Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

I can understand that Iraq is going to be a black mark on the mans legacy forevermore (and it should be), but I also think that it's a fact that Blair was, rather easily, the best PM the UK has had domestically in terms of helping as many people as possible in the last fifty years. Probably since Attlee, come to think of it.

Sold out the real working class and destroyed the "Labour Party" for years to come... and a war criminal to boot  (it is absolutely a fact that they knew, but killed hundreds of thousands anyway, coz he and piss weak little johnny howard in Oz wanted to suck up to the dumbest president ever)... but thats just my opinion i guess

22 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Sold out the real working class and destroyed the "Labour Party" for years to come... and a war criminal to boot  (it is absolutely a fact that they knew, but killed hundreds of thousands anyway, coz he and piss weak little johnny howard in Oz wanted to suck up to the dumbest president ever)... but thats just my opinion i guess

If you frame it in those terms then he still did more than every other PM did since Attlee, it's just a really really low bar to clear.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If you frame it in those terms then he's still did more than every other PM did since Attlee, it's just a really really low bar to clear.

True... and Xi Jingping (if you leave aside the Uighurs and human rights abuses ) should be given a nobel prize and hailed as one of the all time humanists...for lifting tens of millions from poverty

Edit...sarcasm /s

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ealingfox said:

How is that sanctimonious? I'm saying the same standard should be applied consistently and if that's the case its very odd to be up in arms about Blair getting one. I don't care what he gets personally but it's not in anyway unusual.

It was the Iraq war. That was the sole point of horror, I understand he did much good and was a good PM however.

On being asked about support for TFL Johnson said:

"Never forget that it was left with a very considerable sum of money by the previous mayor who left the coffers full."

What actually happened is that he left 

it with a deficit of 1.5bn and a nominal debt of £9.1bn. He had increased it substantially after taking over from Livingstone.

Khan had operating deficit by 71% and increased cash reserves by 13% (pre pandemic).

THE BIGGER PICTURE

The Gov has supported private rail companies during covid 19. But it wont support TFL. This is because TFL has a labour mayor. Not the first time the Cons have withheld or threatend to withold funding based upon a Labour area or to gain support of their own MPs. 

Aka tax payers money for party political purposes.

Vote Con.

• Like 2

Thumb up if you think this is possible.... laugh if you think it's far fetched... My prediction of 2022 in terms of what's happens at number 10 is this. Boris will be forced out of his office by his own party in June and Priti Patel will be elected by her own party to become the new leader of conservative party and of course the new prime minster of United Kingdom. Think Boris days a PM are now counting down. Not sure if I'll be happy with Patel in charge... knowing how she's treated her colleague and staff but sadly it's been inevitable to happen she'd step in when Boris was to go.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Thumb up if you think this is possible.... laugh if you think it's far fetched... My prediction of 2022 in terms of what's happens at number 10 is this. Boris will be forced out of his office by his own party in June and Priti Patel will be elected by her own party to become the new leader of conservative party and of course the new prime minster of United Kingdom. Think Boris days a PM are now counting down. Not sure if I'll be happy with Patel in charge... knowing how she's treated her colleague and staff but sadly it's been inevitable to happen she'd step in when Boris was to go.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I think it's more than possible Bozo will get the push, but I can't see Patel being accepted by the membership.

Far too brown.

He didn’t want an answer, just rep. Not a cat in hells chance that PP becomes PM though 

56 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

The Tories seem to be aware of how sinister Patel is perceived to be by the public and there would literally be a revolt if she became PM. They’ll be looking at the current polls and desperate to avoid a GE. She’s one of the worst choices they could make. 

Sunak is far more likely IMO, with Javid as Chancellor and Gove just sort of lurking in the background like one of the shit ones in Take That. 

I do think there will be another scandal or two to come out soon, probably from Cummings. 

• Like 1

For leadership theres more to come with Liz Truss re taxpayers money spent at exclusive members club where it wasnt to do with Government business..... allegedly.

Watch this space. I dont think she is a runner.

Leftfield Tom Tugendhat.

Outsider - Theresa May. She still has support with MPs.

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

For anyone with eyes and ears that has to be understatement of the century.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, adam1 said:

For leadership theres more to come with Liz Truss re taxpayers money spent at exclusive members club where it wasnt to do with Government business..... allegedly.

Watch this space. I dont think she is a runner.

Leftfield Tom Tugendhat.

Outsider - Theresa May. She still has support with MPs.

