Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

11 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

2000 stories over Clappers,musc..singing..couldnt Really  give a damn..!!

You might if you had to endure this...

I'm actually embarrassed posting it. If we must have goal music, then why not something less tacky with identity and significance? 

26 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

That's fair and so are most of us. Good atmosphere enhances your match-day experience. I'm just talking what you'd associate with clubs and their stadiums / fans. 

I looked across to the Family Stand and saw a few lads just mindlessly whacking their clapper against their leg. I just don't get it.

Family Stand fair enough, but it's around the whole ground. Feels more Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway than it does football.

I just think grounds reflects the the range of society more as the game has become more inclusive and family friendly. 

I do think club need to become better at addressing the needs of different fan types. designated singing, standing areas, family areas etc.

Football has changed on and off the pitch along with society and will continue too change the more it's televised into people's homes the more homogenised and 'clean' it will become.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Line-X said:

You might if you had to endure this...

I'm actually embarrassed posting it. If we must have goal music, then why not something less tacky with identity and significance? 

Crap innit...

But I am not up to the line, what younger-fans like & want, Plus Player Input if any...

58 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

No, it has the absolute opposite effect most of the time. People take the end of the music as their cue to sit down and be quiet. It's effectively crowd control.

Organic goal celebrations, on the other hand, usually lead into spontaneous singing and so on.

I read that wrong the first time around and had visions of a bloke accompanying the goal celebrations on a Hammond Organ or a Wurlitzer. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Stadt said:

When was anything up for vote?

People vote with their feet football crowds and overall interest in the game have increased dramatically since this 'cleaning up' in spite of significant increase in the price of attending so they must feel they are doing something right.

Don't mistake my preferences I'd love to see a standing section. Sadly if football crowds behaved in the way the did when I first attended when there was a majority standing and plenty of singing rather than the violent scary experience it descended too where we  reached a nadir when not only individuals where subject to this but large groups of people ended up dying whilst attending a football match. Something clearly had to change.

• Like 2

Have to say it makes me laugh at baseball where you’ve got this kid friendly, laid back atmosphere; only for the players to walk up to the plate to the latest gangster rap of their choice. 

I for one would welcome music before set plays selected by the players. Imagine hearing Justin Bieber blaring out as James Maddison saunters over while we’re 1-0 down to take a corner that doesn’t beat the first man…

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

After seeing the events at England games in the summer, I'm surprised how many complain about the family feel at the King Power. Wouldn't you rather a guaranteed safe, pleasant day out (providing we win of course ;)) than potentially having it spoilt by loads of idiots acting like England fans in the summer? 

Why does it have to be one or the other instead of perhaps somewhere in between? 

After seeing the events at England games in the summer, I'm surprised how many complain about the family feel at the King Power. Wouldn't you rather a guaranteed safe, pleasant day out (providing we win of course ;)) than potentially having it spoilt by loads of idiots acting like England fans in the summer? 

Hats off to you, that's an excellent Straw Man you've built there.

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Because that's the overall way that football is going. I just think it's a weird angle to moan at the club, for supplying free clap banners and playing goal music. I can't believe how many are offended by it and don't understand that going to watch a Premier League game is the same as going to the theatre or cinema - it's inclusive entertainment for all. 

Shocking take

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

You're bang off the mark there. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Is it not part of their identity though? I mean, no other team has it, and if the bloke who does it weren't there for any reason, I'm pretty sure they'd replace the noise he makes (or like I say, other fans of Pompey have been known to take their own and join in). 

No, not at all. To reiterate, you referred to "bells at Pompey". It's one bloke and when he's gone, I very much doubt anyone will continue to do it anymore than people would suddenly don clown shoes and a battered stovepipe hat with a wig sewn into the lining. 

I don't know, I get the impression from your posts that you're much older than I am, and it's a case of "no I like my football the way it was, don't touch it!", which is fine and understandable, but I don't think that the club are gonna revert back to no clappers and no goal music any time soon, so why not just embrace it? It's certainly not as cringeworthy as you make out, just seems a bit of a pointless thing to have a go at the club about. 

Nothing to do with age or conservatism. I find the attempts to transform us into a "family club" rather forced and contrived though. I'd also add that it's far more cringeworthy than I "make out". We are fast becoming a laughing stock. Ill-judged, tacky and completely soulless music. Is it too much to ask for something with actual meaning or an identity? I don't particularly like Kasabian, but many visiting supporters rightly comment on how envious they are of 'Club Foot' as a pre-match rousing anthem synonymous with Leicester. 

It's unique because we've made it our own by sticking with it, whereas other clubs have only used them temporarily. If you had your eyes shut and heard the clap banners on tele, most would assume Leicester were playing at the KP. Just out of curiosity, why does the noise the clap banners make irritate you? 

lol Flogging a dead horse doesn't make you "unique" - it does make you look tragic though. If you had your eyes shut and you heard the noise the clap banners make, most would think, Christ, are their home fans really still having to resort to those shitty things that most clubs had the good sense to dispense with years before? 

Why does it irritate me? Because the actual sound of applause but that it substitutes for, sounds far better. Not to say that this has been eliminated from the ground, a good pass, or substitution is still applauded. Incidentally, it's by no means just me. 

They rival the vuvuzela as the medium of choice for someone employed to try and ruin the enjoyment of watching football. Actually, clappers are ten times times worse than vuvuzelas, which at least had some loose cultural connection at the largely forgettable SA World Cup in 2010. Cardboard clappers are a feeble attempt to manufacture atmosphere but instead sound like thirty odd thousand people clattering... well, cardboard. An increasingly cardboard atmosphere for an increasingly cardboard age. That reminds me, remember the cut outs in the crowd? 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

There's a perfect happy medium which has occasionally happened at LCFC, occasionally happens across the country and on the continent (Bundesliga in particular - no league has a higher female attendance yet there are areas of the ground which are purposely there for the boisterous section). 

• Like 2

Is it? Or is it a reality that you don't like? It's the way that football's going I'm afraid. We all love rowdy atmospheres but there's usually trouble that comes with it and clubs have to try their best to contain that. 

It's the way a portion of top flight football is going. I think it's a bit naive that football is going to completely sleepwalk into this overly sanitised experience. Some of the world's biggest clubs have militant, match going fanbases - see what Man United fans did in successfully getting a game called off. 

There's been a 'bite back' across the continent on the return of fans. For me personally a light at the end of the tunnel. The fact that UEFA are considering making pyrotechnics a non punishable offence suggests some suit has realised the boisterous part of it is very much part of the experience. 

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Oh yeah, agreed for sure. I think we aren't really far off the medium though. Just seems some like something to moan about for the sake of moaning. It's to be expected that with success and more exposure that the club kind of have to move that way though, that's why I just think it's a weird angle to go at from. 

I disagree that we aren't far from the medium. I simply don't see the same independence for fans in their support allowed at LCFC like I see at other clubs and/or Bundesliga clubs. In fact there's been a clamp down on it - denying a fan group the ability to hold a food bank for example. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1