Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Tory hold in Old Bexley and Sidcup, but with a 10% swing to Labour. Not really sure what you can say about that other than it's probably about what you'd have expected.

Think North Shropshire will be more interesting, especially given who the MP standing down is.

Saw that. On a very low turnout as well. Greens and LD lost deposit. Perhaps an interesting point is that Reform came third. 

1 minute ago, blabyboy said:

This one is more interesting, always had the south coast as fundamentally blue rinsers, so that swing might send a message to no.10.... or maybe not

Not sure you can read that much into it. I'm no expert on that area, but would there not be a reasonable overspill of Brighton hipster types in Worthing these days to account for a bit of a swing? Look forward to any Sussex posters correcting the record by telling me I'm talking bollocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blabyboy said:

Saw that. On a very low turnout as well. Greens and LD lost deposit. Perhaps an interesting point is that Reform came third. 

I live in Sidcup. The Lib Dems have hardly any support here to begin with, and barely bothered campaigning. Think the suggestion is they didn't campaign to not take votes away from Labour here, and instead they'll hope Labour reciprocate in North Shropshire given the Lib Dems have a big chance of toppling the Tories there.

The mood music from the campaigning here seemed to be that there was a lot of disaffection with the Tories, and Boris in particular amongst the diehard Conservative voters, but that the alternatives were no better. Whilst it is a safe Tory seat, there is probably an opportunity for Labour to make more inroads if they can get a coherent message over.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

The story about the government's lockdown party seems to be gaining traction finally. Another week, another scandal.

Smug-king Dowden was doing the rounds this morning piping up with the usual "we followed the rules" rhetoric. The party itself was a breach of the rules, therefore unless you can categorically state there was no party, he - along with the rest of them - are lying.

If there's one thing that I'd expect the public to get riled up about, it's this. Most of the population sacrificed time with friends and family over Christmas last year for the greater cause and the rules were largely adhered to stringently. Yet another instance of "do as I say, not as I do", and it's yet another disgrace... And it'll just be forgotten about with no accountability, just like the other hundreds of instances before it.

It just leaves me incredibly sad that too many people cannot, or will not see that we as a country deserve so much better than these fvcking cvnts. 

What do you think should happen?

10 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Well, at the very least an official inquiry.

And if they're found to have breached the rules, then they should be referred to the police. Especially given the day before someone had a smaller gathering at a private flat about a mile away and faced criminal charges. 

Either that or raze parliament to the fvcking ground, IDK. :dunno:

5 hours ago, ajthefox said:

What do YOU think should happen? 

Your response seems be supportive of the party. I could be wrong. 

Given that there has been no denial by any senior ministers suggests that it happened and they want no part of any fallout. 

It's not the only example of Gov hypocrisy. 

You couldn't make it up...

Middle-class drug users could lose UK passports under Boris Johnson’s plans

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/06/middle-class-drug-users-could-lose-uk-passports-under-boris-johnsons-plans

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle to call in police over 'deeply concerning' claims of drug abuse in the Houses of Parliament

https://news.sky.com/story/commons-speaker-sir-lindsay-hoyle-to-call-in-police-over-claims-of-drug-abuse-in-the-houses-of-parliament-12487771

Edited by Buce

27 minutes ago, Buce said:

You couldn't make it up...

Middle-class drug users could lose UK passports under Boris Johnson’s plans

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/06/middle-class-drug-users-could-lose-uk-passports-under-boris-johnsons-plans

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle to call in police over 'deeply concerning' claims of drug abuse in the Houses of Parliament

https://news.sky.com/story/commons-speaker-sir-lindsay-hoyle-to-call-in-police-over-claims-of-drug-abuse-in-the-houses-of-parliament-12487771

I maintain that the people that pass drug laws should regularly be tested for drug use. For the most part hypocrisy goes unchallenged at the top but this should be basic practice. 

• Like 2

On 03/12/2021 at 14:02, RoboFox said:

Well, at the very least an official inquiry.

And if they're found to have breached the rules, then they should be referred to the police. Especially given the day before someone had a smaller gathering at a private flat about a mile away and faced criminal charges. 

Either that or raze parliament to the fvcking ground, IDK. :dunno:

And the thing is, if an mp recieves a criminal conviction, they face expulsion from being a mp.

20 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

And the thing is, if an mp recieves a criminal conviction, they face expulsion from being a mp.

I think expulsion is only automatic if an MP is sentenced to at least 1 year (unlikely on this charge, I imagine).

Though they probably would face a recall petition, bringing a byelection if 10% of constituents sign the petition (highly likely).

Their party would almost certainly then deselect them as candidate for the byelection. 

I'm assuming that's the likely scenario for Claudia Webbe in Leicester East, if she loses her appeal against conviction for harassment.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

tHe PaRtY oF lAw AnD oRdEr 

"Law and order? No you misheard us, we're the party of lore and hors d'oeuvres.  Help yourself to the blinis while Boris regales us with his favourite Kipling verses."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It seems to be every week, or even every few days, now that there's embarrassment from the PM or those within Number 10.

If there was a poll tomorrow, wouldn't be surprised if there was a massive swing to other parties at the expense of the Cons.

Just now, Wymsey said:

It seems to be every week, or even every few days, now that there's embarrassment from the PM or those within Number 10.

If there was a poll tomorrow, wouldn't be surprised if there was a massive swing to other parties at the expense of the Cons.

Have you thought of standing as an independent candidate 'Wold? Remember Martin Bell and his one man crusade against sleaze?

• Haha 1