Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yes, on the one side there's the tale of a country wanting to democratically join an international cooperation treaty, in part for security and the ability to better defend itself.  On the other side there's the tale of a different country whose leader wants to prevent that country gaining these benefits and has threatened nuclear war if we don't let them occupy a foreign state.  The former is highly aggressive and confrontational, the latter is perfectly peaceful and justified behaviour, right?

As detestable as the Russian oligarchy is, I’m not at all sure that it’s the democratic right of any country to join NATO. They have the democratic right to aspire to such, but it is up to NATO to decide if they can enter, and that would be an extremely provocative move to Russia. I think we can all imagine the reaction of the US if Russia and China formed a military alliance and tried to recruit Mexico.

Surely the best solution post breakup of the USSR would have been a demilitarised zone around Russia in their old satellite states? I had thought that this was the original position? Russia is extremely dangerous as a cornered animal.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

As detestable as the Russian oligarchy is, I’m not at all sure that it’s the democratic right of any country to join NATO. They have the democratic right to aspire to such, but it is up to NATO to decide if they can enter, and that would be an extremely provocative move to Russia. I think we can all imagine the reaction of the US if Russia and China formed a military alliance and tried to recruit Mexico.

Surely the best solution post breakup of the USSR would have been a demilitarised zone around Russia in their old satellite states? I had thought that this was the original position? Russia is extremely dangerous as a cornered animal.

So those 'old satellite states' (or alternatively, 'sovereign nations') don't get any say in the matter? They have no right to self-determination because granting them that might offend poor old Russia? That seems a pretty shitty deal to me.

Edited by ClaphamFox

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

So those 'old satellite states' (or alternatively, 'sovereign nations') don't get any say in the matter? They have no right to self-determination because granting them that might offend poor old Russia? That seems a pretty shitty deal to me.

They don’t get the right to join NATO, no. That’s for NATO to decide, and for NATO to do so is effectively expansionist, plays to Russian paranoia, and risks confrontation. There seems to be a great deal of jingoistic thinking on this subject in this thread. Do we really think NATO should risk nuclear confrontation to pursue expansion?

Perhaps such confrontation is inevitable. Same with China over Taiwan and their general increased assertiveness in Asia. The world will be a dangerous place over the next 50 years or so. I don’t know what the answer is, but prodding the bear does seem to help to me.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

They don’t get the right to join NATO, no. That’s for NATO to decide, and for NATO to do so is effectively expansionist, plays to Russian paranoia, and risks confrontation. There seems to be a great deal of jingoistic thinking on this subject in this thread. Do we really think NATO should risk nuclear confrontation to pursue expansion?

Perhaps such confrontation is inevitable. Same with China over Taiwan and their general increased assertiveness in Asia. The world will be a dangerous place over the next 50 years or so. I don’t know what the answer is, but prodding the bear does seem to help to me.

You could be right, there's certainly no evidence to the contrary, but I hope not. Humanity becoming even more divided right at the wrong time isn't exactly what we need.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

It is but it is also common sense.  It is not in their interests to have war with Russia either, and like it or not they cannot change their neighbours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Since when did the police send a ****ing questionnaire? Surely if you have questions, you ask them properly. Or am I being dense here? 

Yeah but you could lie in an interview, whereas this ‘must be answered truthfully’. So makes sense really.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah but you could lie in an interview, whereas this ‘must be answered truthfully’. So makes sense really.

Yeah and there's absolutely no way they'll all get together and make sure their stories match up lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah and there's absolutely no way they'll all get together and make sure their stories match up lol

They aren’t allowed to mate, it will come with instructions. 
1. don’t collaborate.

2 tell the truth.

Whatever happens now, we will obviously get justice.

• Haha 3

People were worried about police funding cuts, but really this just proves we don’t need beat bobbies and expensive CID teams. We just need a database of email addresses and no crime will ever go unsolved.

Edited by Strokes
  • Haha 2

Sounds likely the police have photos and witness statements for attendees at most of these "work gatherings" and will use the answers as admissions of guilt for the basis of issuing fines so they can't be contested. 

If you started telling porkies at this stage you go down the Chris Huhne route. 

Generally I refrain from posting lefty talking heads videos to avoid the inevitable triggering it would cause but just take a look.

They are literally making it all up as they go along and laughing at you all behind your backs for trusting them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/10/climate-activists-buy-environment-secretarys-cornwall-constituency-office

Top trolling by Insulate Britain.  Buy the building that George Eustice rents for his constituency office & use those payments towards legal costs for protesters.

For anyone who has ever visited Camborne, I find the whole town deeply disturbing.  The place is poverty ridden.  They guy mustn't have a conscience to witness that level of deprivation on a regular basis & behave the way he does.

• Like 4