Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

2 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Funny he has to qualify it by saying "top three or four clubs" now, because we have single-handedly destroyed the concept of a top six in the past two seasons. It gets harder and harder with every passing season to belittle us or our standing within the game, and I love to see it.

Also worth reminding pundits at every given opportunity that we poached him from a relegated West Brom side. His stock was at an all-time low when he came to us.

Couldn't Ferdinand say something like this where he gives a compliment to Leicester and show how smart we were to grab him when we did and for the amount.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Funny he has to qualify it by saying "top three or four clubs" now, because we have single-handedly destroyed the concept of a top six in the past two seasons. It gets harder and harder with every passing season to belittle us or our standing within the game, and I love to see it.

Also worth reminding pundits at every given opportunity that we poached him from a relegated West Brom side. His stock was at an all-time low when he came to us.

Edit - thank you to @davieG for posting the article text. I despise the Mercury's clickbait pit of a website nowadays, so it's nice to have been able to read their substance-less article without having to help them with their ad revenue.

I always post their full articles for that reason although i normally add the link. I have no guilt over this as I firmly believe they get a lot of their 'news' from this forum.

He was hardly going to play for Man City or Liverpool though, was he?

It's just a baseless comment and very ignorant of how well run we are as a club and how much we try to break in to that select group without spending £100m/£200m per summer. 

Not only does it look like a snipe at us, it's also a bit of a dig at Evans' integrity too.

'no disrespect to Leicester but...' is pretty much the equivalent of 'I'm not racist but...' or 'I'm not sexist but...' etc...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I always post their full articles for that reason although i normally add the link. I have no guilt over this as I firmly believe they get a lot of their 'news' from this forum.

Didn't realize how much people don't like the mercury. I will remember to post the full article with the link for next time.

23 minutes ago, ShadowKing said:

Just read what Ferdinand said about Johnny Evans, is it really necessary to say that last part?

Can't he just say talk about what kind of player Evans is and how he plays as a defender and be done. Even though he didnt mean to disrespect Leicester he did.

3 minutes ago, ShadowKing said:

Couldn't Ferdinand say something like this where he gives a compliment to Leicester and show how smart we were to grab him when we did and for the amount.

Saying it when Evans last game was literally winning the FA Cup, too. He meant "all disrespect to Leicester" and it was a classless remark.

6 hours ago, ShadowKing said:

Didn't realize how much people don't like the mercury. I will remember to post the full article with the link for next time.

Honestly it's gone so far down the toilet (along with so many other local news rags bought up by the group that owns the Daily Mirror) that I wish someone would create a proper competitor for local LCFC news. There are plenty of ways to regurgitate Twitter rumors without coming across as a poor man's Daily Star.

• Like 1

Ferdinand has a point.

Man City were in for him the season before (we were interested too) when the price was £20m+. It was also no secret that Man City needed a CB with Kompany on his way out, and we saw last season that it needed Ruben Dias to come in to steady the ship for them.

Liverpool can't rely on Joe Gomez to stay fit so Evans would've got game time there.

Man Utd desperately needed someone like him a couple of seasons ago.

But, it just shows how well we do business. If someone's available, we go for it. Not only are we good at identifying players, we're good at convincing them to come here. People would have definitely written Evans off after WBA's relegation, but he and our recruitment team (and coaches) have proved how good they are with what has happened since.

Sure, he could've gone to a top four side but can you imagine the backlash among the Twitter 12-year-olds: 'dead club', 'banter club', 'I'm done'. Fans of those teams don't like the £3.5m signing from a relegated club as it doesn't scream ambition. They're the same kind of people saying Chelsea are geniuses for bringing Lukaku back for about £70m more than what they sold him for.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

You’ve lost me…

38 minutes ago, Livid said:

Phishing I think……maybe! 

Just an observation that the chips in here needed a bit of fish ….. why do so many get worked up by pundits in general trying to push our players elsewhere or commenting that we are ‘little old Leicester’ ??

it doesn’t matter - let them do it - will make the eventual admission that we aren’t even sweeter when it comes …

14 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Man City were in for him the season before (we were interested too) when the price was £20m+. It was also no secret that Man City needed a CB with Kompany on his way out, and we saw last season that it needed Ruben Dias to come in to steady the ship for them.

Liverpool can't rely on Joe Gomez to stay fit so Evans would've got game time there.

Man Utd desperately needed someone like him a couple of seasons ago.

So why didn't they get him, Man C £20 yeah I'm sure that stopped them. Man U why did they let him go. 

Ferdinand may be correct in his abilities but he would be playing for one of those teams if they really wanted him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

So why didn't they get him, Man C £20 yeah I'm sure that stopped them. Man U why did they let him go. 

Ferdinand may be correct in his abilities but he would be playing for one of those teams if they really wanted him.

Yeah I agree, if those kind of teams really wanted him, he'd be at one of them.

Maybe they just didn't appreciate his abilities at the time. Maybe Evans wanted a guaranteed high amount of playing time which he might not have got at those clubs.

It's easy in hindsight to say that Evans should've gone to one of those clubs because we know the ability is still there, but at the time maybe that ability wasn't so obvious. Perhaps many saw him going down the same route as the likes of John O'Shea and Wes Brown. Perhaps, also, those clubs preferred to spend their money in other areas or were looking for generational players who could be at the club for 10 years or more (e.g. Dias).

What's clear now is that Evans could've been a good signing for a top four side but they didn't take the chance or just weren't as interested (Man City) as we were led to believe, and that it's another victory for Leicester's recruitment team.

28 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Foreign owners never work out well for English clubs... :ph34r:

I fear the worst!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

.....and look where  it's led us.

With Swansea, he won promotion to the Premier League, before guiding them to an 11th placed finish the following season.
With Liverpool, he took them to within an inch of winning the Premier League, and oversaw the signing of Philippe Coutinho for £8.5m.
With Celtic, he won the treble in his first season and went unbeaten in the league - the first Scottish team to do so since 1899.
With Leicester, he's taken them from 12th, led them back into Europe after one full season, has the highest win % of any manager in the club's history and has won the FA Cup & the Community Shield.
Brendan Rodgers, one of the finest managers to have graced the English game over the last two decades.

May be an image of 1 person

FFS I can't take all this success.
I'm conditioned to perennial failure.
I just can't take it anymore.

Love Brendan but that is not a success.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Depends what you measure it against compared to their recent history it was a big step forward.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Not a success but still in the top 4 Liverpool points totals in the last 30 years.

So pretty decent for a manager who had no big job experience and 1 year in the PL with Swansea before his time at Liverpool

Edited by coolhandfox

11 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not a success but still in the top 4 Liverpool points totals in the last 30 years.

So pretty decent for a manager who had no big job experience and 1 year in the PL with Swansea before his time at Liverpool

Yeah but league changes. Plus the league used to have more sides and before that only two points a win. Too difficult to compare 30 years of league football with all the changes.

Not knocking it but we all laugh at Spurs "nearly" winning the league yet praise Rodgers for doing the same with Liverpool. It's not a success for a club the size of Liverpool.

30 minutes ago, davieG said:

Depends what you measure it against compared to their recent history it was a big step forward.

Tbf Rafa did the same thing, finished 2nd, but also managed to win them the FA Cup and Champions League. And that was only about a decade or so earlier.

It's not as if they had finished 10th for the past 30 years.

Edited by Fox92