Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

Just now, Saxondale said:

I do understand how problematic it would have been to be seen to be ‘overturning’ the referendum (which was non binding anyway, I might add), but there were ways this could/should have been approached. For example, a second referendum based on the actual proposed terms of exit.

It’s probably worth remembering that, in the Supreme Court, the Government’s leading barrister argued that you can’t void the result of the referendum due to electoral interference because there’s nothing to void, i.e. it was an advisory poll only. Had it been binding, it would have been ruled void.

And, yes, you’re right about immigration. But more specifically, I think it was about non-EU migrants (for example Middle Eastern refugees). People were under the impression it was the EU ‘forcing’ migrants on us, which is factually untrue. The number of such migrants we actually take in is surprisingly small. It was a blunt force ‘foreigners out’ vote’.

The ‘you can’t ignore the referendum’ argument reminds me of Peep Show when Mark accidentally proposes to Sophie. “You’re going to stay married to this woman for the rest of your life because of social embarrassment?”

• Haha 2

As I’ve just read someone say, the ‘parties’ story is something which runs but the real problem for the Tories and the whole country as a whole is such the vast sums of money being written off. 

There’s already been a NI rise. There’s more coming for the general public. When the after effects of the pandemic bite, it’s going to a very, very difficult job for the government to keep a positive public opinion of them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

As I’ve just read someone say, the ‘parties’ story is something which runs but the real problem for the Tories and the whole country as a whole is such the vast sums of money being written off. 

There’s already been a NI rise. There’s more coming for the general public. When the after effects of the pandemic bite, it’s going to a very, very difficult job for the government to keep a positive public opinion of them. 

Where did everyone think the money was coming from?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Where did everyone think the money was coming from?

And that’s never stopped complaints or public opinion before.

Whatever party is in power when the tax increases come are going to face criticism, justified or otherwise 

• Like 1

I'm far from the Tories biggest fan, but the "9 Billion Overspend" is a little overblown. We needed PPE and everyone was trying to buy it - we were going to have to pay a huge premium, and if we hadn't, we would instead have been running stories like "Tories don't want to spend money to save our doctors". 

I'm more interested in how many sneaky backhanders were given to their friends in those payments.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I am contemplating writing to the local MP, Costa, to gauge his thoughts and reaction to all of this but I'm not entirely sure it is worth the time or effort quite frankly.

lollollol

The thoughts of Alberto Costa aren't worth anyone's time or effort. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

I'm far from the Tories biggest fan, but the "9 Billion Overspend" is a little overblown. We needed PPE and everyone was trying to buy it - we were going to have to pay a huge premium, and if we hadn't, we would instead have been running stories like "Tories don't want to spend money to save our doctors". 

I'm more interested in how many sneaky backhanders were given to their friends in those payments.

Happy to be corrected, but my understanding was that a lot of the cash being written off was for PPE that wasn't supplied to the correct standards, and largely because the companies given government contracts had no business applying for them in the first place.

According to some reports, the Treasury preferred to write-off the cash rather than get the help of the National Crime Agency to reclaim it, because of "embarrassment".

https://bmmagazine.co.uk/news/sunak-urged-to-allow-national-crime-agency-to-probe-astronomical-levels-of-covid-loan-fraud/

Edited by Górnik Leicester

3 hours ago, polarbear said:

Not up to date on canadian politics, whats Trudeau done or not done? 

There is alot of both since he first formed a government  6 years ago. From aga khan scandal, trip to India,  black face pics, snc lavalin scandal,  WE scandal, throwing money away like it grows on trees, not doing more for indigenous communities who dont have clean drinking water, shutting down parliament to hide from questions. etc, etc, etc.

Some is standard run of the mill political BS.  Not to say he hasn't done good but the only reason he is still the leader is due to a lack of good opposition candidates. I have voted for and against him in 3 elections he has run in a row. Oh ya, the unnecessary early election he just ran last year because he wanted a majority (and failed to get it) during the pandemic wasting millllions when so many are struggling. 

4 minutes ago, Górnik Leicester said:

Happy to be corrected, but my understanding was that a lot of the cash being written off was for PPE that wasn't supplied to the correct standards, and largely because the companies given government contracts had no business applying for them in the first place.

According to some reports, the Treasury preferred to write-off the cash rather than get the help of the National Crime Agency to reclaim it, because of "embarrassment".

https://bmmagazine.co.uk/news/sunak-urged-to-allow-national-crime-agency-to-probe-astronomical-levels-of-covid-loan-fraud/

4.7 billion is written down stock which is still useable but not worth anything like what they paid. 

How on earth they ordered and paid for that much stuff at hugely inflated cost sums up the ineptitude of govt procurement- yes it was a crisis but buying that much stuff is just incredible. 

of course it could be that the prices they have paid were so enormously inflated that they didn’t buy that much stuff (an issue on its own)  but the stories of thousands of containers sitting in fields around the U.K. probably says that they did …

its a nonsense whatever the story - 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

4.7 billion is written down stock which is still useable but not worth anything like what they paid. 

How on earth they ordered and paid for that much stuff at hugely inflated cost sums up the ineptitude of govt procurement- yes it was a crisis but buying that much stuff is just incredible. 

of course it could be that the prices they have paid were so enormously inflated that they didn’t buy that much stuff (an issue on its own)  but the stories of thousands of containers sitting in fields around the U.K. probably says that they did …

I think what this pandemic has exposed is the sheer incompetence and complete lack of joined up thinking. How could anyone even start righting the wrongs. It seems endemic among politicians of all colours. How intelligent people elected to serve the public can conduct themselves in this way is beyond me. Just wait until this cost of living crisis really starts to bite!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Well it's easy to spend other people's money.