Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

Trees for paper are grown for paper, so they probably absorb a lot of CO2. Do we know if a portion of the clacker is recycled paper or does it use Vegetable ink? Many maybe recycled when finished and some may be kept by fans? Do not see what the problem is as we do not know the facts

2 hours ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

I'm not bothered by the clappers either way. But the season we won the premier league proved we do not necessarily need them or goal music . We were without doubt the noisiest ground in England and it was commented on time and again by pundits and the media. The ground was literally rocking in some matches and As a lifetime supporter I had never witnessed anything like it , not even at the old Filbo in it's heyday.

Proof if any needed that artificial gimmicks and silly  booming Tannoy music noise  after a goal  scored is simply not necessary. It would be interesting to see what the difference would be if just for a couple of matches the cub dispensed with using them though. Is there any open dialogue with the cub to raise this kind of issue by the way?

I mean... technically we were much better WITH the clappers, first used again at the start of the great escape and carried on into the title win :ph34r:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3378939/Are-cardboard-clappers-secret-Leicester-s-success-Club-picked-1-35-points-game-introducing-them.html

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

No no this is good, let’s think up all the ridiculous things that come of the clappers and maybe the club will reconsider :ph34r:

Ever been whacked by one of them things by a mate/relative/other? Not pleasant imo. Dangerous.

2 hours ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

I'm not bothered by the clappers either way. But the season we won the premier league proved we do not necessarily need them or goal music . We were without doubt the noisiest ground in England and it was commented on time and again by pundits and the media. The ground was literally rocking in some matches and As a lifetime supporter I had never witnessed anything like it , not even at the old Filbo in it's heyday.

Proof if any needed that artificial gimmicks and silly  booming Tannoy music noise  after a goal  scored is simply not necessary. It would be interesting to see what the difference would be if just for a couple of matches the cub dispensed with using them though. Is there any open dialogue with the cub to raise this kind of issue by the way?

Dialogue with the club as a supporter is at an all time low currently in my experience.

• Like 1

Thst post the Leicester fan typed out on the Brightob forum needs copying and saving down to use when this dog shit gets spouted time and time again by other fans. A well worded explanation and to be fair the Brighton fans accepted it, not something we'd probably do if another fan explained something we were ignorant about!! 😂

12 minutes ago, dynamark said:

I dont think each clapper costs a tree probably all recyled look up casepak long established leicester business/Get real

12 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

Trees for paper are grown for paper, so they probably absorb a lot of CO2. Do we know if a portion of the clacker is recycled paper or does it use Vegetable ink? Many maybe recycled when finished and some may be kept by fans? Do not see what the problem is as we do not know the facts

I can't really see how you can use those arguments to defend it... 

Recycling takes a lot of energy and is never 100% efficient. It is still more damaging than either re-using or not using in the first place. And all the recycled materials (whatever they are) could be used for something else instead of these clappers which are single use or not used at all.

As plenty of others have said - just make them available at the gate and not match specific. It's a win/win/win for fans, the clubs bottom line and the environment - and would give a clear indication of actual desire for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

I do, but I's suggest that "a club growing in stature" and embracing change would surely not feel the need to retain carboard clappers for six years or pipe cheesy music over the tannoy if it wishes its support to be taken seriously. 

That's a really odd thing to say.

Taken seriously by who? 

• Like 1

Dear folks consumed with your own definitions of what makes proper (as opposed to “embarrassing”) fans,

Please start a “Shove That Clapper Up Your **** and SING” thread.  And move your obsessions there.

It’d be nifty if this thread could go back to being an enjoyable discussion of external views on the Club itself.

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

I can't really see how you can use those arguments to defend it... 

Recycling takes a lot of energy and is never 100% efficient. It is still more damaging than either re-using or not using in the first place. And all the recycled materials (whatever they are) could be used for something else instead of these clappers which are single use or not used at all.

As plenty of others have said - just make them available at the gate and not match specific. It's a win/win/win for fans, the clubs bottom line and the environment - and would give a clear indication of actual desire for them. 

Recycled paper uses 40% less energy that none recycled paper, so how do you work that one out?

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, davieG said:

Not really it's natural progression, other sports are changing as well as people become more aware of the dangers that have existed both on and off the pitch.

When you've watched the likes of Chelsea v Leeds kicking and trying to injure each other on the pitch and hordes of violent fans swarming through the streets threatening everyone in their wake where you were frightened to even go to games and would never risk taking your kids then I think many of the changes were not only needed but have made it considerably better. Society changes so does everything else associated.

A few clappers is much more preferable to coins, bottles and flares being thrown at you, where stewards are there to help you rather than looking to protect you from thugs.

So instead of being scared to take your kids to games you can now take them knowing they're safe and it's relatively cheap..

Maybe things have gone further than many would like but I know which I prefer.

And pies. I once goaded the Forest fans and they threw a hot pie at me that landed on the innocent lads behind. Had to give a police statement and everything. 

Nb: this was a Premier League fixture at Filbert Street which kinda reveals the age of the story. 

18 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I find a lot of the last few pages a bit baffling really.