I can't really stand her, but she was the best Tory PM I can remember, although that's like choosing your favourite disease. She never stood a chance with Brexit, the only person that could is someone like Boris/Trump who would just lie for years about everything until he finally gets removed.

5 minutes ago, danny. said:

I can't really stand her, but she was the best Tory PM I can remember, although that's like choosing your favourite disease. She never stood a chance with Brexit, the only person that could is someone like Boris/Trump who would just lie for years about everything until he finally gets removed.

But Brexit is still the issue. It isn't going to work - the Gov knows this, only the die hards (minority) within the party still want it.

For the party (note party not Gov - two dynamics to this) to survive and to have  hope in the next election they are going to need to have a climb down.

This gov cant back down - save of face. But the party knows it needs to. Thus a new leader and government with May coming in with her own cabinet would allow them to alter the course which would allow for alignment with the EEA (note that the Referendum was to leave the EU and did not question whether we should not be aligned with the EEA - two completely different things).

This approach has some danger from the far right taking votes (wanting a hard brexit). But that vote is often very very weak on election day. The damage will be minor compared to what the Lib Dems would do on the current course.

2 hours ago, danny. said:

Even though he gets remembered as dull and trying to keep afloat in all the in fighting, I always thought John Major was an intelligent and reasonable man, even if I didn't agree with everything he said. 

I can also understand why people like Major and David Davies are at an absolute despair with the current government and over the Brexit negotiations and things like the red meat populism of the Nationalties and Borders and Police and Crimes acts.

Someone like Ted Heath would be considered to the Left of Starner nowadays though (Heath famously hated neoliberalism and the direction Thatcher took the party and it was an open secret he wanted to favour things like gay rights, pro-Europeanism and pro-immigration but knew they wouldn't pass parliment), so the Conservative party has changed plenty over the years. I think many traditional Conservatives would despise the populism of Johnson and the Hard Right red meat of Patel.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Even though he gets remembered as dull and trying to keep afloat in all the in fighting, I always thought John Major was an intelligent and reasonable man…

I’d accept ‘decent’, he likes cricket after all, but dull? This man had the bails to tup Edwina Curry. That’s not dull - nauseous, stomach churning, or the stuff of nightmares, but never dull.

• Haha 1

Just now, Daggers said:

I’d accept ‘decent’, he likes cricket after all, but dull? This man had the bails to tup Edwina Curry. That’s not dull - nauseous, stomach churning, or the stuff of nightmares, but never dull.

I remember an old friend of mine saying that news of that affair restored his faith in the Conservative party. lol

Although I was never old enough to vote for or against him, my overriding memory of Major is that he was weak, a bit like a 90s Neville Chamberlain. I’ve never had much time for him myself. I prefer Brown and May as decent but ultimately short-lived leaders.

12 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Tbh my enduring memory of Ms Currie will be her calling out the far right moron Paul Joseph Watson on Twitter regarding use of strap-on implements.

I mean, bloody hell.

53 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I remember an old friend of mine saying that news of that affair restored his faith in the Conservative party. lol

Although I was never old enough to vote for or against him, my overriding memory of Major is that he was weak, a bit like a 90s Neville Chamberlain. I’ve never had much time for him myself. I prefer Brown and May as decent but ultimately short-lived leaders.

In seriousness, I’d stand by saying Major is a decent man, an honourable man, not something I’d ascribe to May based on her willingness to pop the party before absolutely everything else. Major would never have stood by and allowed the right wing of the party to wreak the havoc on the UK that it has got away with.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Tbh my enduring memory of Ms Currie will be her calling out the far right moron Paul Joseph Watson on Twitter regarding use of strap-on implements.

I mean, bloody hell.

I’d love that to be true. But it still wouldn’t come close to redeeming her in my eyes - the proto Priti that she was and remains.

"If you've broken the law and committed criminal damage you should be punished. If the jury is a barrier to ensuring they are punished then that needs to be addressed."

Tory MP for Ipswich Tom Hunt there, just threatening to overrule our age-old justice system in cases where the verdict displeases him and his party after the Colston statue case. Sound.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/tom-hunt-colston-four-jury-trials-comments-8603210

22 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

"If you've broken the law and committed criminal damage you should be punished. If the jury is a barrier to ensuring they are punished then that needs to be addressed."

Tory MP for Ipswich Tom Hunt there, just threatening to overrule our age-old justice system in cases where the verdict displeases him and his party after the Colston statue case. Sound.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/tom-hunt-colston-four-jury-trials-comments-8603210

Don't worry Priti P has probably got a bit of legislation up her sleeve to do away with juries altogether.... 

• Like 1