Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
surrifox

Benkovic

Come on then Benko. You can be the warrior we need. Won’t be like for like but he will bring something different.

I remember SAF saying you can basically carry two players in a team at any one time. If that’s him and Perez the rest should have the quality to drag us through games until Fofana, Evans and JJ return.

Tbh having watched Benkovic, Nelson and Amartey over the three friendlies neither of them has let us down. It's not an ideal situation at all losing Fofana but I would rather play one of them than lose Ndidi's presence in the middle. However Rodgers will know much better than I.

As for their goal I thought the ref had stopped the match for Wes' injury and the rest of the players seemed to stop as well so I was surprised when the ball rolled into the net. A bit of poor refereeing if you ask me.

• Like 4

He's the only other ball-playing centre half we have uninjured. And our tactics seem to depend on ball playing centre halves.

I'd put him in the community shield and see how he fairs. Maybe Nelson can fill in but that's a bigger ask imo.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Looking forward to the Community Shield a bit more now. Like a lot here say, it's pretty pressure-free as it's technically a friendly, but will still be played as a de facto first match of the season at full pace.

That in mind, given it sounds like Benko might get the nod, it's now or never for him and I'm excited to see how he gets on. We like a comeback kid round these parts. Iheanacho, anyone?

Yep. Genuinely interested to see how he gets on if he plays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldbluefox said:

Tbh having watched Benkovic, Nelson and Amartey over the three friendlies neither of them has let us down. It's not an ideal situation at all losing Fofana but I would rather play one of them than lose Ndidi's presence in the middle. However Rodgers will know much better than I.

As for their goal I thought the ref had stopped the match for Wes' injury and the rest of the players seemed to stop as well so I was surprised when the ball rolled into the net. A bit of poor refereeing if you ask me.

Anartey was OK I'd say. Benko was good but out of position at times (I think with game time he'll be OK for us touch wood). Nelson shown touches of class and with his feet to ball but he made a few errors and was dispossessed by not knowing who was around him (work in progress though I hope).

Soyuncu and Benkovic was tipped to be the master plan for a time around now, hope Benkovic is picked is given a run of games and manages to show his early form that got him rave reviews at Celtic. Feel like this is now or never time for him, hope he manages to grasp the opportunity if it comes his way

• Like 4

9 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I hope everyone gets behind him if he does start, and doesn't get on his back if he makes a mistake or has a rocky moment or too. Come on Benko, you got this big man. 

... I  can't see our supporters booing or deriding any mistakes that he makes at the game!!!

So long as any criticism is kept solely on this forum then ok. 

I hope he can keep healthy for an extended period so as to save us having to bring in two defenders. He has a quality ball recovery game and a tendency to go to ground.

Let’s try to be patient with him. Man city are hardly the team to judge your centre halves against. 

if he can get through that game his confidence will be sky high and maybe he can give Bristol, Cardiff and leuven the Harry Kane and lingard feeling we had after underwhelming loans. 

There’s always been a talent in there but nobody has had the patience to get the best out of him. I just fear one mistake and his head will go 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Let’s try to be patient with him. Man city are hardly the team to judge your centre halves against. 

if he can get through that game his confidence will be sky high and maybe he can give Bristol, Cardiff and leuven the Harry Kane and lingard feeling we had after underwhelming loans. 

There’s always been a talent in there but nobody has had the patience to get the best out of him. I just fear one mistake and his head will go 

Agree with this - he's had a tough time since joining but we desperately need him right now, especially if we don't end up signing anyone. While they're very different players, I don't remember us being too optimistic when we started the season with Soyuncu after Maguire's departure... 

12 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I hope everyone gets behind him if he does start, and doesn't get on his back if he makes a mistake or has a rocky moment or too. Come on Benko, you got this big man. 

I'm sure I recall the fans really getting behind Cags when he first played. Hopefully everyone will do the same for him, especially being mindful of the position we're in now. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Absolutely. For more than one reason he's had a difficult ride since he's been with us. He's one of ours though and if his injuries have cleared up at last I sincerely hope he can take this opportunity but, as you say, we need to cut him a bit of slack and get behind him as he's not had much competitive football for a long time now.

• Sad 1

There is absolutely no chance Ndidi plays in a back 4.

Lets not forget when fully fit, he is a good player, who has played in the Champions League and been capped by Croatia.

If he has managed to get himself fit, no doubt he is  our next best defender.

The only question for me is around his fitness.

Am I the only one who thinks this Community Shield game is the perfect game to play him in? It's a half friendly-hlaf competitive fixture in a game where really he won't be asked to do much as he will be camped in his own box half the game. Do the basics well and he can look good and gain confidence for a competitive fixture.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Man city are hardly the team to judge your centre halves against. 

Fair point. I'd not considered it like that. I'd only considered it could be torrid for him. That said, Man City might be a little ragged themselves. From the sounds of it, they might be treating this as a preseason game.

Edited by drumbeat

11 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

Fair point. I'd not considered it like that. I'd only considered it could be torrid for him. That said, Man City might be a little ragged themselves. From the sounds of it, they might be treating this as a preseason game.

Well, it is. For both teams.

26 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Am I the only one who thinks this Community Shield game is the perfect game to play him in? It's a half friendly-hlaf competitive fixture in a game where really he won't be asked to do much as he will be camped in his own box half the game. Do the basics well and he can look good and gain confidence for a competitive fixture.

Agree, if not now then sell him