenal or Chelsea for that matter.