Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

4 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

You mean the like the UK are doing with so called unskilled workers from the EU since Brexit.  

Quite probably.

The question of unskilled is also a toughie. What the UK needs IMO is to be less reliant on foreign 'unskilled' labour. Parts of our economy has become far too reliant on lower costs of living abroad meaning people will come and do the jobs we won't.

42 minutes ago, kenny said:

Quite probably.

The question of unskilled is also a toughie. What the UK needs IMO is to be less reliant on foreign 'unskilled' labour. Parts of our economy has become far too reliant on lower costs of living abroad meaning people will come and do the jobs we won't.

Even that depends on how important you view the economic question and even if you do talk solely about economic ideas rather than cultural and moral freedoms - then why do you consider first and foremost it to be about the "British" economy, rather than the Great British (island) economy or the English economy or the East Midlands economy or British Isles economy or Western economy or European economy or the Afro-Eurasian economy or ultimately the World economy is a pertinent question as well.

A large part of the long-term European project has always been about multi-culturalism and European integration for people to look past these outdated ideas of the Nation State as a single tribal group of people who should only think about their own interests as a single tribe. People talk about the Eurozone economy nowadays, I've even heard people talking about the All Ireland economy in recent years despite having 2 different currencies (probably even more so in the future now we've bizarrely chosen to stick a big trade barrier inside our own country).

The EU has unquestionably raised the quality of lives of far more people within it than it hasn't, not just the Eastern European countries after the fall of the Communist block, but also western countries like Spain and Portugal following the end of the Franco and Salazar dictatorships and Ireland following the EU allowing it to reach other markets and become less economically ringfenced by and dependent on the UK. 

I suppose it depends on whether you think the UK, France, Germany, Benelux and the Nordics (Ireland probably belong here now although only over the past 15-20 years and largely because of the EU, as it's only about 30 years ago Ireland was always seen as a poor, rural, old fashioned Catholic country compared to the rest of the Europe and not a richer, better educated and more progressive version of the UK as it is today) as the wealthy countries of Western Europe offering opportunities to many poor Eastern Europeans with a much lower quality of life is something which has moral value regardless of any other economic arguments for and against.

Even Farage himself said, he and UKIP were never pro-leave before the 2004 entry of most of the Eastern European countries. I still get the feeling a lot of Brexiteers would have been happy to stay if it was a rich boys club only consisting of the rich Western and Northern European countries.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do remember a sea change in culture and opinion post-2004 and don't think that can be underestimated. 

I was growing up in Lincolnshire and the done thing when you hit kind of 16-17 was you took a job in a farm for the summer or weekends. Almost overnight it stopped and Romanian, Polish and Hungarian groups moved over. Farmers bought up or rented terraced houses, slung 5-6 blokes in them and used them as cheap labour, paid in cash and the money sent back home.

I think the biggest issue was just the speed of change. Within a year you had this entire new culture coming in and the government/ borders just weren't prepared. It created a massive, massive resentment and people genuinely did feel like their towns were being "taken over". 

Cut to 2016 and you've got towns like Boston voting 75% Leave. To my knowledge, the national press and journalists never really explored the issues or considered just the impact of two very different cultures coming into contact, with little integration. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bovril said:

I don't this is a common opinion amongst Brexiters at all. They wanted a quick, hard Brexit and anybody who said this would be bad for the UK was essentially called a traitor and some were sent death threats. 

I think on both sides there are sensible people who genuinely saw good in one way or the other. There were of course idiots who though Brexit meant something else or anyone who was against remain had to be a particular type of person. 

The type of person I mentioned first (who I think are the majority) is who I was referring to.

2 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

How f**ked up is this?  The Education Secretary denying the funding for a school if the MP didn't vote to deprive school kids of their only decent meal.

The same Gavin Williamson sacked (for the first time) for leaking national secrets to further his own agenda whilst Defence Secretary (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48126974). 

Happy days when cabinet members were dismissed for being useless rather than today where they're retained for being loyal lapdog irrespective of ineptitude. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No 10 staff have swipe card data logged in probe of ‘partygate’

Security logs crucial to future of key staff as Sue Gray also ‘has details of new social event’

Rumours have also been circulating in government in recent days that Gray may have details of yet another gathering in Downing Street, possibly in the PM’s flat and involving close friends of his wife, that has not yet come to light.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/22/partygate-inquiry-given-access-to-log-of-staff-movements-in-and-out-of-building

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

No 10 staff have swipe card data logged in probe of ‘partygate’

Security logs crucial to future of key staff as Sue Gray also ‘has details of new social event’

Rumours have also been circulating in government in recent days that Gray may have details of yet another gathering in Downing Street, possibly in the PM’s flat and involving close friends of his wife, that has not yet come to light.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/22/partygate-inquiry-given-access-to-log-of-staff-movements-in-and-out-of-building

Gold digger Carrie??.. surely not 😂..

She must be desperate, imagine having the fat slime ball fathering your children...yuk 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Ok - the 19th June 2020 was the day we went from level 4 to level 3

now everyone knows that there were 4 asterisks at the foot of the list of changes which were referenced at the foot of appendix C3.12 

this said that it was now allowed for 30 people to attend a birthday party at no 11 downing st 

Hence nothing to see here for ms gray 

36 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It'll continue and then everyone will forget. 

I think the Tories thought this when the first breach of rules by them was leaked. The fact the leaks keep coming means it remains in the public eye/ear and continues to beat them in to the ground.