Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

12 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Why?

Because the real fans were already in the ground. 

Few day trippers who ruined it for the real fans. Some on Wembley Way weren't even football fans. That wouldn't happen with Leicester... so that's why. 

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Oh yeah, agreed for sure. I think we aren't really far off the medium though. Just seems some like something to moan about for the sake of moaning. It's to be expected that with success and more exposure that the club kind of have to move that way though, that's why I just think it's a weird angle to go at from. 

I really don't think it is, atmosphere is a huge part of why we love football and why we actually spend our money going to games. For me these tacky things like clappers and goal music are completely unnecessary and are actually really sucking the soul out of the match day experience. I don't really care what fans of other clubs think of our atmosphere, but having a universal reputation for relying on bits of card and a loud speaker system for atmosphere can't make many fans proud. 

I'm not desperate for football support to "go back" to anything it was previously, I completely support a family friendly atmosphere but I definitely don't subscribe to the notion that family friendly can only be bringing in sh*t like this. You also get a safe and family friendly atmosphere at every other Premier League ground, yet we're the only ones brainlessly banging some card against our legs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Because the real fans were already in the ground. 

Few day trippers who ruined it for the real fans. Some on Wembley Way weren't even football fans. That wouldn't happen with Leicester... so that's why. 

Oh please - Community Shield anyone?

I've resisted wading in because I really do see both/all points of view on this. I need to defend @pmcla26 slightly because what he says has some truth - and I know people resent it being said and get cross about it, but every club has a problem demographic - please don't take this to mean I think any of you is a part of the problem, because I don't think that for a minute. The England match he cited just made that demographic glaringly obvious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Because that's the overall way that football is going. I just think it's a weird angle to moan at the club, for supplying free clap banners and playing goal music. I can't believe how many are offended by it and don't understand that going to watch a Premier League game is the same as going to the theatre or cinema - it's inclusive entertainment for all. 

This is the most interesting and defining point here - the people who are passionate about creating an atmosphere do not see supporting your club as anything like going to the cinema or inclusive entertainment for all!!

When we were awful in the not too distant past and the football was dire, and we weren't in the Premier League the die hards never thought I can't wait to be entertained by that dross this weekend.  You went because its in your blood, and its what you do, no matter how good we are.  Its why England take 40,000 to major tournaments with no chance of getting tickets.

Its also the exact reason why once we do go crap again and the likes of you have long left and found something more entertaining and inclusive, that the hard core will be left.  And its something the club would do well to remember.

Edited by TamworthFoxes
Bad spelling

I'm not bothered by the clappers either way. But the season we won the premier league proved we do not necessarily need them or goal music . We were without doubt the noisiest ground in England and it was commented on time and again by pundits and the media. The ground was literally rocking in some matches and As a lifetime supporter I had never witnessed anything like it , not even at the old Filbo in it's heyday.

Proof if any needed that artificial gimmicks and silly  booming Tannoy music noise  after a goal  scored is simply not necessary. It would be interesting to see what the difference would be if just for a couple of matches the cub dispensed with using them though. Is there any open dialogue with the cub to raise this kind of issue by the way?

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

After seeing the events at England games in the summer, I'm surprised how many complain about the family feel at the King Power. Wouldn't you rather a guaranteed safe, pleasant day out (providing we win of course ;)) than potentially having it spoilt by loads of idiots acting like England fans in the summer? 

Of course, that's a very misleading straw man argument there. 

A "pleasant day out" does not to some involve shite badly chosen tacky music the the continual slap of pieces of cardboard that have reduced our club to a vanilla support and a virtual laughing stock. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Straw man, call it what you want, I know what the point I was trying to make was - it was just that the club, amongst others in the Premier League, will ultimately look at scenes like the one I mentioned and think “how do we stop that from ever happening at our ground?” 

Absolutely, but the circumstances were actually unusual and a consequence of many failures on the day. It has absolutely nothing to do with instituting goal music and retaining clappers. 

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

But the club isn’t a laughing stock? 

Actually, it is fast becoming that and if another club attempted to do same as us in such an ill-conceived manner, as you well know, we'd remorselessly and relentlessly take the piss too.

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

What the people at the club have done is bring success on the field, and now they’re trying their best to make it as inclusive as possible for a new generation of fans who want to come and support the club. This is what happens when you reach wider audiences. 

They have, but cardboard clappers and a shit choice of piped music has nothing really to do with inclusivity which isn't manufactured or contrived. Actually, I's contend that although as you say, many use the clappers and sing the goal music, both are actually more divisive in opinions than they are unifying. 

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

This is what happens when you reach wider audiences. 

