Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

'current Labour party'. It's vastly different to back then surely?! 

Do not get me wrong, the Tory party has disgraced themselves during this tenure, but how can anyone forgive what Blair and Brown did is utterly beyond me, it was THE ultimate betrayal.

But yes, it is not the same Labour party, and they do deserve their chance and we will see how it goes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just remember when we are paying the rise in tax 

There is a context to the bank levy tax cut which I read at the time - I believe it’s going to be a neutral change ref the tax take …. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong 

of course any change that allows you to be beaten around the head is not a good change to make 

31 minutes ago, StanSP said:

@Bert what have you seen in the current Labour Party that makes you think they will be just as deceiving and corrupt?

This current Tory government have set some ridiculously new levels of how to be those things. Not sure what there is about this Labour party that makes you think it'll be the same.

I don't hold that many politicians in high regard either but genuinely don't think anyone could be as prominently and severely misguided and ignorant as the current lot. 

It’s just how I feel. You’re right they probably won’t be as bad but anyone thinking that a huge change for everyone and that they’ll go through with all their promises happen should give their heads a wobble. Nothing will change my mind, the majority and especially the ones at the top of the chain are only in it for themselves. 

30 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I hate this argument. Labour might be shit but we've had over ten years of tory shit. Its probably worth a punt going for a different shit sandwich for now.

You’re right it might be. But until their actions speak louder than words absolutely nothing will change my mind. 

If I went to vote labour my constituency would still be Labour. If I went to vote Conservative my constituency would be still be Labour. If I went to vote Lib Dem. My constituency would still be Labour.

As mentioned my interest and knowledge on/in politics is very minor and I think a lot of it is all down to the bullshit that’s been spun since I was old enough to know my own mind. 

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

It’s just how I feel. You’re right they probably won’t be as bad but anyone thinking that a huge change for everyone and that they’ll go through with all their promises happen should give their heads a wobble. Nothing will change my mind, the majority and especially the ones at the top of the chain are only in it for themselves. 

I think there's a world of difference between attempting to do the things you promised and ultimately failing, and just not bothering to even try and do the things you've promised, or cancelling them before even trying. The tories have pulled the plug on numerous election pledges before they've even attempted to honour them.

• Like 3

Btw anyone thinks well if I vote x, it’s going to be x. That’s exactly what happened where I lived and it was a Tory for the first time in twenty years. 

At first he impressed me, appeared happy to be out and about. Didn’t fit the Tory stereotype - openly gay for one. 

Since then his opinions and voting record is foul. In particular the position he took on free school dinners despite a very public campaign by a number of street food providers in the same area. 

Came out to defend Boris a couple of days ago

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Apologies for what might well be a remarkably naive question, but what the actual f**k does 'levelling up' mean? My guess is it's nonsense that sounds good.

I think that you're right here. Not least because the concept of "levelling down" existed in political discourse before the concept of "levelling up".

If anyone with a Leftish tinge suggested raising taxes on wealth/high incomes to fund redistribution or public services, one frequent accusation was that this would be "levelling down".

So, when according to legend, Robin Head "took from the rich and gave to the poor", he was guilty of "levelling down".

I reckon that to some extent the electoral marketing slogan came before the policy. The Tories had a large bloc of voters who'd always vote for them out of belief, tradition or self-interest.

But to get a majority, they needed other voters - particularly as their chances have receded in most cities, university towns etc. In 2019, Brexit was their main vote winner in the "red wall" seats they successfully wooed, but it was twinned with the "levelling up" concept - that towns/areas neglected and in decline for decades (mainly since the Thatcher era) would get more jobs, money, infrastructure, facilities etc.

Past Tory accusations that demands for fairer wealth redistribution are motivated by envy and a desire to "level down" seem to have been pretty successful with voters.

So, I can just imagine some Tory electoral strategist/marketing bod proposing the "levelling up" concept as a vote-winner.

As to what it means in practice, it seems to involve....

- Infrastructure spending on a small scale compared to either the "levelling up" of the former East Germany or other UK projects (e.g. spending on dodgy PPE contracts for their mates in business)

- The re-announcement of pre-existing spending

- What the Yanks call "pork barrel politics": i.e. spending targeted so as to win particular seats - most of their spending on the Towns Fund is targeted on marginal constituencies and not equally deprived areas that have a large Labour majority

- The re-promotion of Free Ports, which existed previously in both UK and EU, as a means of "levelling up" deprived port towns - although there's the risk that it merely shifts economic activity from inland areas to ports, while cutting tax income. However, it does come with the bonus for Tories of being able to suggest that it is a "Brexit benefit", despite such economic free zones/ports existing and being allowed within the EU

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Which is why I don’t vote. People say oh “well if you don’t vote you don’t have a right to moan”. As mentioned I don’t really care enough. Also my vote if I was to vote wouldn’t change a thing in my constituency. 

Which will be exactly the same if another party got into power. They’re all as bad as each other. Lie to get into power. Don’t follow up their promises. Do what suits them and not what suits the people that have voted for them. 

I sympathise with that bit in bold. But maybe it's an argument for you to contact your MP to demand a fairer voting system?

The timing could be right as an increasing number of Labour Party members and MPs are supportive - not least out of self-interest (increasingly difficult for Labour to win a majority under the current system).

Of course, yours is just one voice, but a lot of voices together make a noise that might be heard......more chance of things changing than through cynicism and disengagement.

I genuinely don't think any other party - or the Tories of the past - would be as bad as this one, even if they would all tell a few lies to get into power and not fulfil some promises.

But I do think that the voting public bears some responsibility for this.

An honest centre-left party would say: "We'll redistribute wealth a bit and spend more on public services, but that will require people to pay a bit more tax".

An honest centre-right party would say: "We'll cut tax and allow people to spend more of their own money, but that will require cutbacks in public services".

But voters won't support either argument. They want to hear: "I'll be able to get better public services while paying less tax". So parties have to get close to that stance. They have to lie and make impossible promises to get elected....

• Like 2

Labour are again a social liberal party, they won't ever touch power again if they're just tories lite, no matter how corrupt and weak the Tories are. And i dislike the Tories more than anyone but you beat these lot with strong conviction and actual policies. Labour took way too long to even call for boris to resign.  No leader is perfect but starmer is absolutely awful. His policies show no ambition like when he falls into talking about tax breaks instead of actual public spending on the most necessary things in society. 

It's funny, now a days an actual keynesian social democratic party and policies are considered radical. When you let the right wing dictate everything since thatcher and later blair then there's no surprise we are where we are. Whether it's with brexit or economic policies. Simple as that. 

Edited by NasPb