Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
surrifox

Benkovic

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Well, it is. For both teams.

Yes, I know, in reality, kinda anyway.... that it's been unofficially downgraded over the years by actuality is obvious... yet it remains 'silverware', and it is Wembley. As someone pointed out somewhere on here; it's a preseason if you lose, a trophy if you win. I'd love to know what managers think, how they treat it.   

Edited by drumbeat

He hasn’t played much, but has always looked pretty decent to me when he has (albeit usually against poor opposition)

Given the Brendan signed him, it’s always surprised me he hasn’t been given more of a chance. Presumably he isn’t convinced from how he looks in training? 

Soyuncu and Fofana both got their chance through transfer/injury to other players (in Fofana’s case, to Soyuncu himself)

2 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

He hasn’t played much, but has always looked pretty decent to me when he has (albeit usually against poor opposition)

Given the Brendan signed him, it’s always surprised me he hasn’t been given more of a chance. Presumably he isn’t convinced from how he looks in training? 

Soyuncu and Fofana both got their chance through transfer/injury to other players (in Fofana’s case, to Soyuncu himself)

His latest loan spell was at OH Leuven, where he didn't feature in a single game. Prior to that he was sent home early from a loan spell at Cardiff after featuring in only one game. It isn't just Rodgers who isn't convinced by him.

I have no idea what's happened to him. Maybe he's just not recovered his confidence since the injury he got at Celtic? Whatever, it looks like he'll get his chance to impress tomorrow. If he doesn't, we'll very likely be looking at getting two CBs in instead of just one.

2 hours ago, jmono84 said:

He’s been playing in the number 6 shirt so I’m sure he’s in BR’s plan but I’m sure he’s concerned about him playing week in week out due the little game time the past few years.

I can see heavy rotation between Benko and Amartey. I don’t mind either as squad players playing at CB.

DONT PLAY WILF CB!!!

I’d give them 45 mins each in the charity shield. We’ll need as much help as possible preparing those two. But I can still see Bren playing Ndidi at centre back. He’s got form doing so.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I’d give them 45 mins each in the charity shield. We’ll need as much help as possible preparing those two. But I can still see Bren playing Ndidi at centre back. He’s got form doing so.

Ndidi has played at CB but would rather play Benkovic at cb and keep wilf in his usual position tho. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HeskeyForever said:

Agree with this - he's had a tough time since joining but we desperately need him right now, especially if we don't end up signing anyone. While they're very different players, I don't remember us being too optimistic when we started the season with Soyuncu after Maguire's departure... 

I was… Just blind faith and optimism though, no expertise or inside knowledge involved lol

On 06/08/2021 at 10:47, ClaphamFox said:

His latest loan spell was at OH Leuven, where he didn't feature in a single game. Prior to that he was sent home early from a loan spell at Cardiff after featuring in only one game. It isn't just Rodgers who isn't convinced by him.

I have no idea what's happened to him. Maybe he's just not recovered his confidence since the injury he got at Celtic? Whatever, it looks like he'll get his chance to impress tomorrow. If he doesn't, we'll very likely be looking at getting two CBs in instead of just one.

Fair point about the loan spells at Leuven/Cardiff.

In any case, I can’t see the harm in giving him a go tomorrow, maybe even at the start of the season. 

If he’s a disaster we can always call back on Amartey, plus Evans will hopefully be back after the international break. 

I just feel like it would be a bit weird for us to move him on without him ever really getting a proper run in the team. 

We have an uncanny knack of being forced to play players out of adversity/injury, Thomas,Justin, Barnes, and to a lesser degree Fofana and Soyuncu all got accelerated starts….and pretty certain we all moaned at the time….sure Benkovic won’t be up to speed, but it’s possibly his time….

• Like 2

On 06/08/2021 at 10:47, ClaphamFox said:

I mean both Cardiff and OH Leuven mangers didn't want him so didn't play him. He did well for Bristol city when he played

1 minute ago, MGLCFC said:

Man City are unlikely to pose an aerial threat, therefore Benkovic might not be the right choice. However, I can see us playing 3 at the back

Betrand left side, Soyuncu centre, Amartey right side, with Thomas and Pereira as wing backs.

This is the usual default setting of Rodgers when we have injuries and up against a top side. 

Prefer us stick to 4 at the back and give Benkovic his big opportunity though. Sink or Swim 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

This is the usual default setting of Rodgers when we have injuries and up against a top side. 

Prefer us stick to 4 at the back and give Benkovic his big opportunity though. Sink or Swim 

My money is on swim

I think everyone is extremely keen for him to do well…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...