Crap soulless music and some pieces of cardboard that were considered passe half a decade ago? 

Sadly, you're probably right. 

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

End of the day mate, if you’re getting upset about clap banners and goal music after all the success we’ve had in recent times, you’re focusing on the wrong things about the football club in this moment in time. 

Disagree - and I'm not upset, more embarrassed at the tackiness and lack of identity. And why do assume that is my sole focus? I'm allowed to dislike it. We should put it to consultation instead of imposing it in such a contrived and clueless way. 

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

You’ll regret being pissed off about those things if this type of team isn’t the norm for the rest of your life and we revert to the LCFC we all grew up knowing. 

What an absurd thing to say. Why do you keep twisting the debate? One of the reasons I supported Leicester in the first place was because we were shit, but being the underdog which I liked to back, meant we were unfashionable with our own distinct following. Trust me, I'm very accustomed to old LCFC - if anything, it's the "wider audience" you refer to that the club are trying to attract that will desert the stands at the slightest drop off in our fortunes. 

I'm not really a fan of the goal music, I'd rather just hear the sheer joy of a goal celebration.

But I don't mind the clappers. They get everyone involved. There are loads of people who might not want to get involved with singing like old folks, shy kids or those who just despise the sound of their own voices. Clappers allow them to contribute towards the atmosphere and I don't mind it at all.

That being said, I do really love the singing too.

Some people will take the p!ss but I don't really give a damn what some jumped up Palace-supporting wannabe ultra thinks about us.

• Like 3

The Brighton forum comments about the "helicopter crash" are just mean, distasteful and disgusting.

I used to like the club before our away game this season (the away game changed it due to the crap referring; not the club's fault but then that's my emotional football fan head on).  

Now some of their fans have become another set of entitled and heartless idiots (yes, I know we've got our own). 

Yeah, they've really rewritten the chants songbook on last night's showing with their "Al - bion"  and the "ooooo , you're s**t ahhhhhhh" .   

Yes, Leicester may be a s***hole so don't bother coming back.

59 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I was only making an observation on the landscape of football as a whole. 

But is it? I think we all, both sides of the argument, get caught up on the conception that people attend football for the product. I think in reality we don’t. The TV is there for the product but even that’s partly reliant what it actually all looks/hears like not just on the pitch.

We get hooked to football because it’s not perfect (fans of differing clubs have different versions of perfect). We all get hooked because of the effect it all has on our senses. The colours, the noise and even the smell (not talking what comes out of some backwards). That’s as kids, not adults now. 

Where a lot of the arguments stem about clappers and goal music is that those things can be bettered or have been bettered. The key to unlocking a happy club is to get everyone in the ground feeding into those colours, those noises. To do that you need to acknowledge a broadchurch of differing opinions and a good number of LCFC fans feel like they are being ignored. In the process, the club are moving away from what is the hook of football. Not the product as per say. The pleasures all around it and how fans feed into that. Equally those that do get attracted by the ‘product’ will soon fcuk off at the nearest sight of a relegation battle or a return back to the second tier. 

When people asked me, mostly non Leicester fans, what was it like at the Cup Final? My answer was the noise. Football fans largely understood it 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Okay. My point was meant to be just let those things go, as it’s part and parcel of the club growing in stature and things changing in the world, and enjoy all the good stuff that LCFC brings. 

I do, but I's suggest that "a club growing in stature" and embracing change would surely not feel the need to retain carboard clappers for six years or pipe cheesy music over the tannoy if it wishes its support to be taken seriously. 

10 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I do, but I's suggest that "a club growing in stature" and embracing change would surely not feel the need to retain carboard clappers for six years or pipe cheesy music over the tannoy if it wishes its support to be taken seriously. 

Taken seriously by who?

• Like 4

I don't like the goal music or feel it should be necessary. When I started going to games, we didn't have it or need it and it was ridiculed as an Americanism when it came in along with the Foxy Ladies! But I accept it is part of most sports and most (all?) football teams these days and a lot of people like it so it isn't going away, so it's a case of learning to live with it... if its a big enough goal, I don't even hear it anyway. 

The clappers are something else. Frankly again, I don't use them and I don't care whether other people do or not, but WTF is the carbon footprint of them? We have been reviewing our pathway to get to getting carbon neutral at work today, and the COP26 is on at the moment with the whole world looking at cutting emissions - yet how many trees are cut down for 1 clapper... let alone 30,000 for 25 or so home games a year? It's no wonder we are towards the bottom of the list of environmentally friendly clubs. Please LCFC... just stop it now. And do you know what, people might find other things they can clap together to make noise! :appl:

• Like 1