Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

Ludicrous comparison from Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/19/pms-comparison-of-ukraine-resistance-to-uk-brexit-vote-criticised-as-crass

The Liberal Democrat leader, Ed Davey, said Johnson’s “buffoonery” was in stark contrast with the statesmanship of the Ukrainian president, and risked dividing European leaders at a crucial moment. “At a time when Britain should be standing with our allies, Johnson is needlessly creating division. To compare a referendum to women and children fleeing Putin’s bombs is an insult to every Ukrainian. He is no Churchill: he is Basil Fawlty.”

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Ludicrous comparison from Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/19/pms-comparison-of-ukraine-resistance-to-uk-brexit-vote-criticised-as-crass

The Liberal Democrat leader, Ed Davey, said Johnson’s “buffoonery” was in stark contrast with the statesmanship of the Ukrainian president, and risked dividing European leaders at a crucial moment. “At a time when Britain should be standing with our allies, Johnson is needlessly creating division. To compare a referendum to women and children fleeing Putin’s bombs is an insult to every Ukrainian. He is no Churchill: he is Basil Fawlty.”

He somehow seems to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as he was handling Ukraine diplomacy ok until yesterday. International credibility on the matter gone in an instant. Utter pillock. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Well that’s rattled a few remainiacs lol

To be fair it’s a ludicrous comparison to suggest no matter how you voted. It’s beginning to feel like we have our own Trump.

• Like 4

Lord Barwell, who served as Theresa May's chief of staff in No 10, said: "Apart from the bit where voting in a free and fair referendum isn't in any way comparable with risking your life to defend your country against invasion, and the awkward fact the Ukrainians are fighting for the freedom to join the EU, this comparison is bang on."

Is there anyone who liked what the PM said?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Lord Barwell, who served as Theresa May's chief of staff in No 10, said: "Apart from the bit where voting in a free and fair referendum isn't in any way comparable with risking your life to defend your country against invasion, and the awkward fact the Ukrainians are fighting for the freedom to join the EU, this comparison is bang on."

Is there anyone who liked what the PM said?

I thought it was a brilliant comparison which only the super intelligent could understand and everyone picking it apart is a remoaning fool.

Only kidding, no idea what the hell he was going on about.  A very tenuous point about the freedom to decide on your political destiny might be in there somewhere I suppose, but if that was his point he certainly buried it in stupid.  Although I do think suggesting one stupid comment undoes all the good diplomacy the UK has done re Ukraine is just as silly.  People who thought Boris is an idiot still do, people who look past the guy at the top and recognize the huge support given to Ukraine since 2014 by the UK in terms of training their army, and this year in terms of weapons and political support still do.

• Like 1

Parliament at its finest this morning as Peter Hebblethwaite, CEO of P&O Ferries, was torn a brand new arsehole by the Transport and Business committees.

If he hadn't come across as a despicable individual, I could almost have felt sorry for him. I can't remember the last time I saw someone so eviscerated by MPs.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Bit harsh.  Some people rely on them as an essential service.

50 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Bit harsh.  Some people rely on them as an essential service.

Ah well...

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't understand how anybody can describe the last 12 years of Conservative government as anything other than a disaster.

You can't, it has been. Would it have been better under others when faced with the same challenges? Suspect yes, but would we still be moaning due whats going on? I should expect so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Sure we've been affected by global crises but choices made by the government over this period have made things worse. Some of those have been motivated by ideology or simply placating extreme factions in their party. 

Agreed. Irrelevant of politics the sheer incompetence of the last 12 years have been absurd at point. And worst of all the consequences for the people concerned have been zilch*.

*sorry, forgot they get peerages for being extra special!

Edited by Fox in the North

I do feel like my outlook on politics and assessment of the direction of travel is very negative comparing 2010 to 2022. The Conservative party has proven itself good at winning elections and nothing else in my opinion. 

Both referendums have resulted in irreparable damage to the UK I believed in. I have zero faith that a government will be elected that represents my political wishes in the near term. 

I think the frustrating thing about the UK is that it has the potential to be an amazing country with an extremely happy society, but for some reason nobody seems to want to build that, they just accept being average, or really below average for our wealth and power. At least France for example seems to want to reverse their decline, here we just embrace it.

• Like 3