Personally, I'm not a massive fan of goal music and I'm less of a fan of the clappers. I think they're horrifically wasteful (no matter what they're made of) and although they were once a real benefit, I think at this point any benefit to the atmosphere is minimal and I'm sure at times they may well curtail chants.

With that said, I'm so bored of reading posts with a holier than though attitude to fandom that often seem as bothered about the outward appearance of the club as it does about what the club is, and what it means to us. I appreciate that a lot of people put a lot of effort into trying to improve the atmosphere and I have no idea about how bad it supposedly is trying to deal with the club on fan engagement, but I can empathise with how it feels to put so much of yourself into something, only for people who don't appreciate your strength of feeling or your personal investment in it to poo poo it and ignore it.

I think it was @Line-X's suggestion that clappers could be handed out on the gates, and people could take them if they choose to. I can completely get behind that. What I think is important though really is simply acknowledging and accepting that not everyone has the same idea of what it means to be a fan. Far too often I feel like that is ignored in the dialogue. I think those arguing for a particular type of fandom do appreciate that, but it often doesn't come across that way.

Some people will probably always want clappers. They might not sing. That's their prerogative. This club belongs to all of us and we're all entitled to support it how we want to. And also, since when should any of us give a flying fvck about what other fanbases think? Seriously?

SPOT.ON!

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

We scored 2 more after this lol 

Was all he was good for by that stage of his career, completely finished, looked washed up for a while. I also heard he was swearing at the stadium staff after as well when leaving the KP. The blokes a ****. 

25 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Was all he was good for by that stage of his career, completely finished, looked washed up for a while. I also heard he was swearing at the stadium staff after as well when leaving the KP. The blokes a ****. 

Yeah he was washed up by the time he turned 27! never looked after himself… 

30 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Poor captaincy imo. It's not all about screaming and chest beating. TCUP wasn't it, that Clive Woodward taught the England rugby players. 

They were rattled at that stage and it needed a calm head to reassert their dominance on the game (til that point). Instead such emotional screaming led to their complete collapse. Hurrah!

• Like 2

On 28/10/2021 at 10:51, eblair said:

always liked brighton and still do; one of first games i remember is 2003 when we celebrated (maybe won promotion) against them

like this from one of them tbf:

"They’re certainly the closest thing to a real life Harchester United, aren’t they? Helicopter crashes, 5000/1 title wins, star striker signed from non-league, Wagatha Christie, youth team sex scandals, the list goes on.

An interesting coincidence given that Leicester were generally the team used to create the footage for Harchester’s games."

will certainly take being most exciting club to follow in world football (obviously excluding the helicopter crash)

Yes, I raised an eyebrow when I read that. We probably are Harchester really!

20 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I find a lot of the last few pages a bit baffling really.

Personally, I'm not a massive fan of goal music and I'm less of a fan of the clappers. I think they're horrifically wasteful (no matter what they're made of) and although they were once a real benefit, I think at this point any benefit to the atmosphere is minimal and I'm sure at times they may well curtail chants.

With that said, I'm so bored of reading posts with a holier than though attitude to fandom that often seem as bothered about the outward appearance of the club as it does about what the club is, and what it means to us. I appreciate that a lot of people put a lot of effort into trying to improve the atmosphere and I have no idea about how bad it supposedly is trying to deal with the club on fan engagement, but I can empathise with how it feels to put so much of yourself into something, only for people who don't appreciate your strength of feeling or your personal investment in it to poo poo it and ignore it.

I think it was @Line-X's suggestion that clappers could be handed out on the gates, and people could take them if they choose to. I can completely get behind that. What I think is important though really is simply acknowledging and accepting that not everyone has the same idea of what it means to be a fan. Far too often I feel like that is ignored in the dialogue. I think those arguing for a particular type of fandom do appreciate that, but it often doesn't come across that way.

Some people will probably always want clappers. They might not sing. That's their prerogative. This club belongs to all of us and we're all entitled to support it how we want to. And also, since when should any of us give a flying fvck about what other fanbases think? Seriously?

Perfectly articulated!!

ive found myself enjoying football much much more since I recognised that most of my football-related bad moods were more about what other fans/media would say/think about us rather than the actual football. For example when we lost to Spurs last season I caught myself thinking ‘god we’re gonna have such a bottler label now’, as if that affects my experience watching Leicester in any way!

I really would recommend people stay away from the weird football areas of Twitter, it’s full of people who’s existence seems to be dedicated to making people feel bad for following another football club to them. Strange behaviour but very easily avoidable.

Just now, nabb7 said:

Perfectly articulated!!

ive found myself enjoying football much much more since I recognised that most of my football-related bad moods were more about what other fans/media would say/think about us rather than the actual football. For example when we lost to Spurs last season I caught myself thinking ‘god we’re gonna have such a bottler label now’, as if that affects my experience watching Leicester in any way!

I really would recommend people stay away from the weird football areas of Twitter, it’s full of people who’s existence seems to be dedicated to making people feel bad for following another football club to them. Strange behaviour but very easily avoidable.

Yep. Would agree with deleting football Twitter and should you need a replacement, a lot of podcasts and YouTube videos tend to speak objectively and analyse the actual game.