Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

What reasons other than finances do emigrants vote on? 

State of medical care given a likelyhood of moving back if health unfortunately turns poor.

Welfare of their own family still living in the UK and all the factors which impact them.

The freedom of movement plus import of items from the UK.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Fair play to you for emigrating, but you shouldn’t be voting unless your residing in this country.

Being able to vote and then not suffering the consequences of your vote, it’s not right.

I'm still allowed to vote given that I still have financial interests in the UK. The consequences of my vote are still mine to bear whether or not I actually reside in the UK. 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

State of medical care given a likelyhood of moving back if health unfortunately turns poor.

Welfare of their own family still living in the UK and all the factors which impact them.

The freedom of movement plus import of items from the UK.

The likelihood of a return is non existent, and certainly wouldn't be based on health care given that health care here is better. 

My children still in the UK are of voting age, so that's up to them.

I don't need to spend more than 6 months a year outside of Spain so freedom of movement isn't an issue, besides that ship has sailed for Brits, regardless of who wins the next GE.

Paying postage costs from the UK just means that people stuff from the EU, there isn't anything you need to import from the UK that you can't buy here. 

15 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

The likelihood of a return is non existent, and certainly wouldn't be based on health care given that health care here is better. 

I don't need to spend more than 6 months a year outside of Spain so freedom of movement isn't an issue, besides that ship has sailed for Brits, regardless of who wins the next GE.

Paying postage costs from the UK just means that people stuff from the EU, there isn't anything you need to import from the UK that you can't buy here. 

Out of interest do you have to pay for your health care in Spain?

2 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Generally on what you believe to be best for the country as a whole. For me, personal finances would be a factor, but certainly not the only one; sadly, I was cursed with something called 'empathy'. I'd have sympathy for people on the breadline for voting for their own financial gain over everything else, but for people who are reasonably well off, you'd like to hope that they'd consider what was best for the country as a whole. Would I see this Government in charge again if it meant I got a 10% payrise? Absolutely not.

There's a name for someone who will readily put morals and ethics aside in order to further their own wealth. It's Boris.

So you would vote to adversely affect your finances and therefore your family, in empathy with a country you no longer live in? There's a name for people like that, it would probably get me banned though 

11 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Out of interest do you have to pay for your health care in Spain?

Yes, until we're retirement age, and that's quite a long way off! After that it's paid for by the UK. It's more like being private in the UK though, and there's no waiting. 

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

You’ve applied your own personal circumstance to a question which collectively said migrants. Those answers you have may not be the same for everyone.  

For example some may want to be near family when their health is poor. Some may have grandchildren who are effected by say the education system or further education fees. 

Some migrants may run British registered based businesses which are partly reliant on importing. Plenty of stories in that nature over the last 18 months. 

If you said why would I vote for any reason other than finance, I’d get your point but I disagree, they are other factors why migrants/ex pats vote the way they do 

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes, until we're retirement age, and that's quite a long way off! After that it's paid for by the UK. It's more like being private in the UK though, and there's no waiting. 

And that’s a luxury that some may not be able to afford

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Tbf Debs if all you have left in the UK is fiscal interests and you don't care what happens to the people living here because you're never coming back, then why should you even have a vote?  There's lots of foreign business people with money in the UK but no voting rights and it sounds like you view yourself more in their company than the country's.

I asked the very same question in this thread not too long ago, because I was asking myself the same question. I think it was @Sampsonwho answered, although I may be wrong, but they pointed out that people who still have pensions, among other interests, should be allowed to retain their vote.

Fwiw I probably won't be using it, but I just asked the question why people wouldn't vote for the party they felt would best serve their own interests, in my situation. 

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You’ve applied your own personal circumstance to a question which collectively said migrants. Those answers you have may not be the same for everyone.  

For example some may want to be near family when their health is poor. Some may have grandchildren who are effected by say the education system or further education fees. 

