Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

You're missing the point - these are permanent changes in the law. Just because the police are short on numbers right now due to cuts and austerity in austerity in 2021, does not mean that will always be the case in 5, 10, 20 or 50 years time. Just because the police have other things on their plate in 2021 and won't bother with this does not mean that will be the case in 2031 - if, let's say, protests become a more regular occurrence due to a government abusing their powers.

Maybe you don't think Insulate Britain or their tactics are a worthwhile cause, fair enough - but for example, being in the vicinity of a place where people are likely to peaceful protest people linking arms against draconian government policy is just as much covered by this legislation as Insulate Britain blocking ambulances by gluing themselves to the road.

This is a massive, permanent extension of police powers, a massive, permanent extension of state powers, that opens the door for all manners of abuses and further feature creep and usage creep.

A good example is the police being given the power to search people's cars without a permit in the US during prohibition era in the 1930s, which spread to the rest of the western world due to fear of prohibition and importing etc. - still the only private property currently allowed to be searched without a permit in most western countries are motor vehicles. I hate to do the "friend of my 2rd cousin removed anecdote" but I know of a colleague of a friend who was a Muslim in London who earnt good money in Computer Networking, who allegedly said he used to get stopped and have his car searched by police several times a year just because he was a black muslim who drove a nice car and worse a nice suit, I very much doubt he is alone in this.

These laws stick around for long after we are gone and get used for all manner of things that we cannot predict they will be used for due to changes in technology and the like.

No, the point is that all this started because the police were trying to protect insulate Britain activists from being attacked by angry drivers on the m25 because that’s what they do, protect people. Let’s take away the police and what happens, demonstrators getting a kicking, that’s what happens. So, how do you stop that problem, we’re not going to insulate every home in the U.K. are we, reason being, half the homes in the U.K. are falling down and a bit of insulation ain’t going to make any difference and we’re not going knock the houses down and rebuild, although most of the houses round filbert street need blitzing. So, we’re left with one choice, get rid of insulate Britain for their own good. Ffs, the joint leader of insulate Britain can’t even insulate his own home! What would you say to someone like that, who is a full time electrician, how about ffs mate, go and do a few hours extra and get someone in to insulate your flat, for 200 quid.

17 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Now he just has to keep his nose infront for another 871 days

Thats a very good point. It’s time to prove why you’re a better leader whilst Boris is in the gutter, being a protest vote means naff all when the Tories inevitably bin Boris off and rebrand. 

1 minute ago, Górnik Leicester said:

Marcus Fysh MP is one who has been all over the media in regards to the so-called "vaccine passports", stating that "we are not a 'papers, please' society". Yet, he happily has voted for changes so that, in order for someone to vote, they'll need to be asked for "papers, please".

Never known such a hypocritical bunch.

Oh yeah, voters ID, forgot about that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It’s a good summary, and I agree completely with David Davis on this one.

I'm worried mostly about the bit that says you can get life imprisonment for helping someone get into the country. So if you see someone drowning in a dingy off the south coast, if you help drag them ashore to save their lives you can get life imprisonment?

So a taxi driver driving someone who has a visa to visit Ireland but not the UK from Dublin to Belfast can get life imprisonment?

And it's not mentioned there but I saw a lot of stuff in the Irish press recently about the UK following the US pre-entry clearance programme without consulting the Irish government, meaning we're essentially now creating a border on the island of Ireland by stealth by forcing non-Irish EU citizens who are legally allowed to work and live in Ireland having to always declare to go to Northern Ireland for a few hours? Surely anything like that has to be across the CTA as a whole else it's in violation of the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement if not legally in violation of it. 

Although it's pretty clear at this point the Tories only see Northern Ireland as a nuisance and don't care one jot about the island of Ireland.

Edited by Sampson

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I'm worried mostly about the bit that says you can get life imprisonment for helping someone get into the country. So if you see someone drowning in a dingy off the south coast, if you help drag them ashore to save their lives you can get life imprisonment?
So a taxi driver driving someone who has a visa to visit Ireland but not the UK from Dublin to Belfast can get life imprisonment?

The point around taking away the "for gain" part is just weird.  Are they aiming to scare off charities who are assisting asylum seekers or something?

20 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Boris catching himself before admitting he wasn't going to change 

I'm a traditional Tory voter but we desperately need a change of leadership now.

He's doing my head in. I'm bored of his guff and lies and trotting out the same shit again and again.

I got pelters for sticking up for Theresa May back in the day but fvck me she was better than Boris surely.

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm a traditional Tory voter but we desperately need a change of leadership now.

He's doing my head in. I'm bored of his guff and lies and trotting out the same shit again and again.

I got pelters for sticking up for Theresa May back in the day but fvck me she was better than Boris surely.

And I ask, kindly, when it was you fell in? Because millions of us knew the guy was a dangerous fraud many years ago. 

That whole party is just governed by rich con artists who don't give a crap about anything other than self gain. It saddens me that so many good people still auto vote for them. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

And I ask, kindly, when it was you fell in? Because millions of us knew the guy was a dangerous fraud many years ago. 

That whole party is just governed by rich con artists who don't give a crap about anything other than self gain. It saddens me that so many good people still auto vote for them. 

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "fell in"?

Personally, I was quite happy with Teressa May as PM. I know she was 'robotic' and lacked a bit of empathy but I thought she was fine. I was never a Boris fan boy and I voted remain at the referendum.

I was intrigued to see what he'd bring to the role as PM but nothing more than that really.

As a trainer of leadership skills in the corporate world, I've not been impressed with his leadership skills at all.

As for your second sentence, I don't 'auto vote' Tory but have predominantly done so over the years. Maybe next time I won't....

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

What strikes me is you come across as a very empathic person yourself. Only have to look at how you communicate with people on this forum, especially in the depression thread. And whilst I can understand people like some Tory policies, when it comes to their records on social care, welfare, diabled and vulnerable people, I don't understand how such a nice person aligns themselves with these people. You clearly care for your fellow man in a way the Tories don't.

Thanks (I think :unsure:)

Whenever I've done any on-line 'tests' on politics, I've always come out pretty central. The main reasons I've voted Tory in the past have mainly been based on personal financial reasons. As someone who's self employed, I've always thought I was better off under the conservatives.

I've also relied heavily on the NHS over the years and have always had a fantastic experience - even under a Tory government. My sense is that this has possibly been down more to luck and my post code though, and I've no doubt Labour would do a better job of funding it.

As I get older (and less selfish) I do think more about the wider community and the welfare state, but I've always seen voting as a very personal thing (i.e. putting me and my families finances first). This may not be the 'right' reason to vote but I suspect many, many people also vote this way if they're honest with themselves.

However, I've also thrived under Labour governments and I've always said on here that I'll always play the hand I'm dealt and not complain.

I'm very much about personal responsibility and helping others at a 'local' level instead of relying on big government. I wouldn't say I'm 'aligned' with the Tories and there's every chance I'll vote differently next time (especially if Boris is still leader)

P.S. I don't post much on this thread as I'm not as 'passionate' about politics as others on here. It always ends in tears and falling out with posters I like in my previous experience.