Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

11 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Are you sure they voted for the name? Are you absolutely sure they didn't vote Conservative? The Conservative had nothing to do with it?

Surely it's not the point that "it'd have gone that way anyway." You can't just go "ah there we go it was going Red anyway no election needed." What a dangerous precedent to set for all manner of things in the future. May as well not run an election and go with the opinion polls in future. They tell us which way things are going. lol 

Anyway, it's not a hill I want to die on, just interested. But I think it's spectacularly naïve to think the voters voted for the name and not the party.

You could argue that the Conservatives could have selected their candidate better - perhaps opting for one which was willing to overlook their vast corruption and many indiscretions.

Ultimately, our voting system asks people to vote for the person that is put forward by their party. That people choose to vote along party lines, regardless of their how their stance on issues aligns with the party's (for example, Kate Hoey), is possibly a different issue.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

They voted for the name on the ballot paper. If they don’t like him defecting they can vote for a different person next time. It’s a Labour seat anyway and would’ve turned red again regardless. 

Imo, it makes Wakefield a man of honour, something woefully lacking in this government. 

I think I speak for almost everyone when I say that when I go to the polling station I am voting for which political party I want to be in government first, and the local MP that is representing me second. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Davis quotes an MP who called for Churchill to resign. Johnson says he has no idea of the quote Davis is talking about. Johnson wrote a biography on Churchill!

It was a quote addressed to Neville Chamberlin, not Churchill.

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

You'd have thought Johnson would have come across Chamberlin in his research though?

Of course.

I posted merely in the interests of accuracy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

And Amery himself was quoting Cromwell. 

Give it a few years and someone will "quote Davis" to chuck it at someone else no doubt.

For what it's worth, the quote in it's entirety could rightly apply to Messrs Johnson, Gove, Mogg and co' collectively:

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place,

which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.

Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.

Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?

Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.

I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.

Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!"

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

He's a gonner. Davis still holds a good amount of influence with backbenchers.  I'll be surprised if the announcement of the 54 letters, no confidence is not announced by this evening. 

Then again, it is Boris and this ****er always seems to survive. 

11 minutes ago, Buce said:

It was a quote addressed to Neville Chamberlin, not Churchill.

My mistake. It would have been at the time of Churchill though, that was my point. He should have known of it.