Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

21 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

let's just say a "fanny pack" is out of the question.

I was here for over 18 months before I knew "Belvoir" was "Beaver"

I live a block from Belvoir Blvd ... and anybody calling it "Beaver Boulevard" would get the same reaction you got for "fanny pack"

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bovril said:

Stupid also considering soccer is a UK word originally and was regularly used up until about the 70s I think.

Agree with the 1st part but I never heard anyone call it soccer, not even in the 60s until I started reading and hearing about soccer in the USA with the likes of Bobby Moore playing in the North American Soccer League in the mid-70s

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Agree with the 1st part but I never heard anyone call it soccer, not even in the 60s until I started reading and hearing about soccer in the USA with the likes of Bobby Moore playing in the North American Soccer League in the mid-70s

I'm sure I've seen old Pathe films with many mentions of "soccer". 

Also when my Dad went to uni in the early 60s and said he played football he was asked "rugger or soccer?".

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Star Soccer

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm sure I've seen old Pathe films with many mentions of "soccer". 

Also when my Dad went to uni in the early 60s and said he played football he was asked "rugger or soccer?".

Fair point but I never heard anyone call it soccer in any conversations I had at school, college and work although we weren’t allowed to play football at my secondary school only Rugby, ironic really when it was like a prep school for Borstal and probably a breeding ground for the hooligans of the 70s :D

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Opened the thread expecting Danny Murphy to have slagged us off but instead opened an English lesson.

American English lessons.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Opened the thread expecting Danny Murphy to have slagged us off but instead opened an English lesson.

Murphy's not big on English lessons. Prefers maths. Like join up any 3 players and you have a triangle.

9 hours ago, bovril said:

I think the ize ending predates the ise, and is another example of Americans retaining aspects of English we have since changed. 

No. That's not true. Those words all originated from French words, which have 's's and not 'z's.

I think most of the words that are spelt differently in American English are down to one man who wanted to simplify the language and wrote the first American English dictionary. He even wanted to change 'women' to 'wimmin.'

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

No. That's not true. Those words all originated from French words, which have 's's and not 'z's.

I think most of the words that are spelt differently in American English are down to one man who wanted to simplify the language and wrote the first American English dictionary. He even wanted to change 'women' to 'wimmin.'

Ah ok, I am sure I'd read it somewhere. I was always under the impression that US English spelling had actually been standardized before British English, and that there were different acceptable spellings in the UK at the time (such as the ise / ize). 

"Wimmin" would be cool to be honest. 

32 minutes ago, bovril said:

Ah ok, I am sure I'd read it somewhere. I was always under the impression that US English spelling had actually been standardized before British English, and that there were different acceptable spellings in the UK at the time (such as the ise / ize). 

"Wimmin" would be cool to be honest. 

I likes wimmin. 

I dive in the pool and off I go.

Edited by foxinsocks