Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

On 15/02/2022 at 14:14, urban.spaceman said:

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

I’m obviously still not fully awake. 

I read that as “Matt Hancock broke rules with Dildo”:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Does anyone else think that someone like Rishi Sunak being PM would be way worse than Johnson?

When Johnson (regularly) screws over people, there's always the thought that it could be more because of his incompetence than malice. When Sunak screws over people, you know that he knows exactly what he's doing.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Mr Bridgen illustrates that quote rather well here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Mr Bridgen illustrates that quote rather well here.

Bridgen is an arrogant bellend!!...

Perfectly suited for this pathetic excuse of a Government!!🤬

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Johnson now advocating for personal responsibility while at the same time removing the free resources with which people can exercise said responsibility. Also, being lectured about personal responsibility by BORIS ****ING JOHNSON is an insult.

The "free resources" that cost £2 billion in January alone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Quite. But everyone is paying for it all through taxes. It's money that could and now will be spent more effectively. 

The £13 billion they wrote off in dodgy PPE and actual fraud would have more than covered the Universal Credit uplift removal but they chose instead to remove support from the extremely vulnerable while letting actual criminals off the hook and absolving themselves from accountability for their many failures during the pandemic. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

One big difference about comparing covid with the flu and going to work with it. Of course you might spread flu but usually as soon as symptoms arise you are too ill to even get out of bed. With covid you could spread a lot more as symptoms may be so mild. I do hope that people are responsible if they do have covid 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

The £13 billion they wrote off in dodgy PPE and actual fraud would have more than covered the Universal Credit uplift removal but they chose instead to remove support from the extremely vulnerable while letting actual criminals off the hook and absolving themselves from accountability for their many failures during the pandemic. 

I don't disagree. The PPE scandal is absolutely criminal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

One big difference about comparing covid with the flu and going to work with it. Of course you might spread flu but usually as soon as symptoms arise you are too ill to even get out of bed. With covid you could spread a lot more as symptoms may be so mild. I do hope that people are responsible if they do have covid 

Most people aren’t even responsible with their own health and well-being. I really don’t see this being anything out of the ordinary. Sadly 

• Like 1

Picking up on @Line-X's post in the "War" thread about the short memory span of British voters....

I wonder if the threat to Johnson's leadership is now over, at least until after the May elections?

- The extended Met Police investigation and other events have taken Partygate out of the media and out of the minds of many voters

- Through that media shift and the early abandonment of Covid restrictions, he's been able to recover the support of many of his backbenchers, and perhaps many potential Tory voters

- The prospect of a major war will further discourage wavering Tory MPs from toppling him, facilitating the escape of the "greased piglet" & the protection of his power and his ego (the only things of any concern to him)

In normal times, if the Met came back and fined him and his entourage for Covid breaches, you'd expect that to be fatal to his premiership.

But I reckon he might be able to bluster his way through that. Would Tory MPs really want to depose him when the public has been cheered up by "the end of Covid" and when a war is ongoing in Ukraine?

The May elections might be Johnson's moment of danger. If those prove disastrous for the Tories, he'd be under threat again. If they are disastrous, I suspect that'll be due to the cost of living crisis, not Partygate, Covid, Brexit or N. Ireland.

I reckon many voters will have almost forgotten Partygate by then - and voters tend to assume (wrongly in my view) that most politicians are corrupt and self-serving, so it's priced in to some extent.

Voters largely forgot or shrugged off Covid mismanagement ranging from the high per-capita death toll to billions wasted on dubious procurement. Will the ire aroused by Partygate not also abate within a couple of months?

If I'm right about that, Johnson's leadership might depend on how much voters blame him for the cost of living crisis. If voters don't particularly blame the govt for that, the May election results might not be too bad for the Tories.

If those results are even just "a bit poor", he'll be able to dismiss it as "mid-term blues" or whatever, won't he? I'm starting to think that, if the Tories don't get a massive hammering in those elections, Johnson may be leader for a long while yet.... :S:mad:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

We had some local elections here last week and the Tories lost to LibDems or LibDems strengthened their lead. Those excuses were exactly what were parroted by the local Tory council leader along with some "possible small dis-satisfaction around Partygate". So, I'd say you're bang on the money

Edited by blabyboy

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/business-and-finance/2022/02/the-tories-talk-tough-on-russia-and-welcome-its-dirty-money

A report that came out in the US last week, written by a former Obama-era official, said that “uprooting Kremlin-linked oligarchs” would be a “challenge given the close ties between Russian money and the United Kingdom’s ruling Conservative Party, the press and its [Britain’s] real estate and financial industry”.’

Quick one for the political experts. How can Labour call for Johnson to resign, should he be served with a fixed penalty notice or fine over party gate. Whilst at the same time having a convicted criminal, Claudia Webbe still serving as an MP.  Do different rules apply to PM’s?