Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

57 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Intrigued by the met investigation 

I wonder if the met have been asked to look at this to avoid the gray report being labelled as a whitewash

surely that report can’t be published if there is an ongoing criminal investigation ongoing ??  Unless the report has found nowt ….

If the report hadn't found anything they wouldn't have passed it on to the met who wouldn't be finally starting a criminal investigation having decided there wasn't enough evidence (without looking for any) and sat on their hands while our deputy pm went on TV to tell us they don't typically look at crime committed in the past.  Unfortunately for them it looks like Gray's team have uncovered some evidence requiring at least some action on their part.  Apparently the notion that the report can't be released while police investigate has not come from Scotland Yard, just more hopeful delay tactics.

Edited by Carl the Llama

3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

If the report hadn't found anything they wouldn't have passed it on to the met who wouldn't be finally starting a criminal investigation having decided there wasn't enough evidence (without looking for any) and sat on their hands while our deputy pm went on TV to tell us they don't typically look at crime committed in the past.  Unfortunately for them it looks like Gray's team have uncovered some evidence requiring at least some action on their part.  Apparently the notion that the report can't be released while police investigate has not come from Scotland Yard, just more hopeful delay tactics.

the met said they wouldn’t open any investigation until gray had finished her report.  If gray’s report is as meh as many expect then it could be judged to be of no value whatsoever and dismissed by most as a govt led enquiry …..asking the met to back it up would give it more gravitas and maybe boris hopes will allow him to move on.  All supposition and guesswork at this point of course ….

48 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

the met said they wouldn’t open any investigation until gray had finished her report.  If gray’s report is as meh as many expect then it could be judged to be of no value whatsoever and dismissed by most as a govt led enquiry …..asking the met to back it up would give it more gravitas and maybe boris hopes will allow him to move on.  All supposition and guesswork at this point of course ….

And what would they have been waiting for in the weeks following when the scandal broke before any inquiry had started?  If the report revealed nothing why would they start investigating?   I'm sure they'll find a way to make sure Johnson faces as few consequences as possible but it's clear somebody's going to take some hits here.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Absolutely was the right thing to do not voting Conservative at the last election simply because the guy is a fraud.  The electoral system needs radical change.  By all means vote for the local guy but this should not guarantee Boris or similar walking into the top job.  The country should be allowed to choose the leader not a load of Tory members.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 3

Apparently Rishi wasn't invited to Johnson's birthday bash and only found out about it when he walked in on the gathering on his way to a cabinet meeting.  Tories have awful luck with trying to work and accidentally attending parties.

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

So why should we be concerned by the danger? Obviously a lot different if you're 70 and massively overweight, vs 25 years old and healthy.

This has just done a massive U turn now, even all those who were lockdown advocates and 'more restrictions needed' have started to change their opinions.

Lets just get back to reality.

I await your reply about global warming and the reality being even worse than COVID Leicsmac :D:innocent:

... because those people were wrong to be unconcerned given the sheer amount of damage this virus has caused, in terms of lives and disruption. Don't follow their example on this one.

And yes, the natural world doesn't entertain delusions about what it can do and tends to shatter them in pretty brutal fashion, so the reality of the future might indeed be worse than Covid as there's much worse things it can deliver waiting out there. But...that's only if we collectively buy into those delusions, pretend they don't exist and don't address them.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

He'll never accept that he is the failure and the reason BJ got elected with a huge Tory majority, second only to Maggie's.

BTW I have no Tory bias. Just stating facts.

I don't think we have had any truly credible leaders of any of the mainstream parties for many years. The last GE seemed to be about choosing the least objectionable.

Rewriting history with this lol, come on, let's be honest, last elections went as they weent because of something that rhymes with rexit. 

15 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This has just done a massive U turn now, even all those who were lockdown advocates and 'more restrictions needed' have started to change their opinions.

How many more times does the dynamic of a global respiratory virus need to be explained?  Lockdown was necessary against a novel virus pre-vaccination against which there was no protection whatsoever. The principles of infection control haven't changed, simply that the virus together with the response that is needed has. 

We now have a vaccination programme and by good fortune, a milder albeit more contagious variant that has swept the globe Measures have changed in response and full lockdown is deemed to be no longer necessary in the UK. Make no mistake however, although full lockdown was never really a prospect, the laxer restrictions are as much a consequence of Bozo's attempts to bolster his waning popularity and in response to rebellion in the ranks.

SARS-CoV-2 is still out there and it always will be, but it is likely that it omicron signals the endgame and it is possible that the current pandemic will phase into epidemic and eventually endemic status within the next 18-24 months. The caveat being, where there are outbreaks of infection, and percentages of populations that are unvaccinated, there remains a risk of further mutation and the emergence of yet another variant of concern. The difference being however, we are in a far better position to respond to it than Alpha which paralysed the planet two years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

I didn't understand Costa's explanation about the free tickets.

Regardless.  They need to stop with the "staff working really hard & they deserve a treat" bollocks.  Like any of us don't know what hard work is.

Patronising fvcks

I give away any freebies that come in to the office to my hard working staff too.

39 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Not sure how many people saw Ian Hislop in the Standards Committee meeting with MPs yesterday. Loads of videos of him calling out MPs staggering incompetence and second jobs on social media, long video of it here.

Anyone living in the South Leicestershire constituency might want to scroll to about 21:45 seconds, as well.

Fvck me Costa likes the sound of his own voice lol

What a pratt 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

Fvck me Costa likes the sound of his own voice lol

What a pratt 

He's an absolute ****.

Turned up at my son's school to open a new building at the Summer Fayre a few years ago surrounded by about 5 minders. Spoke for about 30 seconds about how proud he was of the school and the area and happy to talk to anyone after about any local concerns.

Finished his speech and rushed off back into his waiting car outside the gate before anyone could get a word in. 

Must have been there all of 2 minutes in total but took to Twitter later on to say what a great time he'd had and he'd enjoyed speaking to the people about their concerns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Rain King said:

He's an absolute ****.

Turned up at my son's school to open a new building at the Summer Fayre a few years ago surrounded by about 5 minders. Spoke for about 30 seconds about how proud he was of the school and the area and happy to talk to anyone after about any local concerns.

Finished his speech and rushed off back into his waiting car outside the gate before anyone could get a word in. 

Must have been there all of 2 minutes in total but took to Twitter later on to say what a great time he'd had and he'd enjoyed speaking to the people about their concerns.

I genuinely think these people don't realise that other people see what they do and hear what say, and in some cases it's recorded. 

• Like 3