Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

13 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Literally only team not mentioned on Totally Football podcast’s preview 

A lot of the “we give proper insight and analysis, not like the lazy legacy media outlets” types are just as bad. I’ve never been less bothered by podcasts, football journos are increasingly of a hive mind.

It’s weird, I get frustrated like a lot of others about the lack of in-depth coverage, however, I’m quite happy for us to be looked over yet again. It never seems to do the squad any harm. I take a lot of comfort in knowing the irritation we must be causing by splitting up the big earners and long may it continue!

• Like 3

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/terry-premier-league-man-united-24759185

John Terry believes Manchester United have opened the door for Leicester City to finally gatecrash the top four.

The Premier League got underway on Friday night as Arsenal lost 2-0 to newly promoted Brentford.

Saturday will see the likes of United, Chelsea, Leicester and Liverpool open their campaigns, while Manchester City face Tottenham on Sunday.

The race for a Champions League berth looks destined to be a closely contested, with a host of teams battling it out at the top of the division.

Asked who he thought could secure a top four place, five-time Premier League winner Terry, believes the Red Devils will miss out.

John Terry thinks Manchester United could fall short in the race for a top four finish
John Terry thinks Manchester United could fall short in the race for a top four finish
“I’d go Chelsea, Man City as first or second, I’d go Leicester fourth and I will go Liverpool third.”

Pressed on why United will miss out, the Chelsea legend feels that with Marcus Rashford sidelined by injury, they may be short in the striking department.

Edinson Cavani will miss their clash with Leeds, but is set to have an integral role within Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad.

However, Terry thinks that to truly compete they will need to splash out on an elite striker which can guarantee 25-30 goals.

“With Rashford out, I don’t know quite how long he’s going to be out for, but quite possibly (that could be the area that lets them down) but they’ve got strength in depth,” Terry told Stadium Astro.

“With Cavani, he’s older and he needs managing. I think with Solskjaer playing and the likes of Michael Carrick being there, they’ll know they can’t push him every single day.

“He’s one of those players that they maybe need to send in, or keep inside and let him have a massage or a kind of spa day.

“It’s all about managing him and I think Solskjaer does that very well with all of his players.

“If they need to get the best out of Cavani for the first two or three months while Marcus is injured I’m sure they’ll know the best way possible to do that.

FOX CLEVER How Leicester sold five stars for £260m… then re-built a team now worth £430m that beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14908166/leicester-transfers-soyuncu-maddison-fa-cup-winners/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballfacebook150821&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1628967402

• Like 2

On 13/08/2021 at 09:27, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Or as he's the other side of the Atlantic, just say "Do the math".

ps - can someone explain why it's math not maths - Ontario?

My theory is that they took that S and used it to pluralise their Lego. :ph34r:

I'm always happy to take the piss when I hear "math" - mostly asking them how they've gotten this far in life by only solving a numeracy problem once.

On 13/08/2021 at 09:52, KingsX said:

fivethirtyeight’s annual pre-season reset factors in only two things: existing club ratings, and squad value.

Before a season begins, a team’s SPI ratings are based on two factors: its ratings at the end of the previous season, and its market value as calculated by Transfermarkt. We’ve found that a team’s market value — relative to their league’s average value — is strongly correlated with its end-of-season SPI rating. As a season plays out, a team’s ratings are adjusted after every match based on its performance in that match and the strength of its opponent.

In this year’s pre-season ranking, we are suffering, and Arsenal overrated, because of the clubs’ respective late-season runs -- more recent results are the most heavily weighted.  It’s purely results based.  Injuries, etc are not factored in.

LCFC dropped to #26 (our lowest ranking in nearly two years) by the end of last season.  Our squad value rising to world #15 has bumped us back up, but only three notches. 

euroclubindex have us 20th in Europe, six (!) spots below Arsenal.

