Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

1. They do, in Parliament. If you aren’t aware of it then that is probably to do with the types of media you consume. 

2. It’s Labour’s fault because they must have known what was going on in Number 10 (where no Labour MP works) and had the evidence to support speaking out? Come on, be serious. That’s risible. 

Your last para veers off into fantasy so this is where I wish you a nice evening. 

I disagree.

The media knew about these parties. Therefore other people would have known. 

You don’t need to be there to know they were going on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sly said:

I disagree.

Sounds like you knew all about it, why didn't you tell anyone at the time?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The act of nature may not be under their control but their response to it and the callous disregard for the suffering that people have gone through during it all was entirely their fault.  It's also labour's fault because they should have been saying how naughty boris is more often or something idk

If I’m honest, I thought the initial response (first few weeks), we’re fairly reasonable. No one can deny it’s been a bit of a disaster since. 

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

Sounds like you knew all about it, why didn't you tell anyone at the time?

😂 

I didn’t get an invite to reject in the first instance. 

15 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The act of nature may not be under their control but their response to it and the callous disregard for the suffering that people have gone through during it all was entirely their fault.  It's also labour's fault because they should have been saying how naughty boris is more often or something idk

This is why I said there are large parts for which this government holds total responsibility, and as such, it is the government who must be held accountable. As much as I personally feel Boris is largely unfit to be PM, ditching him is dismissing the ringmaster whilst leaving the circus in town.

The government cannot be held accountable for a pandemic appearing on their watch (despite what some say) but they can and should be judged on how the they handled the pandemic, I also feel hyperbole and sanctimonious signalling is of little value, and only dilutes important points by turning the whole thing into a mud slinging contest, which whilst it provides a warm feeling for some, does nothing in reality.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I've often wondered how people jump from Labour to Tory or vice versa. Of course I realise this changes the government but what principles do people hold themselves. I do worry sometimes it's more of a popularity contest or just wanting a change for own sake. 

Think a lot of preference comes from familial association, at least initially, and then slower self determination guided by however you chose to consume issues for which you hold an interest. 

EDIT Although, I have realised I have gone off at a different tangent than your original question. lol So apologies for that!

Hard to disagree that politics is getting more and more like a never ending episode of Any-phone-vote-show,  though

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think a lot of preference comes from familial association, at least initially, and then slower self determination guided by however you chose to consume issues for which you hold an interest. 

Thank you for the response. I fear we do have personality or rather image coming into even greater play. Way back in 1960 people who heard the JFK debate with Nixon on the radio thought Nixon won. Those watching on TV said the younger more vibrant Kennedy the victor. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sly said:

I disagree.

The media are in competition with each other so I find it hard to believe they’ve collectively sat on this for several months.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Thank you for the response. I fear we do have personality or rather image coming into even greater play. Way back in 1960 people who heard the JFK debate with Nixon on the radio thought Nixon won. Those watching on TV said the younger more vibrant Kennedy the victor. 

It is an interesting dynamic, one wonders how long it will be before a political party (not entity, as I am sure that must already be the case) campaigns exclusively on social media

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

And then came endless restrictions based on 500k from Ferguson, a propaganda driven fear campaign, spying on walkers in the Peak District with drones, issuing fines to people for drinking coffee, an increase in mental health problems amongst the population and "next slide please", all while having it large with wine and cheese in his own back yard with a total disregard for the restrictions he imposed on others.  

And yet for some in this country, he is on the receiving end of some sort of vicious witch hunt.  Unbelievable.

The same idiots who thought Brexit was a good idea?..

The campaign for that was all based on lies and more lies!

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

I've often wondered how people jump from Labour to Tory or vice versa. Of course I realise this changes the government but what principles do people hold themselves. I do worry sometimes it's more of a popularity contest or just wanting a change for own sake. 

I will offer a factor by way of an explanation - make a name out of the following two words.

Murdoch, Rupert.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Sorry, nope. Not having this. It gives him too much of the benefit of the doubt and lets him off the hook for practically everything he got wrong. It's a pattern of behaviour replicated in the Western world that hasn't even begun to be addressed by the media. This isn't even about hindsight.

Does anyone remember about 10 years ago someone wrote to Leicester City Council to ask about their policy in case of a zombie attack? They wrote back saying they didn't have one, so people staged a zombie attack in the city centre. All a bit of fun of course, but it turned out some councils actually did have a policy just in case.

The point is, governments are supposed to be prepared for anything, and they mostly are. My dad used to be a mid-level manager for a major national UK infrastructure company. Ever since COVID started he's been telling me about the Risk Register he had to update every year - quite literally a list of risks to the business that would prevent it from being able to operate and would leave the public vulnerable without that infrastructure.

Trump blamed Obama for him not being prepared 3 years into his term but in reality, Obama and Biden had quite literally left behind a detailed playbook on how to respond to such an emergency - “Playbook for Early Response to High-Consequence Emerging Infectious Disease Threats and Biological Incidents.” They even prepared the Trump administration for it during the transition phase in 2016/17. But he ignored it, blamed everything on everyone else, and now 850,000 Americans are dead.

Blair brought in the Civil Contingencies Act in 2004. Obviously it was updated for every year, as there's one specifically for terror attacks:

Slide1.JPG

Here's the 'Other risks' chart:

Slide2.JPG

It's literally the first ****ing thing.

The reason Asian and Eastern countries did so much better is because they have experience with health emergencies, had policies in place and took it very, very seriously. 

But De Pfeffel sat on his arse. China went into lockdowns, then we had about a month of that couple on the cruise ship. Then Italy went into lockdown. 

"Oh I went to a hospital where they've got COVID patients and I shook everyone's hand etc".

He didn't take it seriously. He wasn't prepared. He partied the whole time. 

This isn't a go at you @Koke btw - just general frustration at this government.

The gaslighting has already started too - Rees-Mogg and other senior cvnts trying to excuse the parties and pay more attention to the positives of 'how well he handled the pandemic'.

150,000 people are ****ing dead.

Superb post! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Anyone seen this? 

Turns out it was an admin error but he's still highlighting the cost of applying to stay here after serving and how easy it is to get kicked out afterwards....

Some of this proves how some MPs are and can be very good. Tory Johnny Mercer and  Dan Jarvis (Labour) have been banging on about this for months and tabling amendments for the latest immigration bill. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, weller54 said:

The police knocked on the 10 Downing Street door to speak her..

But were told..

Carrie doesn't live here anymore.

I heard she hosted a Christmas party there full of mistletoe and wine, so they concluded she was a devil woman and threw her out - told her to go on an extended summer holiday..

They don't allow parties in Downing Street. It's strictly work events only. 

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Haha 1