Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I sacrificed my job (one on one social care for a young man with autism and a weakened immune system) in order to keep him locked down and his family and mine safe. Because it was a private arrangement I wasn't eligible for furlough. So until I could work again with him in October, I earned absolutely nothing for six months.

But I was happy to do it in order to keep him safe.

My mum missed out on 3 whole months of contact with her first grandchild (born at the very end of January 2020) because she wanted to keep everyone safe. Even when we could meet up outdoors she couldn't even hold her granddaughter. 

I didn't hug my own gran for 8 months. Because I needed to keep her safe.

On the day they were partying in May 2020 it was the funeral of a family friend. Her daughter has respiratory problems so couldn't go to her mum's funeral. They drove the hearse past her house and nobody was allowed to give her a hug. To keep her safe.

Did I break any rules? Probably. I'm sure everyone did in their own way, either in a tiny way or massive way.

But they weren't the ones setting the rules.

The people setting the rules showed nothing but contempt for their own rules, and in doing so have spat in the faces of the 150,000 dead, in the faces of their families who made sacrifices at funerals and deathbeds, in the faces of people who couldn't work and had absolutely no government help whatsoever, in the faces of people whose mental health suffered, and in the faces of people who couldn't even hug their newborn grandchild.

That's why people are disgusted with them. Everyone made sacrifices while they were having a piss up.

Well said. Those who make the rules have to live to the standard they set. How can you be a part of the legislature if you don't intend to obey the law?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Smudge said:

Well said. Those who make the rules have to live to the standard they set. How can you be a part of the legislature if you don't intend to obey the law?

I realise your question is rhetorical, but the answer is that if you've spent your collective life being told you're better, special and different, then you probably come to believe that things like morals and laws are political footballs you use to try and subjugate & control other people, but inconvenient irrelevances when those people try to apply them to you yourselves.

6 hours ago, Daggers said:

Yep, not really answered my question though. What precisely do you expect an opposition party to do?

You say they should do more - what? An opposition can only oppose the governing party or hold it to account through questioning or action in committees - both of which it does if you watch committees working.

So if they’ve “not done enough”, what is it you think they should be doing?

An opposition party, should hold the party in power accountable. 

They must have known about what was happening. 12 months down the line with all of this coming out now, people 

have sat on information. They should have been pushing on this sooner. 

The Labour Party has spent the last 2 years with in-fighting, they’re going to split their vote if Corbyn splits off and to form his own party, as he did have core support. What do labour actually stand for? At the moment, they’re increasing in popularity due to the shower that is Boris Johnson. 

10 minutes ago, Sly said:

They must have known about what was happening. 12 months down the line with all of this coming out now, people 

The Labour Party has spent the last 2 years with in-fighting, they’re going to split their vote if Corbyn splits off and to form his own party, as he did have core support. What do labour actually stand for? At the moment, they’re increasing in popularity due to the shower that is Boris Johnson. 

Don't shoot the messenger. Besides it is very difficult for an opposition during a pandemic. Have to support measures for public safety without being seen as just a negative force against the government . I agree that Labour is not cute enough with the infighting. Tories are often as split but more crafty.

23 minutes ago, Sly said:

How would they have known about it? If you're in opposition, Downing Street's the bit of Westminster you're least welcome in.

If you want to have a go at anyone for sitting on information, it's the Tories and civil servants *who were actually there* and are only releasing it now because they want Johnson gone.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sly said:

What do the Conservatives actually stand for?

If the Government people have broken the rules, they pay the fines.

Forget all this shit about not doing things retrospectively, if the rule makers aren't following their own rules then what is the point of them?

8 hours ago, Pliskin said:

those who work in senior public sector role’s such as a politician for example, must show exquisite behaviour.

Really? I dont need that from my leaders..Human beings remember. It's the saints that worry me... Saying that I'd like to see Boris and conservatives move on but I won't join  Boris bashing orgy. Xmas party is ill advised but to me its small chips so I'm indifferent.

15 minutes ago, Adrian said:

Really? I dont need that from my leaders..Human beings remember. It's the saints that worry me... Saying that I'd like to see Boris and conservatives move on but I won't join  Boris bashing orgy. Xmas party is ill advised but to me its small chips so I'm indifferent.

Johnson will survive if public continues to show apathy as you describe. This is why we get leaders with serious lack of morals.