27% chance of Arsenal making the UCL

neeeeeeext :crylaugh:

EDIT - wait is that the same chart I commented on a few days back? Man, it's a slow week when you're not playing 4 games in 48 hours. lol

Edited by OntarioFox

14 minutes ago, KingsX said:

a few American usages for y’all     (you all = “y’all”)

mathematics = “math

athletics = “ath

structure in mathematics which prevents an object from shrinking to a point = “hole

English and Canadian athletics fans lecturing my Yank ass on how to shrink mathematics = "ath holes"

Ath? Never heard that in my life, i thought it was Phys Ed. or Gym to you lot. lol

Gym makes sense though, since it takes place in a Gymnasium. Or do you call the Maths classroom the Mathnasium? That sounds pretty cool actually. Let's go Mathbowl!

Edited by OntarioFox

1 minute ago, OntarioFox said:

Ath? Never heard that in my life, i thought it was Phys Ed. or Gym to you lot. lol

you're right of course ... but you wouldn't have laughed at "gym holes"  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OntarioFox said:

logics* :ph34r:

As an American living in Leicester, I approve of this message. It is tough. I have had teachers complain about my kids using Americanisms. I have also had a wife complain about my kids using Americanisms. But I can't stand people who don't realize language develops, and get upset about Americans using American English in America.

• Like 2

Just now, Out Foxed said:

english people are ****ing goofs. piss their pants over people saying soccer and math. i do it as an englishman just to get them to bite. 

so bizarre.

especially when we completely butcher the language for our own slang anyway. 

Stupid also considering soccer is a UK word originally and was regularly used up until about the 70s I think.

• Like 1

Just now, Out Foxed said:

english people are ****ing goofs. piss their pants over people saying soccer and math. i do it as an englishman just to get them to bite. 

so bizarre.

especially when we completely butcher the language for our own slang anyway. 

I generally use American words where there is no confusion -- faucet, elevator, flashlight -- and English words where it has caused problems -- I say football, trousers, and let's just say a "fanny pack" is out of the question. Sometimes I will say "boot" but just can't psychological get myself around "bonnet", because it makes me think of Little House on the Prairie. Leicesterisms are even worse: I was here for over 18 months before I knew "Belvoir" was "Beaver" and seriously thought my wife was taking the piss when she first corrected me on the matter. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I checked this out before Soccer is of English origin and is a shortened version of Association.

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-do-some-people-call-football-soccer

One of the best-known differences between British and American English is the fact that the sport known as football in Great Britain is usually called soccer in the United States. Because the sport originated in England, it is often assumed that soccer is an Americanism. In fact, the word is thoroughly British in origin. So why is it that Americans (not to mention Canadians, Australians, and others) are likelier to use the word than Brits are? The answer lies in how the sport developed in each country.

Although football-type games have been around for centuries, the sport we know today is often said to have begun in 1863, when England’s newly formed Football Association wrote down a set of rules. At the time, it was the most widely played game of its kind in the country, but it wasn’t the only one. Rugby football, named after an English boarding school, was a variation that allowed players to carry and run with the ball to advance it toward the goal. The game played under the Football Association’s rules thus became known as association football.

Inevitably, the names would be shortened. Linguistically creative students at the University of Oxford in the 1880s distinguished between the sports of “rugger” (rugby football) and “assoccer” (association football). The latter term was further shortened to “soccer” (sometimes spelled “socker”), and the name quickly spread beyond the campus. However, “soccer” never became much more than a nickname in Great Britain. By the 20th century, rugby football was more commonly called rugby, while association football had earned the right to be known as just plain football.

Meanwhile, in the United States, a sport emerged in the late 19th century that borrowed elements of both rugby and association football. Before long, it had proved more popular than either of them. In full, it was known as gridiron football, but most people never bothered with the first word. As a result, American association-football players increasingly adopted soccer to refer to their sport. The United States Football Association, which had formed in the 1910s as the official organizing body of American soccer, changed its name to the United States Soccer Football Association in 1945, and it later dispensed with the “Football” altogether. No longer just a nickname, soccer had stuck.

Other countries where the word soccer is common include those that, like the United States, have competing forms of football. For instance, Canada has its own version of gridiron football; Ireland is home to Gaelic football; and Australia is mad about Australian rules football (which is derived from rugby). In places where football can be ambiguous, soccer is usefully precise.

• Thanks 1