Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England's FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Euro Qualifiers.

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Pearson had us bottom of the league for 6 months and some people think he's god.

What league is that? The premier league he got us to after taking us there from from our lowest ever position? He still managed to finish 14th. As if you are trying to use that achievement to slander him with. Pathetic 

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Before he was appointed England's 2 best tournaments were 1 final and 1 semi. In the 2 tournaments he's been manager he's equalled that.

you are right, but the quality and depth need to be considered here… this is actually the best we have had in terms of technical skill, flair, pace and general intelligence. I’m not kidding these our world class players… like I said 3 starting 11’s from this group should make a World Cup QF. I have respect for southgate and believe he has done well to bring pride back for the shirt both with the fans and players… but seriously you don’t want to do a Belgium and end up with nothing. He isn’t managing an average team and overachieving, what happened in the past doesn’t matter you have to consider the talent at your disposal.

I don’t think I have seen southgate yet outwit a world class manager just out power with the players he has. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

22 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Anything less than another final at the World Cup we should look else where. 

That sentence strikes me as incredible, no disrespect meant. I don't think he'd outwit top managers too often either, but unless he goes semi final, final, final, he should be gone? You're a harsh critic.

I just don't see too many other options, especially English ones. Maybe these players would be more receptive to a foreign coach, it is 2021, but it's never gone well before.

Fair point made by many about substitutions in the last 5 minutes tonight and there's no point going over the Euro final mistakes again, but what's the alternative?

You made a very fair point earlier about his relationship with the players. That shouldn't keep him in the job, but it does seem to work for the group as a whole.

If you've watched teams like Romania (for example) look comfortably better on the ball than England teams of the not too distant past, tonight didn't seem so bad to me. England were the better team against decent opposition. The Southgate debate will go on until he finally goes, we'd all like a charismatic, tactically brilliant manager (one out of two would be enough for most of us) but they're few and far between.

Genuinely hadn't even realised we were playing again tonight. Think all my enthusiasm for international football has gone, especially with this charade of a world cup.

A country that gave brown envelopes to host it, with no fvcking league and won't even allow people to hold hands in public, should not be given the opportunity. 

6 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

That sentence strikes me as incredible, no disrespect meant. I don't think he'd outwit top managers too often either, but unless he goes semi final, final, final, he should be gone? You're a harsh critic.

I just don't see too many other options, especially English ones. Maybe these players would be more receptive to a foreign coach, it is 2021, but it's never gone well before.

Fair point made by many about substitutions in the last 5 minutes tonight and there's no point going over the Euro final mistakes again, but what's the alternative?

You made a very fair point earlier about his relationship with the players. That shouldn't keep him in the job, but it does seem to work for the group as a whole.

If you've watched teams like Romania (for example) look comfortably better on the ball than England teams of the not too distant past, tonight didn't seem so bad to me. England were the better team against decent opposition. The Southgate debate will go on until he finally goes, we'd all like a charismatic, tactically brilliant manager (one out of two would be enough for most of us) but they're few and far between.

Your second ;) sentence proves me right, I don’t actually believe in Southgate now, these players he has I could get them to at least a QF… fine he made a final which is why he is far better than me but has a fan I think there are far better around to bring this group of players to actual success 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

Belgium should have won something with the players they have had… martinez was an average PL manager and it still amazes me he got the Belgium job and remained in charge for so long. It is the players that have given them what is considered success but those players were actually capable of doing more. We don’t want the same with Southgate 

6 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Belgium should have won something with the players they have had… martinez was an average PL manager and it still amazes me he got the Belgium job and remained in charge for so long. It is the players that have given them what is considered success but those players were actually capable of doing more. We don’t want the same with Southgate 

So who would you appoint?

Being a club manager and international manager are completely different things.

Of course Southgate wouldn’t get a job any higher than a mid-table club, but everyone would take him as their international manager over say Fabio Cappelo.

For his many in-game flaws, Southgate’s ability to build a club atmosphere within the England set up is remarkable and the results by and large speak for themselves.

Some managers are better suited to international set-ups. Even the likes of flavour of the month Mancini’s club record is patchy at best. 

Southgate is a v good man manger, especially with that group (of whom a fair amount have been with him a long time)

BUT a he is tactically inept (especially under pressure during games).  I thought Steve Holland was brought in to solve that but either Southgate won’t listen to him when he needs to or he is also not as good as I thought. 

17 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

If England wants to win something then Southgate needs binning off. He got schooled by Mancini in the Euro's final. Luis Enrique at Spain would in all probability do the same. The difference is both managers have managed loads of league and Champions League games in European club football.

When you say schooled, Italy got a draw, they only won on pens. 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

When you say schooled, Italy got a draw, they only won on pens. 

Time to realise what Southgate is. A shithouse manager that has his little plan to go a goal up and sit on it. If his plan goes to shit, like it did against Italy, then he's flapping. No in game management skills at all because at the end of the day his only experience is relegating Middlesbrough. A good manager would have won that final. Southgate is Pulis in a waistcoat.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Time to realise what Southgate is. A shithouse manager that has his little plan to go a goal up and sit on it. If his plan goes to shit, like it did against Italy, then he's flapping. No in game management skills at all because at the end of the day his only experience is relegating Middlesbrough. A good manager would have won that final. Southgate is Pulis in a waistcoat.

He's our most successful manager since Alf Ramsey, he schooled Joachim Loew who has won World cups. 

A decent manager might do better but none have yet. 18 months ago all the experts on here were saying Chris Wilder should get the job, anyone think that now? 

Whoever gets the job, people on here will be calling for for his head the first time the opposition has a shot on goal.