Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
surrifox

Benkovic

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

When he’s fit, he’s a rolls Royce…. But you know he’s one turn away from 9 months out. 

Finger crossed that he manages to stay fit. 

As we've seen with Harvey Barnes. James Justin & Ricardo Pereira any player is just one turn away from injury. 

I believe Benkovic has got a bad rep.

• Like 4

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 hours ago, Aleksz said:

He was pretty decent today I thought. Looks like he’s beefed up a bit too. 

@Chocolate Teapot mentioned the other day that he’s supposedly doing well and is super fit. Think it showed today, onwards and upwards for him and we might just not need to go out and buy that extra CB for cover. 

Hes stronger i think and training a lot more regularly. There's talent there.

Fingers crossed he stays fit and we decide to take the risk of him being 4th choice. If he can truly feel part of the club here he's a superb character, the way he immersed himself at Celtic was impressive. He's also very good at attacking set pieces which none of our other CB's are.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

As we've seen with Harvey Barnes. James Justin & Ricardo Pereira any player is just one turn away from injury. 

Benkovic literally gets injured whenever he moves! Granted he’s not quite Kapustka level of injury! But it was good to see him complete 45 looking fit and pretty decent. I’d be disappointed if he doesn’t get a chance if he keeps himself fit! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Benkovic literally gets,  injured whenever he moves! Granted he’s not quite Kapustka level of injury! But it was good to see him complete 45 looking fit and pretty decent. I’d be disappointed if he doesn’t get a chance if he keeps himself fit! 

I  thought he looked very comfortable and defended well when called upon, big old unit as well, be great to have him available when we play Burnley  :-)

• Like 1

I guess between him and/or Amartey, we will have a respectable 4th choice CB that we hopefully won't need to call on in the league. 

Would have preferred stronger cover, but if we go to 4 at the back, we should be OK, especially if we don't have the budget for another. 

Thought both did OK today, but would like to see Benkovic couple more times in preseason as still an unknown 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Benkovic literally gets injured whenever he moves! Granted he’s not quite Kapustka level of injury! But it was good to see him complete 45 looking fit and pretty decent. I’d be disappointed if he doesn’t get a chance if he keeps himself fit! 

He played 27 games for Celtic before getting hurt.

Playing on plastic pitches did not help him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

I guess between him and/or Amartey, we will have a respectable 4th choice CB that we hopefully won't need to call on in the league. 

Would have preferred stronger cover, but if we go to 4 at the back, we should be OK, especially if we don't have the budget for another. 

Thought both did OK today, but would like to see Benkovic couple more times in preseason as still an unknown 

....looked mentally shot last time I saw him in our U23s!!!

Tried not to get too involved and seemed to want to be somewhere else. I wonder if he has had a good luck at himself and decided he had to do something about it.

When he came I put him ahead of Soyuncu, good on the ball and his recovery play especially when going to ground is top notch. I felt Soyuncu would struggle with his inclination to barge in from the back in order to win the ball. He (Soyuncu) has as good as eradicated this from his game and looks like the one defender who could take over from Evans. He needs to be the  steady influence in the backline as Fofana is very impulsive.

I hope Benkovic can turn his career round and he has exorcised his demons.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gurru991 said:

It’s not just a “bad rep” given he’s been injured about every season since he’s been here (including at Celtic).

Nonetheless, there are players who are constantly injured earlier in their careers but then after a few seasons they thereafter stay healthy (Fabregas and even Van Persie immediately come to mind), so let’s hope he’s one of those. Good luck to him (and us), he’s looked good yesterday.

• Like 1

Every time I've watched him play I've come away with thinking he's one of the most comfortable Cb's I've ever seen with the ball at his feet. His composure and how easy he makes things look is amazing admittedly I've only seen about 4 games but he looks brilliant, not to mention some of the goals he scored on loan.

I can't understand what's happening with him but its one of the biggest puzzles, the from the next van djik at Celtic to not being able to get a game at Cardif or OH Louven?

He isn't that injury prone.

He was in the squad for 17 of the last 21 games last season for his respective clubs.

He didn't get in at Cardiff because he signed late and then didn't do great in training. At Leuven it was likely the same story.

If he has been working his arse off all summer, got stronger, and impressed Rodgers in training, it is absolutely no different to Söyüncü in the summer of 2019. 

Some players don't like loans. This is a boy who as soon as he moved away from Croatia for the first time in his life was shipped off to Glasgow, then Bristol, Cardiff and Belgium - has he had chance to settle off the pitch, never mind on it?

It's up to Rodgers and team to see how he's looking. He could be a revelation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

Could this be our Nacho 2.0?

See if he survives our next three fixtures. He’d get game time if he stays fit. It would save Castange and Amartay from filling in as CB. And other clubs won’t take a chance on him unless he gets some minutes. His confidence can’t be great either.

Edited by Foxxed

Yes, he looked comfortable yesterday. Hopefully he'll get another run out and we can have a better look. Until then, my jury's out. The only times I've seen him play (and I didn't see any of his Celtic games) he's looked decent enough but you've got to ask what the heck's been going on with/for him. It makes me uncertain, that's for sure. I'd imagine his confidence has taken a bit of a hit so maybe a couple of games and getting involved in training will see him regain that.