Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

11 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I always feel when a prime minister steps down or forced there should automatically be a general election. Allow the public to choose who they want. Not the party.

I think if they are forced out or resign due to a scandal than, I agree. If it's ill health or personal choice then I'm not so bothered about an election. 

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Does anyone remember the fuss the Tories made in 2007 when Blair handed over to Brown without an election?

They're about to do that for the 3rd time in 5 years.

I think Tories would no know if there was a general election tomorrow they stand no chance. Especially if the choices where along the lines of Michael Gove, Jeremy hunt, priti Patel..  those type of names dont give you much hope.

I think should the process should be when the prime minister leaves office, the deputy PM takes over in temporary capacity. Three months after PM leaves office there will be an general election. Within the first two months each party must select candidate of who they want to run for the role of PM... which then come down to the public.

7 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I think should the process should be when the prime minister leaves office, the deputy PM takes over in temporary capacity. Three months after PM leaves office there will be an general election. Within the first two months each party must select candidate of who they want to run for the role of PM... which then come down to the public.

We don't have a system like America though, we don't vote directly for a PM like they do a president. Your suggestion seems to be that we wouldn't all vote on our seats again, just who the new pm might be, New tory, Starmer or Davey for example. The tories would just pick a new leader and we'd have normal general election.

As I said though, I'm not sure we need an election if the PM quits due to health or personal reasons or even dies, but I totally agree on having one if they are forced out due to a vote of no confidence or have to quit due to a scandal.

Edited by Facecloth

46 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think if they are forced out or resign due to a scandal than, I agree. If it's ill health or personal choice then I'm not so bothered about an election. 

But as it's the MPs themselves that ultimately have the power to force the PM out, if it followed that there would have to be a General Election, then some might be tempted to not oust the PM, ride it out and remain in power for longer, even with a dishonest PM leading the country.  The next general election is scheduled for 2024.  If the choice is between getting rid of the PM and risk losing power, or remaining in power but keeping the PM, I suspect we would be keeping Boris for a while.

It's better the way it is.  The MPs with a conscience are free to do the right thing.

1 minute ago, nnfox said:

But as it's the MPs themselves that ultimately have the power to force the PM out, if it followed that there would have to be a General Election, then some might be tempted to not oust the PM, ride it out and remain in power for longer, even with a dishonest PM leading the country.  The next general election is scheduled for 2024.  If the choice is between getting rid of the PM and risk losing power, or remaining in power but keeping the PM, I suspect we would be keeping Boris for a while.

It's better the way it is.  The MPs with a conscience are free to do the right thing.

That's a fair point. That would cover the vote of no confidence. I still think if they are forced to quit due to a scandal then we should have one. So for example if Boris quit because he lied to parliament rather than being forced out by a vote of no confidence that should trigger an election.

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

I always feel when a prime minister steps down or forced there should automatically be a general election. Allow the public to choose who they want. Not the party.

I understand what you mean. I suppose that as we are not taking about a president but rather a PM. Although the leader just the prime minister with other ministers in a cabinet. Different system. When you vote in election you are meant to be voting for candidate in your locale. Admit that often public vote for a PM. This is one of the reasons I would guard against personality politics in place of what the policies are.

3 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Is it just me that gets slightly uncomfortable about party defections with no need for a by-election? This Bury South guy has just crossed from Conservative to Labour, but that's now who the constituents voted for? They voted for a Conservative. No matter how grotesque this government is at the minute, Bury South should have the representation they voted for, and if the MP no longer wants to be part of that party it's entirely his choice, but the mandate given by the voters is no longer being followed and as such they should get a by-election to pick.

All well and good celebrating him going CON-LAB but if he went from CON-Britain First I doubt people would be quite so celebratory.

They voted for the name on the ballot paper. If they don’t like him defecting they can vote for a different person next time. It’s a Labour seat anyway and would’ve turned red again regardless. 

Imo, it makes Wakefield a man of honour, something woefully lacking in this government. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Is it just me that gets slightly uncomfortable about party defections with no need for a by-election? This Bury South guy has just crossed from Conservative to Labour, but that's now who the constituents voted for? They voted for a Conservative. No matter how grotesque this government is at the minute, Bury South should have the representation they voted for, and if the MP no longer wants to be part of that party it's entirely his choice, but the mandate given by the voters is no longer being followed and as such they should get a by-election to pick.

All well and good celebrating him going CON-LAB but if he went from CON-Britain First I doubt people would be quite so celebratory.

Alan B'stard did that didnt he 😳

Just now, Daggers said:

They voted for the name on the ballot paper. If they don’t like him defecting they can vote for a different person next time. It’s a Labour seat anyway and would’ve turned red again regardless. 

Imo, it makes Wakefield a man of honour, something woefully lacking in this government. 

Are you sure they voted for the name? Are you absolutely sure they didn't vote Conservative? The Conservative had nothing to do with it?

Surely it's not the point that "it'd have gone that way anyway." You can't just go "ah there we go it was going Red anyway no election needed." What a dangerous precedent to set for all manner of things in the future. May as well not run an election and go with the opinion polls in future. They tell us which way things are going. lol 

Anyway, it's not a hill I want to die on, just interested. But I think it's spectacularly naïve to think the voters voted for the name and not the party.

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Are you sure they voted for the name? Are you absolutely sure they didn't vote Conservative? The Conservative had nothing to do with it?

Surely it's not the point that "it'd have gone that way anyway." You can't just go "ah there we go it was going Red anyway no election needed." What a dangerous precedent to set for all manner of things in the future. May as well not run an election and go with the opinion polls in future. They tell us which way things are going. lol 

Anyway, it's not a hill I want to die on, just interested. But I think it's spectacularly naïve to think the voters voted for the name and not the party.

Churchill crossed the floor more than once

23 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Absolutely, said it many times during the Change UK nonsense - it should trigger one automatically. He might be planning to call one.

Edited by ealingfox

This is chaos! 

Ian Blackford - “This week should be “Operation Save Big Dog, when it’s been a Dogs Dinner”.

Someone needs to make a meme of Boris as a nodding dog during this. 

Boris ……. Enquiry blah blah blah blah blah 😂 

6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

"At least the Prime Minister's staff know how to pack a suitcase" lol 

he’d waited a few questions to get that in and it didn’t really fit where he stuck it …..shame as it was good 

I thought he missed a ‘knock out blow’ and given the back drop, he really should be putting the PM on the ropes onto the floor ….