Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

They seem to know a lot about us. What's all this back to their normal level stuff? 

Nothing against Sunderland, but the only thing they've had to cling on to as a fan base over recent times is a superiority complex about how "massive" they are. Inevitably results in patronising comments like "back to their level".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, martyn said:

Nothing against Sunderland, but the only thing they've had to cling on to as a fan base over recent times is a superiority complex about how "massive" they are. Inevitably results in patronising comments like "back to their level".

Well they are punching above their own level!😉

6 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Everything we achieved was complete luck according to Rory Smith on Monday Night Club. Interesting take... 

Maybe Luck was a Factor... I don't think so, but one thing is for sure, we are the only club that has won the Premier League where money was not a significant factor.

Most teams (possible exception Liverpool) buy the league, we won it.

9 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Everything we achieved was complete luck according to Rory Smith on Monday Night Club. Interesting take... 

We’ve had some fantastic players and deserved lots of our success but at a strategic level we have been lucky. Appointing Ranieri and winning the league was hugely fortuitous.

I thought Rory Smith was sort of right. He was saying unlike Brighton when appointing a manager we don't really have a succession plan. The board are more reactive - but in the past made good decisions that mostly worked out. For every Ranieri there was a Shakespeare or Smith; so when it's worked out well, it could be down some luck.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

Absolute luck to get promoted, avoid relegation and maintain a league winning push across and entire season. Well, three season’s worth of luck. So much luck. All of the lucks. 

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Didn't listen but I bet he defended Rodgers to the hills.

14 hours ago, Guesty said:

I thought Rory Smith was sort of right. He was saying unlike Brighton when appointing a manager we don't really have a succession plan. The board are more reactive - but in the past made good decisions that mostly worked out. For every Ranieri there was a Shakespeare or Smith; so when it's worked out well, it could be down some luck.

I'm happy for Brighton but I do think the media are vastly overrating how brilliantly run they are. They've had a good run with recruitment and it's great having succession plans but ultimately I'm not sure you can keep selling players for £40--50m, and then replacing them with unknown gems and continue being successful over time. For every Mahrez or Kanté there's a Gray or Kaputska, as we know ourselves.

i have also heard Brighton being praised for letting players go 'at the right time', unlike what we did in paying higher wages to keep our better players. That's all very well but it's exactly what Southampton did a few years back and look at them now. It's just really hard for any teams outside the big 7 to build and develop their teams, as unlike the big clubs they are always open to being raided for their best players. It's what make the other 13 vulnerable to relegation with a couple of bad transfer windows.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I'm happy for Brighton but I do think the media are vastly overrating how brilliantly run they are. They've had a good run with recruitment and it's great having succession plans but ultimately I'm not sure you can keep selling players for £40--50m, and then replacing them with unknown gems and continue being successful over time. For every Mahrez or Kanté there's a Gray or Kaputska, as we know ourselves.

i have also heard Brighton being praised for letting players go 'at the right time', unlike what we did in paying higher wages to keep our better players. That's all very well but it's exactly what Southampton did a few years back and look at them now. It's just really hard for any teams outside the big 7 to build and develop their teams, as unlike the big clubs they are always open to being raided for their best players. It's what make the other 13 vulnerable to relegation with a couple of bad transfer windows.

Brighton have never had to play in Europe, until next season. It changes and muddles the mindset. Players expectations change, and if you want to give it a go you have to have more depth in your squad and you can't get away with kids.  We will see, but Brighton showed some alarming frailties towards the end of the season, and their squad is getting raided too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Part of the reason Brighton are rated so highly is their owner Tony Bloom who is an incredibly smart man - he's structuring the club in a much better way than we have or Southampton did. Whether their recruitment will still hold up after letting Dan Ashworth go to Newcastle is a question but his methodology - including essentially reverse-engineering betting markets is to beat the bookies at their own game which is how he got part of his fortune! - strike me not only as someone who's always two or three steps ahead of his competition but as someone who surrounds himself with similarly talented people running the football operations.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lfu said:

Part of the reason Brighton are rated so highly is their owner Tony Bloom who is an incredibly smart man - he's structuring the club in a much better way than we have or Southampton did. Whether their recruitment will still hold up after letting Dan Ashworth go to Newcastle is a question but his methodology - including essentially reverse-engineering betting markets is to beat the bookies at their own game which is how he got part of his fortune! - strike me not only as someone who's always two or three steps ahead of his competition but as someone who surrounds himself with similarly talented people running the football operations.

this is it for me. Southampton went down the drain because their board got restructured and the new lot were clueless. We've gone down the drain because our chairman and DoF are incompetent and gave over too much power to a man who only ever wanted to use us as a stepping stone back into a top six job and would jump at the first opportunity. Brighton and Brentford are run by very intelligent blokes in Bloom and Benham. I doubt they'll follow us

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lfu said:

Re: Brighton

Selling two players this summer but secured signings for three players already. Use the European loan market to improve players and prepare for the PL. They have a winger in Belgium who is on same output figures as Mitoma. They are two steps ahead. 

I'd say the time of reckoning is if they gamble at some point and/or they have to maintain a spine - when Gross, March, Dunk etc reach the end, how do you still maintain that 'standard' of professionalism. 

6 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Selling two players this summer but secured signings for three players already. Use the European loan market to improve players and prepare for the PL. They have a winger in Belgium who is on same output figures as Mitoma. They are two steps ahead. 

I'd say the time of reckoning is if they gamble at some point and/or they have to maintain a spine - when Gross, March, Dunk etc reach the end, how do you still maintain that 'standard' of professionalism. 

Yeah but signing Milner is not going to make up for losing Caicedo. 

Will be interesting to see what happens to them. In a way I hope they prove that it can be done sustainably, to give hope to other clubs like us.

Just now, CosbehFox said:

This is why you sign the young players with the potential. Blood them in, get them to understand the values of the club. Sign a couple of experienced players who have been at high profile clubs and played in high profile games along the way, Lallana, Welbeck, now Milner. It’s not all about game day, it’s about how you apply yourself off the pitch, how you recover. 

It’s what happened with us. We had the core of Kasper, Wes, King, Konchesky and to some extent Nugent who had been here for a while ( All experienced pros when we started to hit our heights) and the other players learnt off of them about our club values - Vardy, Mahrez, N’Didi, Maddison and they all brought into it which has moulded them into the players they are today and why we’ve commanded high fees for players. I remember Kasper saying “Everyone who’s left says - They like it where they are, but there’s nothing like Leicester” and sadly that now seems to be coming to an end due to mismanagement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Southampton have had 2 bad takeovers which has culminated in where they are now. I don't really see Bloom selling, so they shouldn't go the same way. However it's hard to see them kicking on. They'll just become a Palace, consistently finishing mid table