Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

18 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Remaining apolitical on a politics thread - whilst not advocating a return to the era of consensus politics or bipartisanism, our world is consumed by hatred, increasing division and polarisation. You could convincingly argue that this has in part been fuelled by tory policy - but that does not mean that all tories or even those slightly right of centre are intrinsically wicked. There has been and can be a meeting in the middle. During the mid-90s, the ideas of Anthony Giddens were enthusiastically championed by New Labour, seeing them as a way to escape the left-right battles that had destabilised the party and the political system. 

Theresa May was dealt an unplayable hand and the cards were stacked against her from the start. Many have testified and spoken at length about her regret and sadness over planned social reforms that never stood any chance of coming to fruition - the possibility of instituting constructive change from within. Although there are many, many policies that I was naturally opposed to, I did at least get a sense of integrity. I particularly respected her severing of the feeding chain and reining in of lobby journalism. 

I am not a Tory, I am not a Tory voter, but equally there have been times in which it  has been necessary to acknowledge I am not a labour voter either. I have however found virtue in both. 

Again, remaining apolitical, the dialectic is dead. In the post-truth era, our world is increasingly being torn asunder by populism and increasingly divisive beliefs. Precisely the mechanism behind the ascendancy of both Boris and Trump. 

You are rapidly becoming one of my favorite posters on here. I wish I could articulate things as well as you can.

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I apologise for picking you up on this Izzy - like Facecloth said, you come over as the soundest of the sound - but you did describe yourself as a 'Traditional Tory voter' - so I'd say that very much aligns you with them!

I appreciate your honesty for your voting choices, but I'd urge you to vote for the party that is best for most of us - and whoever that is, it isn't the horrible right wing nasty party currently in charge.

That's the thing though, if you vote Labour you tend to say I am a 'Labour' voter whereas if you vote conservative, to most, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are a 'Tory'.

To my mind this is the experience of the majority of people that voted conservative at the last election and it's also the reason that Tories everywhere ought to fear the next one.

IMHO the key to Labour winning the next election is convincing enough of the people in the middle that they are still voting 'conservative' even though they are casting their votes for Labour.

Edited by SexyGammonFox

47 minutes ago, SexyGammonFox said:

That's the thing though, if you vote Labour you tend to say I am a 'Labour' voter whereas if you vote conservative, to most, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are a 'Tory'.

To my mind this is the experience of the majority of people that voted conservative at the last election and it's also the reason that Tories everywhere ought to fear the next one.

IMHO the key to Labour winning the next election is convincing enough of the people in the middle that they are still voting 'conservative' even though they are casting their votes for Labour.

The problem with Labour is it sounds like hard work whereas Conservative sounds like your sitting a sunny garden glasshouse 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks (I think :unsure:)

Whenever I've done any on-line 'tests' on politics, I've always come out pretty central. The main reasons I've voted Tory in the past have mainly been based on personal financial reasons. As someone who's self employed, I've always thought I was better off under the conservatives.

I've also relied heavily on the NHS over the years and have always had a fantastic experience - even under a Tory government. My sense is that this has possibly been down more to luck and my post code though, and I've no doubt Labour would do a better job of funding it.

As I get older (and less selfish) I do think more about the wider community and the welfare state, but I've always seen voting as a very personal thing (i.e. putting me and my families finances first). This may not be the 'right' reason to vote but I suspect many, many people also vote this way if they're honest with themselves.

However, I've also thrived under Labour governments and I've always said on here that I'll always play the hand I'm dealt and not complain.

I'm very much about personal responsibility and helping others at a 'local' level instead of relying on big government. I wouldn't say I'm 'aligned' with the Tories and there's every chance I'll vote differently next time (especially if Boris is still leader)

P.S. I don't post much on this thread as I'm not as 'passionate' about politics as others on here. It always ends in tears and falling out with posters I like in my previous experience.

That is a fantastic post btw, ran out of rep points but sums up politics for me and also this thread. I find myself speaking with others on many threads and agreeing with them, then we end up arguing and falling out in the coronavirus and politics threads and I want to block them lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For a minute there, I thought there were revelations that Cressida Dick had been caught partying, a truly disconcerting concept.

Christ! Can you imagine getting cornered by her at some works do, while trying to enjoy your plastic cup of warm Blue Nun and cardboard plate of soggy broccoli quiche?

Death by tedium (never mind the incompetence)!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

For a minute there, I thought there were revelations that Cressida Dick had been caught partying, a truly disconcerting concept.

Christ! Can you imagine getting cornered by her at some works do, while trying to enjoy your plastic cup of warm Blue Nun and cardboard plate of soggy broccoli quiche?

Not a fan of a lady in uniform? 

33 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This stuff might be mildly assuming for some but ultimately it's utterly pointless. People know they're lying cheating cvnts but they don't care in big enough numbers.

The government has pulled off a masterstroke in diversion over the parties they held, everyone's already forgotten about it and are being shamed again into not seeing their family at Christmas. 

All whilst the Tories cruise to another election victory in a few years time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I doubt she'd know how to caress a dick 😂

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Not sure. Think the tide is slowly turning and both The Mirror and ITV have a few more bits up their sleeve. 

Heseltine, Howard, Major, Hague, even Thatcher (to a point) are the kind of conservatives the party and country deserve. This lot are absolutely awful grifters who have absolutely no respect for people and honour. 

It depends how many swing voters are convinced. Many voters will literally vote Tory whatever. I was speaking to someone about this yesterday and she said it was all awful and hypocritical etc. but then said she'd still *always* vote Tory "because Jeremy Corbyn".

Edited by danny.
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think the tide is very very slowly turning, another couple of years of Boris and plenty more will flock away from the Tories.

Tories dump Boris in a couple of years and win easily. Starmer inspires very few people as he is basically boring (which might be an asset against Boris) and inspires no one.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2021 at 17:50, Izzy said:

I'm a traditional Tory voter but we desperately need a change of leadership now.

He's doing my head in. I'm bored of his guff and lies and trotting out the same shit again and again.

I got pelters for sticking up for Theresa May back in the day but fvck me she was better than Boris surely.

I think May really would've been a stomachable Tory prime minister had she not had to contend with brexit, she was doomed from the start really. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2021 at 01:50, Izzy said:

I'm a traditional Tory voter but we desperately need a change of leadership now.

He's doing my head in. I'm bored of his guff and lies and trotting out the same shit again and again.

I got pelters for sticking up for Theresa May back in the day but fvck me she was better than Boris surely.

She was in the main yes.  Her downfall was failing to push through Brexit.  She hamstrung herself.