Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

How would you improve football matches

I've been getting more and more bored watching teams put 11 men behind the ball and then when they win it back, the other team rush to put 11 men behind the ball. So I have an idea that I think could make games more exciting, I'm wondering if anyone else has had ideas that they'd like to see implemented?

For me my big change would be to have a new line drawn across the pitch 15 yards inside each half - this would become the new offside line. Meaning you can't be offside if you haven't passed this line. As well as this, I'd make it a rule that a team has to have at least 2 outfield players in the other teams half at all times. This would be reduce by 1 for each red card a team recieves in a game.

These two changes would make for much more interesting games I think, there would be a lot more potential for counter attacking and goal scoring chances. For me, football is all about entertainment and seeing teams try to score. A lot of the time, teams seem more concerned about not conceding rather than trying to score a goal. If you make the game more about scoring then teams won't be so worried about going a goal down.

Both the things i'd like to see are already in use in rugby. Microphones on referees and only the team captain is allowed to speak to the referee.

These changes would lead to a better understanding for the crowd as to whats going on on the pitch (and in the mind of the referee), and also will put an end to pressuring referees into making decisions by surrounding and hounding them

Edited by TiffToff88
  • Like 2

Teams should be allowed to put 10 men behind the ball all game if they want.

Why should a club go to Anfield or the Etihad, play open and attack but get hammered 5-0? Going for a draw is better for them.

There is no right or wrong way to play. Unless the league is a level playing field, but it's not. The blg clubs throw money around. I love it when Fulham or Burnley go to Anfield and win 1-0.

What annoys me are the sneaky little fouls to stop any form of counter attack. Man City do it constantly.

Something else that I hate is players just sitting down and everyone expecting the opposition to just kick the ball out of play. Get on with the game ffs.

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Why should a club go to Anfield or the Etihad, play open and attack but get hammered 5-0? Going for a draw is better for them.

There is no right or wrong way to play. Unless the league is a level playing field, but it's not. The blg clubs throw money around. I love it when Fulham or Burnley go to Anfield and win 1-0.

What annoys me are the sneaky little fouls to stop any form of counter attack. Man City do it constantly.

Something else that I hate is players just sitting down and everyone expecting the opposition to just kick the ball out of play. Get on with the game ffs.

Oh it's often overlooked how dirty Man City are.  

• Like 1

Considering the off side rule was introduced to stop goal hanging which seems to have been forgotten with the endless tweaks made to it I'd go further than the OP and have a line inline with the edge of the penalty area maybe even inside the area because you're hardly goal hanging if your clinging to the edge of the pitch. 

22 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

it still allows a team to play a back 8 if they really want to, it just opens up the opportunity of them actually getting out of their half and making a game of it.

No more watching Mourinho go 5 4 1 after taking a 1-0 lead. It'd be glorious.

If you enjoy boring football then that's fair, I love goals and attacking.

28 minutes ago, filbertway said:

it still allows a team to play a back 8 if they really want to, it just opens up the opportunity of them actually getting out of their half and making a game of it.

It's subjective though. I don't think our title-winning side were boring to watch and they were very organised and would get players behind the ball quickly. Especially in the latter stages of the season our attitude was very much 'what we have, we hold', hence the number of 1-0 wins. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I've been getting more and more bored watching teams put 11 men behind the ball and then when they win it back, the other team rush to put 11 men behind the ball. So I have an idea that I think could make games more exciting, I'm wondering if anyone else has had ideas that they'd like to see implemented?

For me my big change would be to have a new line drawn across the pitch 15 yards inside each half - this would become the new offside line. Meaning you can't be offside if you haven't passed this line. As well as this, I'd make it a rule that a team has to have at least 2 outfield players in the other teams half at all times. This would be reduce by 1 for each red card a team recieves in a game.

These two changes would make for much more interesting games I think, there would be a lot more potential for counter attacking and goal scoring chances. For me, football is all about entertainment and seeing teams try to score. A lot of the time, teams seem more concerned about not conceding rather than trying to score a goal. If you make the game more about scoring then teams won't be so worried about going a goal down.

Our rubbish officials can't even hack it under the current rules so they've got absolutely no chance if you make it even more complicated.

• Haha 1

Ban heading, remove offside rule. 

Game is immediately 10 times better.

If you want to go one further add that ice hockey plastic crap all round the pitch so the ball never goes out of play. Boring as shite seeing some muppet take 10 minutes throwing the ball back in, or some donkey sitting on the corner flag. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I don't love boring football, never said that, and I certainly hate it when we try and draw before trying to win. It's how Shakespeare ended up annoying me, he setup to not lose first.

My point is that you can't expect teams to go and try and attack other teams, especially the big clubs. If that was the case and every club attacked each other then we'd have Man City winning 5-0 every week.

30 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Our rubbish officials can't even hack it under the current rules so they've got absolutely no chance if you make it even more complicated.

I think the lino's actually are pretty good in the main, or used to be when they were allowed to flag for offside...

I'm sure the refs/blokes watching on screens would contrive the make it convoluted and hard to follow though haha

Agree with the calls on cynical fouls, a snide way of disrupting the game that is almost applauded. Should be an automatic yellow, no matter the time of the game or the position on the pitch. You know if there's an attempt to play the ball or just stop the opponent.

Get rid of VAR? Probably the same amount of controversial incidents but A) the flow of game would be improved and B) players can celebrate instantaneously when they score - as can fans when we are back in stadiums.

A shorter time per half but the clock stopping and starting every time it is out of play, or an injury. This would need to be displayed - would have the advantage of ending referee's decision of 'injury time' to be added.

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Get rid of the offside rule.  Pointless these days I think.

Agree with this or maybe just make offside count between the 18 yard box line and the goalie or something close enough to this

Also, instead of counting up to 90 they should count down with out of bounds, injuries and subs  stopping the clock . This way everyone can clearly see when it's stopped/started and ET is essentially fair. 

VAR needs to be dropped or changed in what it can be used for.   ie. not offsides.

Only allowing team captains to speak to  refs and they should be mic'd up. What others have said really lol

Never thought I would say this...Get Rid of VAR..Use only for goalline technology..!!   

Get the linesman more involved on descisions...

Any considered Real Bad Foul play, seen or Not seen by ref/linesman, let a Jury decide , After the games ,if further Action should be taken...

Including missed Angles by ref , on diving...Getting even  reds/Yellow after the game,will make some players & managers have 2nd thoughts...or not..!!

Get Rid of Stockley-park..Still Let the ref have Access to Pitch side monitor..but on his/linesman request  then their decision only...if they believe they missed

soomething...

For the rest, ffs leave the game be..!!