Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

To be fair there’s good reason for Parliamentary code, that said it needs a thorough truly independent review and reform. The reason liar is unparliamentary language is that it’s a relic from a time when being an ‘honourable gentleman’ in Parliaments probably meant being a wealthy landlord aristocrat and as such having your honour questioned was the same as having a hooker’s body found in your trunk today. Today’s politics, to some extent on both sides but taken to a whole new level by the current cabinet, lying is just a means to an end. As such if we have any hope of salvaging any honour in today’s political set-up there needs to be major changes made, not least to ensure you aren’t ejected for the House for being honest about a liar.

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

There does need to be some sort of rule because otherwise you'd just have both sides slinging mud at each other and shouting "LIAR!" all day, every day. Pretty sure anyone who's ever attended a local council meeting can attest to just how tedious that can get.

I’ve not had that pleasure, but I have read post-match threads.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Looks like he survives again. Will go on to win the next election because a vast part of the general public are either thick or ignorant.

I'd be very surprised if Johnson wins a majority again. Would probably leave the country if he does. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

About 15 years ago, I attended an 'auction' with my then gf. In actual fact it was a rather well targeted sales pitch of goods that may or may not have been dodgy. 

We stood agape as a very obvious wind up and manipulation of the majority of attendees took place, and by the time people were clamouring to buy the goods, we decided it was time for a cuppa and quietly left. 

All those people were voting age. And that is one example of how easy it is to goof a sizeable percentage of the electorate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Tory MP condemning his PM... Not that you'd know he was a Tory as his bio makes no reference to them.

He was Chief Whip under May, then Northern Ireland Secretary under Johnson, where he presided over the restoration of Stormont power-sharing.....until Bozza sacked him.

From Wikipedia: "Some political commentators expressed their surprise at Smith's dismissal, given his perceived success during his time as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. It was suggested that Smith's testimony to the N. Ireland Affairs Select Committee in October 2019, in which he described a potential no-deal Brexit as being "a very, very bad idea for Northern Ireland", had influenced the decision to remove him from his position. Stephen Bush, political editor of the New Statesman, speculated that the consequence of Johnson's removal of Smith would be the destabilisation of the new power-sharing agreement and increased difficulty in negotiating the details of the New Protocol".

Some glowing tributes and expressions of concern from across the Irish Sea when he was sacked: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51487695

Seems to be one of the minority of honourable and highly capable Tories (of various persuasions), like Rory Stewart, Ruth Davidson, even Andrew Mitchell.....who share the quality of having been discarded by our narcissistic King Charlatan.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

He was Chief Whip under May, then Northern Ireland Secretary under Johnson, where he presided over the restoration of Stormont power-sharing.....until Bozza sacked him.

From Wikipedia: "Some political commentators expressed their surprise at Smith's dismissal, given his perceived success during his time as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. It was suggested that Smith's testimony to the N. Ireland Affairs Select Committee in October 2019, in which he described a potential no-deal Brexit as being "a very, very bad idea for Northern Ireland", had influenced the decision to remove him from his position. Stephen Bush, political editor of the New Statesman, speculated that the consequence of Johnson's removal of Smith would be the destabilisation of the new power-sharing agreement and increased difficulty in negotiating the details of the New Protocol".

Some glowing tributes and expressions of concern from across the Irish Sea when he was sacked: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51487695

Seems to be one of the minority of honourable and highly capable Tories (of various persuasions), like Rory Stewart, Ruth Davidson, even Andrew Mitchell.....who share the quality of having been discarded by our narcissistic King Charlatan.

Speaking of whom:

• Thanks 1

**** it, at this point I am just going to pledge my support to Boris. Pointless doing otherwise. He's a good egg. The only people I'd prefer to run the Country would be Nadine Dorries or Dominc Raabies

Edited by SecretPro

45 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

We're being taken for fools.

Sue gray’s report will no doubt reveal the notable names of those who attended parties gatherings…..

however, no 10 mentioned yesterday that they reserved the right to not publish those parts of the report where individuals were named …..

I think we know where this is going …..

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sue gray’s report will no doubt reveal the notable names of those who attended parties gatherings…..

however, no 10 mentioned yesterday that they reserved the right to not publish those parts of the report where individuals were named …..

I think we know where this is going …..

It’s amazing how the Met had no interest in investigating until them investigating helped the Government bury the bad news.

• Like 1