Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It isn't exactly a failure, though.

Well he didn't deliver anything.

.. Not compared to here. Two trophies here is a success. It's good for him also that he's been able to do it in the PL again.

29 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah but league changes. Plus the league used to have more sides and before that only two points a win. Too difficult to compare 30 years of league football with all the changes.

Not knocking it but we all laugh at Spurs "nearly" winning the league yet praise Rodgers for doing the same with Liverpool. It's not a success for a club the size of Liverpool.

Tbf Rafa did the same thing, finished 2nd, but also managed to win them the FA Cup and Champions League. And that was only about a decade or so earlier.

It's not as if they had finished 10th for the past 30 years.

Two point for a win changed in 1981, so 40 years ago. The last 30 years would have been 3 points for a win. Having less games make the points total even more impressive. (It been 20 teams since 95 (26 years))

BR Liverpool finished second 2 points behind Man C, winning 8 of there last 10.  Liverpool 84pts

Spurs finished 3rd, 11 points behind us, winning 4 of there last 10                         Spurs     71pts 

Not really comparable in my view.

Like I said not a success but decent,.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Well he didn't deliver anything.

.. Not compared to here. Two trophies here is a success. It's good for him also that he's been able to do it in the PL again.

I don't want to argue semantics with you personally, because there's nothing top be gained by splitting hairs over this sort of thing. However, I think he started a process within Liverpool in much the same way Pearson did for us - and most people understand the significance of NP.

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't want to argue semantics with you personally, because there's nothing top be gained by splitting hairs over this sort of thing. However, I think he started a process within Liverpool in much the same way Pearson did for us - and most people understand the significance of NP.

Out of interest in what way do you think he laid similar groundwork as Pearson?

As things got progressively worse at Liverpool under Rodgers after that first season.

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Out of interest in what way do you think he laid similar groundwork as Pearson?

As things got progressively worse at Liverpool under Rodgers after that first season.

Progress is not always linear :) 

I don't want a huge discussion, but I think he altered perceptions/expectations within the club.

16 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry didn't mean to go off on one @Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot.

I just thought you took my post out of context.

Also @HighPeakFox @coolhandfox thanks for the debate but I'm not carrying on now.

I wasn't criticising Brendan. Bloody hell, as I said, I love the man.

The cheek of saying you love someone but not having them as your profile pic! Some people :dry:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, davieG said:

This the Merc version of it

Rio Ferdinand gives controversial opinion on Jonny Evans that Leicester City fans won't like
Evans has been a crucial member of the Leicester City defence for three years but is currently sidelined with a foot problem

ByLuke Pawley
12:32, 11 AUG 2021

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand is "surprised" that Jonny Evans is not playing for a club higher in the Premier League table than Leicester City.

Evans, who is currently sidelined with a foot problem, has made 111 appearances for City since joining the club from West Bromwich Albion in the summer of 2018.

The £3.5m buyout clause which Leicester activated that summer has widely gone down as one of the shrewdest pieces of Premier League transfer business in recent years.

But Ferdinand believes Evans should be at "one of the top three or four clubs" due to both his work ethic and his ability.

“He’s had a fantastic career. It’s justified because of the work ethic he’s shown," Ferdinand told the Belfast Telegraph.

"He’s always been serious about his game, always worked hard, been diligent, and you get a longer career when you do that. You earn your luck, and I think he’s done that.

“Not to be disrespectful to Leicester but I’m surprised he didn’t go to one of the top three or four clubs outside of Man United, because I think he’s that good as a centre-back.

“I think his career has been something that wouldn’t be a surprise to anyone who watched him come up through the ranks as a kid at Man United.”

Not really sure (apart from the fact that it’s just pure clickbait of course) why this would be ‘controversial’, or why Leicester fans wouldn’t like it. Pretty much as soon as I saw him play for us I was surprised he wasn‘t at a club higher up than us too. We got a bargain.

37 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry didn't mean to go off on one @Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot.

I just thought you took my post out of context.

Also @HighPeakFox @coolhandfox thanks for the debate but I'm not carrying on now.

I wasn't criticising Brendan. Bloody hell, as I said, I love the man.

No worries.

The great thing about football is the difference of opinions it creates and the conversation about those.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 07:21, UniFox21 said:

Really good listen that. Alex Crook was spot on, we will struggle to compete with teams spending £100mill or near to that on a single player. A 5th place finish again would be the next step in our development

He's a really good reporter and broadcaster. He spoke superbly about us.

There's a feeling that "the press/media" somehow don't want us to succeed. That really isn't true.

(Even if they sometimes underplay us, which isn't always a bad thing.)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Progress is not always linear :) 

I don't want a huge discussion, but I think he altered perceptions/expectations within the club.

Oh I'd agree on progress not being linear in terms of results.

Once Rodgers was sacked, Michael Edwards and Klopp formed a hell of a partnership that put together one of the most frightening and well performing teams I've seen. I know very little about the club so can't really debate, but from what I've read I'd attribute Liverpool's recent success down to those 2 rather than Rodgers. 

On the subject of Rodgers, It's quite interesting seeing Rodgers develop as a manager in real time, looking at him with a bit of distance at the end of a season you can see him trying to grow as a manager year on year. During the season I sometimes find myself a bit aghast at his decision making, but that's bound to happen. Football is very subjective. What is clear though is that he is always looking to learn and develop and at his core, he does want to play the kind of football that I enjoy. Not only that, but he is proving capable of winning silverware, which is huge.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Oh I'd agree on progress not being linear in terms of results.

Once Rodgers was sacked, Michael Edwards and Klopp formed a hell of a partnership that put together one of the most frightening and well performing teams I've seen. I know very little about the club so can't really debate, but from what I've read I'd attribute Liverpool's recent success down to those 2 rather than Rodgers. 

On the subject of Rodgers, It's quite interesting seeing Rodgers develop as a manager in real time, looking at him with a bit of distance at the end of a season you can see him trying to grow as a manager year on year. During the season I sometimes find myself a bit aghast at his decision making, but that's bound to happen. Football is very subjective. What is clear though is that he is always looking to learn and develop and at his core, he does want to play the kind of football that I enjoy. Not only that, but he is proving capable of winning silverware, which is huge.

Absolutely. I get the distinct feeling he's reviewed last season and thought 'I got x, y and z wrong, that's not happening again'.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

would love to read the thread on here about this. does anyone know where i’ll find it without having to go through 6,000 pages of threads about inflatable dinosaurs and preki?

Here's a couple. Don't tell me what I wrote as I wasn't full of optimism but then when it comes to LCFC I never am. :blush:

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/signed-harvey-barnes-liverpool-summer-21267049.amp

What the fvck have I just read??

Does this honestly count as journalism these days?

Stealing a living.

The Mercury are always doing this with players we're 'linked' too. Just more click bait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Here's a couple. Don't tell me what I wrote as I wasn't full of optimism but then when it comes to LCFC I never am. :blush:

These are hilarious to re-read parts of, thanks for sharing. Gone from fears of being the “Leicester Ladyboys” with 26m debt to one of the best run clubs in the country. 

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Shush. Word on the street is that he's been trawling this forum to learn from the FT experts as to where he's going wrong. 

Day 381: the FT regulars still haven't worked out that I've been the one sending Brendan tips from here via WhatsApp. Texted him today to tell him that Kermogant is decent and to blame Wellens if things go wrong. Still gutted he went with Daka instead of Maynard. :cry:

• Like 1