Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

33 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I buy a copy when I fly somewhere, so not often. It's great, and really funny, but it ultimately just depresses me

Aside from the funnies it's one of the few publications that still does proper detailed  investigative journalism. 

The expose they did of the Covid contracts for cronies (trying saying that after having a few drinks ) a couple of issues ago was superb 

Edited by Brizzle Fox
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

I think this is what most people who say 'Tories have been terrible but what's the alternative' actually mean.  They have no or very little intention of voting Labour regardless of who the leader is and are just right leaning in general.  The 'no alternative' is just an excuse for voting Tory again.  Really what they want is another right wing party to vote for.  Or at least they think they want that but if there was neither right wing party would get into power as often as Labour or a left leaning coalition would.

Most people that complain about the voting system in this country didn't even bother to vote in the AV referendum back in 2011 (whether they agree with AV or not) so I always take the moaning about it with a pinch of salt.

What exactly have they done that's so bad and what exactly should they have done differently?

I wouldn’t say I’m truly right wing though, more liberal if I’m honest. 

I don’t find either side perfectly fits my views, hence my suggestion as a viable 3rd option. 

I’ve always agreed more with the conservative approach, than the Labour one. 

Guest Kopfkino

Would like to know how many letters are sitting on Graham Brady’s desk.

Can’t believe it will be long before the men in suits turn up, they’d probably already have done so if it was a woman. It’s a shambles beyond a shambles.

It’d be an interesting leadership race too.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

UpTheLeagueFox is definitely going quiet with his poll posting recently for some reason. ;) It's looking like Labour outright majority territory now.

He's gone very quiet along with all the other "Boris is doing his best" "but Labour" types who don't discuss any policies or ideas are just happy to gloat they voted for the winning team.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He's gone very quiet along with all the other "Boris is doing his best" "but Labour" types who don't discuss any policies or ideas are just happy to gloat they voted for the winning team.

Would have loved MattP's take on all this. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

UpTheLeagueFox is definitely going quiet with his poll posting recently for some reason. ;)

Strange isn’t it, he was always so prompt to stick them up.

Maybe he missed your post so I’ll lob this here…

875EAC52-E276-4D6A-96E5-89E4387F569A.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm not in the least surprised at the current polling.  A combination of Boris, general sleaze and no end in sight on Covid / groundhog day on winter restrictions.

Someone said earlier we need a Blair to kick out those who have been running the country for the past 2 decades.  In my view Boris did that, he just replaced them with incompetent twats.

• Like 1

7 seats in by elections for local councils tonight

of the 3 declared, it’s been Tories losing seats. Now local elections are not huge numbers but that probably says more given some of that is core voters. So much for the last five days being a Westminster bubble story.

15 minutes ago, MrP said:

Was just browsing this morning and saw this so I'll reply lol

He just needs to go and go as soon as possible now - the last few months have been so shambolic it's gone long beyond any sort of joke, 2019 was still the easiest vote of my life given Corbyn and Brexit but he has long served his purpose now. There doesn't seem to be a single person now working inside the operation that has any competence at all and the attempted rigging of the Owen Patterson affair really should have been the end - one of the reasons Blair and Thatcher were so successful was that they had dissenting voices in cabinet/no 10 to speak up when they were doing something wrong - that's clearly not the case here.

I don't think they'll be far off having the number of letters and if they lose North Shropshire next week that's surely it.

Sunak and Truss to fight out the leadership - from the Tory members I know I think Sunak would have a leadership contest wrapped up providing he promised to be more fiscally Conservative on taxation and public spending, which is actually his natural political position despite the bizarre path taken since the pandemic started.

All the best and Merry Christmas to all, I'll try and reply if anyone has anything specific to ask but I'm a busy man now, marriage next year, beautiful daughter born five months ago and had a career change so now working in pastoral care (job I absolutely love as well which is something I've never had before) - the biggest piece of advice I'd give anybody now is to try and find work that you enjoy and involves improving the lives of others, even if it means a little less money - the rewards and feel good factor is quite incredible.

Good times and it's important to enjoy life while it's like this because it won't always be - although nothing can ever prepare you for the tiredness of having a baby.

(Although less said about the football and cricket the better)

All the best Matt, really glad you are doing well and enjoying life.

Edited by Strokes
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MrP said:

All the best and Merry Christmas to all, I'll try and reply if anyone has anything specific to ask but I'm a busy man now, marriage next year, beautiful daughter born five months ago and had a career change so now working in pastoral care (job I absolutely love as well which is something I've never had before) - the biggest piece of advice I'd give anybody now is to try and find work that you enjoy and involves improving the lives of others, even if it means a little less money - the rewards and feel good factor is quite incredible.

Congratulations Matt, glad to hear you are well.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm not in the least surprised at the current polling.  A combination of Boris, general sleaze and no end in sight on Covid / groundhog day on winter restrictions.

Someone said earlier we need a Blair to kick out those who have been running the country for the past 2 decades.  In my view Boris did that, he just replaced them with incompetent twats.

The government's response to the number of small boats crossing the Channel is also a very significant factor.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/20/migrant-crisis-puts-tories-peril/

21 minutes ago, Strokes said:

So polls aren’t annoying now then? Funny that.

Well two things, there were annoying when posted daily showing exactly the same as the previous day for no other reason than for Geoff to gloat his favourite party were in the lead. And since Labour closed the gap and took the lead, hardly a poll has been posted, probably waiting for our resident poll junky to pop up and post it, but he's suddenly very quiet, so someone was merely posting it to point out the irony.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Well two things, there were annoying when posted daily showing exactly the same as the previous day for no other reason than for Geoff to gloat his favourite party were in the lead. And since Labour closed the gap and took the lead, hardly a poll has been posted, probably waiting for our resident poll junky to pop up and post it, but he's suddenly very quiet, so someone was merely posting it to point out the irony.

Pointing out the irony and gloating ironic really lol

57 minutes ago, MrP said:

He just needs to go and go as soon as possible now - the last few months have been so shambolic it's gone long beyond any sort of joke, 2019 was still the easiest vote of my life given Corbyn and Brexit but he has long served his purpose now. There doesn't seem to be a single person now working inside the operation that has any competence at all and the attempted rigging of the Owen Patterson affair really should have been the end - one of the reasons Blair and Thatcher were so successful was that they had dissenting voices in cabinet/no 10 to speak up when they were doing something wrong - that's clearly not the case here.

I don't think they'll be far off having the number of letters and if they lose North Shropshire next week that's surely it.

Sunak and Truss to fight out the leadership - from the Tory members I know I think Sunak would have a leadership contest wrapped up providing he promised to be more fiscally Conservative on taxation and public spending, which is actually his natural political position despite the bizarre path taken since the pandemic started.

Good times and it's important to enjoy life while it's like this because it won't always be - although nothing can ever prepare you for the tiredness of having a baby.

Sounds like you've cracked this life thing, Matt.

Made up for you, mate. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrP said:

I know the lion’s share of folk (including myself) never saw eye to eye with your views but you always had a well-informed, well-written argument and came from a place of genuine belief which isn’t always the case on this thread. Obviously things got heated more than once but you were a net positive contributor to this thread and forum in general. 

Hope your Mrs and the baby are you doing well and have a great Christmas mate!

(and find a non-league team to follow mate, Leicester ain’t worth it this season lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1