Some migrants may run British registered based businesses which are partly reliant on importing. Plenty of stories in that nature over the last 18 months. 

If you said why would I vote for any reason other than finance, I’d get your point but I disagree, they are other factors why migrants/ex pats vote the way they do 

With respect, my initial post was regarding my personal circumstances, hence the responses. 

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

I asked the very same question in this thread not too long ago, because I was asking myself the same question. I think it was @Sampsonwho answered, although I may be wrong, but they pointed out that people who still have pensions, among other interests, should be allowed to retain their vote.

Fwiw I probably won't be using it, but I just asked the question why people wouldn't vote for the party they felt would best serve their own interests, in my situation. 

I think that voting for your interests is absolutely fine.

It's probably worth wondering if you'd feel better personally that family/friends were living in a better country over a preferable financial situation for yourself.

Your votes your own to do what you want with - if it was me, I probably wouldn't bother with the admin if I didn't reside in the UK.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Then I guess the answer comes down to how one defines their own interests and I personally tend to agree with the utilitarian view that one's vote should be about generating the most value for everyone affected by the policies of the winning government, even if that means personal loss. 

To a limit.  I obviously wouldn't expect people to vote themselves into destitution, at least I didn't expect that before the last  half decade of polling.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

And that’s a luxury that some may not be able to afford

I completely agree, and I feel for anyone who had plans to retire to Spain before pensionable age, and elsewhere in the EU, who may not now be able to. 

Just going back to Partygate. Do you think if a supermarket allowed a similar jolly for staff within their own grounds during lockdown it would have been tolerated as a working meeting. Their world would have come crashing down around their ears. You can imagine the condemnation from the government when the news broke. If the ministers currently defending Johnson can't see it or admit it they are not fit for office.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Fixed 👍

She really is a massive one.

Moving swiftly on, I thought this was a good article, largely because it reflects a lot of my own views and therefore must be correct, do you see?

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/01/12/boris-johnson-was-created-by-the-media-that-is-now-destroying-him/

Saves me typing them out.  Reminds me of the very awkward works Christmas do in 2019 when the Tories had just been voted in again and all my colleagues were telling me that Boris Johnson is going to be brilliant and he's going to do this and that and really put Britain on the map, and I was sat there wondering whether this was right and if all the stuff I'd read from his previous employers and those that knew him saying he was a thoroughly dishonest and unpleasant individual who was completely unfit for office was real or not.  Now I think, well of course the latter was, and the stuff that everyone else believed is just newspaper interpretations that are accepted without question.  How did we get to this miserable place?  He was running away from TV interviews to hide in fridges on screen, and still folk thought 'that's the guy for me?'

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

She really is a massive one.

Moving swiftly on, I thought this was a good article, largely because it reflects a lot of my own views and therefore must be correct, do you see?

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/01/12/boris-johnson-was-created-by-the-media-that-is-now-destroying-him/

Saves me typing them out.  Reminds me of the very awkward works Christmas do in 2019 when the Tories had just been voted in again and all my colleagues were telling me that Boris Johnson is going to be brilliant and he's going to do this and that and really put Britain on the map, and I was sat there wondering whether this was right and if all the stuff I'd read from his previous employers and those that knew him saying he was a thoroughly dishonest and unpleasant individual who was completely unfit for office was real or not.  Now I think, well of course the latter was, and the stuff that everyone else believed is just newspaper interpretations that are accepted without question.  How did we get to this miserable place?  He was running away from TV interviews to hide in fridges on screen, and still folk thought 'that's the guy for me?'

Bit like the world of celebrity we have. Too many think we want a character not another grey man or woman. Trouble is it's not I'm a celebrity or some game show.

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Bit like the world of celebrity we have. Too many think we want a character not another grey man or woman. Trouble is it's not I'm a celebrity or some game show.

Trouble is, and perhaps this is most depressing of all (Advanced sorry if so) is that if there wasn’t an audience, and a large one at that, it would not be sustainable.