Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

17 hours ago, RobHawk said:

So you couldn't be friends with someone who had different religious beliefs to you then? 

I'm not talking your Islamist extremists but I'm an atheist and have friends who are Muslim, Christian, Hindu etc. 

It's the same in politics, I may stay clear of the extremists but I can still have plenty in common with people regardless of who the put a tick for in a box on polling day. 

The ability to not accept that people are different and think differently is a major reason that politics is in the bin these days in my opinion. Once upon a time, you could talk, debate and if needed agree to disagree and move on. 

I do have religious friends who are compassionate, caring and non- judgemental. Christians (as this is NI) who act in the vein of Jesus rather than Old Testament bigotry.

I easily accept that people think differently and am willing to chat and debate with them but if there are the stark differences I mentioned, why would I want to spend time with sexists, racists, homophones etc?

30 minutes ago, FoxyPV said:

I do have religious friends who are compassionate, caring and non- judgemental. Christians (as this is NI) who act in the vein of Jesus rather than Old Testament bigotry.

I easily accept that people think differently and am willing to chat and debate with them but if there are the stark differences I mentioned, why would I want to spend time with sexists, racists, homophones etc?

Yeah I can’t stand homophones.

I heard this bad homophonic joke the other day and it made my blood boil.

What does a sheep’s Valentine’s Day card say?

I love ewe.

Phonics have feelings too guys, not cool.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 28/12/2021 at 15:18, Strokes said:

Yeah I can’t stand homophones.

I heard this bad homophonic joke the other day and it made my blood boil.

What does a sheep’s Valentine’s Day card say?

I love ewe.

Phonics have feelings too guys, not cool.

Touché salesman

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/03/us-rightwing-dictatorship-2030-trump-canada

Can this be avoided? With all the gerrymandering, voter suppression, judiciary stacked with ruthless partisan hacks, heavily armed right wing militia, etc.

You'd like to think that this is nothing more than a fantasy worst-case scenario, but having seen the last few years we should take nothing for granted.

One thing I will say though is if such a dictatorship were to make the attempt I think there would be a serious challenge and civil conflict would last a long time.

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

It’s quite cute that people sign petitions in the belief that they ever change anything 😂

Exactly. It also makes me chuckle how people think if 100,000 sign the Parliament website ones it will get more than 2 minutes "debate" from an empty chamber.

9 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It’s quite cute that people sign petitions in the belief that they ever change anything 😂

Well you can sit on your hands and do nowt or stand up and be counted. The fact is if you do the latter your protest has been registered.

As per elections when you look at the turnouts it is generally that apathy wins the day.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Well you can sit on your hands and do nowt or stand up and be counted. The fact is if you do the latter your protest has been registered.

As per elections when you look at the turnouts it is generally that apathy wins the day.

Technically signing these petitions isn’t even standing up. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's easy to sign a petition and in this respect, they are a realistic form of self-expression for those who don't have the capacity to take further action. Seems like a petition could be a useful tool in creating discussion and general support during a sustained attempt to change things using democratic processes. 

In terms of direct action, most of the petitions we hear about in national news etc are usually quite vague or unrealistic. In that respect, they are definitely just a tool for making voices heard. 

I can imagine there has probably been some success on small specific issues, possibly where you're addressing things which feel more common sense and gather cross-party support when discussed in parliament. 

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

The Petition against Tony Bliar's knighthood is gaining pace daily. Have you signed it?

Expecting anything other than ridicule from this forum on this proposal is optimistic I would suggest  lol

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Expecting anything other than ridicule from this forum on this proposal is optimistic I would suggest  lol

I know right - as if any current Conservative voter would be so hypocritical as to cast aspersions on a peerage because of perceived dishonesty.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I know right - as if any current Conservative voter would be so hypocritical as to cast aspersions on a peerage because of perceived dishonesty.

Suppose we have guessed by now from looking at Liverpool football club that the colour of sanctimony is red. Right?  :D

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Suppose we have guessed by now from looking at Liverpool football club that the colour of sanctimony is red. Right?  :D

How is that sanctimonious? I'm saying the same standard should be applied consistently and if that's the case its very odd to be up in arms about Blair getting one. I don't care what he gets personally but it's not in anyway unusual.

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

How is that sanctimonious? I'm saying the same standard should be applied consistently and if that's the case its very odd to be up in arms about Blair getting one. I don't care what he gets personally but it's not in anyway unusual.

It’s standard for ex-PMs to get one and, Iraq aside, he was a very good PM - easily the best in my lifetime. I’m aware that ‘Iraq aside’ is a pretty massive caveat for many people, but I still think he was light years ahead of any PM or Labour leader since. Even now, he seems to be one of the very few public figures who speaks with intelligence and insight on the challenges the Labour Party faces - unfortunately few people listen to him because he’s so tainted by Iraq.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It’s standard for ex-PMs to get one and, Iraq aside, he was a very good PM - easily the best in my lifetime. I’m aware that ‘Iraq aside’ is a pretty massive caveat for many people, but I still think he was light years ahead of any PM or Labour leader since. Even now, he seems to be one of the very few public figures who speaks with intelligence and insight on the challenges the Labour Party faces - unfortunately few people listen to him because he’s so tainted by Iraq.

To mislead your own people into a war is whole different level to what has been seen since in my opinion, it celebrates something unique in tricking your own people into intentional risk of loss of life, it just blows my mind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

It’s standard for ex-PMs to get one

This seems to be regularly quoted but it's not true. Apart from Brown, Cameron, May there are others since WW2 - including Wilson who was PM for nearly 8 years- although he received a peerage.

Regarding Blair - Iraq a complete disaster costing too many lives and still has consequences today but he does deserve credit for Irish peace. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

This seems to be regularly quoted but it's not true. Apart from Brown, Cameron, May there are others since WW2 - including Wilson who was PM for nearly 8 years- although he received a peerage.

Regarding Blair - Iraq a complete disaster costing too many lives and still has consequences today but he does deserve credit for Irish peace. 

Exactly. They have all be honoured one way or another. I'm sure you'd rather Blair be a Sir than sitting in the house of Lords.

11 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I consider myself to be very left wing so perhaps don’t see eye to eye with Blair on everything, but without a doubt the Blair and Brown governments were among the best we’ve had post war, especially in terms of carrying the whole country with them in improving everyone’s lives, not just those of the super rich who the Tories cater for. I always preferred Brown though, he was more genuine I think and an extremely clever man. Compare these governments with the dross we’ve had before and since…though this current cesspit leave me nostalgic for May and Cameron lmao, never thought any govt could make me think that 😂

• Like 4