Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

7 hours ago, Fightforever said:

How does Rodgers have such good PR. Everyone seems to think Rodgers wasn't backed even though he's been given the most amount mount of money to spend we have ever given a manager.

He also mentions the poll where half the forum voted that they want Top to sell the club and calls us ungreatful.

Couldn’t watch more than a couple of minutes of that as the guys voice was so annoying to add to the shit he was saying.

He makes a big point that Blackburn went down 17 years after they won the title (in 2012) and we are 7 years. Am I imagining the time they went down later in the 1990’s about 4 years after they won it?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Couldn’t watch more than a couple of minutes of that as the guys voice was so annoying to add to the shit he was saying.

He makes a big point that Blackburn went down 17 years after they won the title (in 2012) and we are 7 years. Am I imagining the time they went down later in the 1990’s about 4 years after they won it?

Not imagining it. Blackburn went down iin 1998-99 - so in the fourth season after winning the title. 

The noisy phallus in this videos is another great example of "influencers" who have no idea what they're talking about. Does my head in. I mean, it's not hard to get simple facts right. 

How he and his like rack up 100K followers is beyond me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HybridFox said:

The media will absolutely milk this. At least when we are in the Championship, we won't get as much mainstream coverage I suppose (cue the All or nothing/Leicester till I die series)

Just try and ignore it. 

We are held to a different standard than any other club by the media when it comes to removal of managers. Which is basically because we are the only club aside from the two Manc, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea to win anything!

45 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

Everton face being sued for £300m as Leeds, Leicester, Forest and Burnley team up over losses | Daily Mail Online

couldnt be arsed to put this in another thread or find it, but it contains us.....

could get very messy for Everton

In which case, we should all sue City for not spending any money. 

51 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

Not imagining it. Blackburn went down iin 1998-99 - so in the fourth season after winning the title. 

The noisy phallus in this videos is another great example of "influencers" who have no idea what they're talking about. Does my head in. I mean, it's not hard to get simple facts right. 

How he and his like rack up 100K followers is beyond me. 

Think Villa went down 5-6 years after winning the European Cup.

Like Villa relegated 5 years after winning the first division and European cup,

Blackburn relegated 4 years after being premier League champions, 

@StanSP

Villa relegated 86/87, came straight back up finished 2nd in 87/88, stayed in Prem until 2016.

Blackburn relegated in 98/99, came back up in 00/01, stayed in Prem for another 10 years. 

1 hour ago, FrankieADZ said:

Everton face being sued for £300m as Leeds, Leicester, Forest and Burnley team up over losses | Daily Mail Online

couldnt be arsed to put this in another thread or find it, but it contains us.....

could get very messy for Everton

Doubt anything will happen otherwise they will be forced to open Pandora's box at the other end of the table with all the dubious deals from Man City, Newcastle etc. In fact they have Man City pretty much bang to rights but choose to avoid confronting them as it is. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Yup its proof he has no clue beyond a very surface level knowledge. 

14 hours ago, Fightforever said:

How does Rodgers have such good PR. Everyone seems to think Rodgers wasn't backed even though he's been given the most amount mount of money to spend we have ever given a manager.

He also mentions the poll where half the forum voted that they want Top to sell the club and calls us ungreatful.

Wow, that video.... It's just horrendously researched for starters.

15 hours ago, Fightforever said:

A net spend of £20m over 4 years isn’t backing the manager. He made lots of errors with the squad he had but the board certainly didn’t back him. 

£5m a season net spend on transfer fees is always going to have you near the bottom of this league now there are so many clubs with deep pockets. 

56 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

A net spend of £20m over 4 years isn’t backing the manager. He made lots of errors with the squad he had but the board certainly didn’t back him. 

£5m a season net spend on transfer fees is always going to have you near the bottom of this league now there are so many clubs with deep pockets. 

I mean that's a bit misleading. first season was ~ £16m, second season even, 3rd season ~ £50m. net spend of ~ £66m in three years is reasonable backing. it becomes that low (and it's more like £33m net spend) only once Wes Fofana leaves late in the window. He was then given £47m (if £15m each for Faes and Soutter and £17m for Kristiansen is correct) of the 80m received for Fofana pretty much as soon as it was available. it's a lie to claim he wasn't backed by manipulating how the net spend looks over time (and is probably higher when you consider that we probably had a sell on fee to St Etienne for Fofana)

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

i'm just glad he wasn't backed more. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

i'm just glad he wasn't backed more. 

To be fair, if he'd had enough money to buy the kind of players he wanted, he could have done quite well.

His problem was trying to get players to play in a style they weren't comfortable with or capable of and not being flexible enough to adapt to working with what he had.

1 hour ago, Pete52 said:

No it’s not and transfer fees are a distraction, as our duration in the PL coupled with our winning the league and our shotgun contracts made a mess

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

To be fair, if he'd had enough money to buy the kind of players he wanted, he could have done quite well.

His problem was trying to get players to play in a style they weren't comfortable with or capable of and not being flexible enough to adapt to working with what he had.

Yet he pushed very hard apparently to sign Vestergaard, no one more unsuitable to fit his style of play. Who's to say with more money he would have got better more suitable  players

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Saxondale said:

That's a brilliant bit of writing.

He manages to pin down specific relegation factors, notably the sullen resignation of Rodgers, characterless fragility of the team and complacent carelessness of club management.

But he also grasps and conveys the general air of malaise and character-free drift at every level (in Rodgers' dugout, in the boardroom and on the pitch).

A great case study in how a club that should have been in mid-table security ended up getting relegated.

Leeds and Southampton went down mainly, if not entirely, because their squads were among the poorest in the division.

Even after downgrades on Schmeichel & Fofana, in terms of simple footballing ability I reckon we probably had about the 9th best squad - and finished 18th. But we know that footballing ability alone is not enough.

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Always seem like a reasonable bunch. Aside from the odd moronic comment, a lot of fair points in there, not least this one: "Buying the Aldi version of David Luiz didn’t help . He’s got to be up there as one of the worst defenders in premier league history."