Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Fair play to the LDs for that one. It'll doubtless get little attention compared to Hartlepool but that's a staggering effort to rob so many Tory votes.

Be nice to think this means people left of centre are finally going to stop being complete dipshits and realise tactical voting is a necessary evil in our system too if we all truly want that lot out...

Amersham/Chesham is close to me and as middle England Tory as it gets. That’s a stunning result by the Lib Dem’s.

I wonder if HS2 has anything to do with it as that rips through this area and has pissed the locals of for ages.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Amersham/Chesham is close to me and as middle England Tory as it gets. That’s a stunning result by the Lib Dem’s.

I wonder if HS2 has anything to do with it as that rips through this area and has pissed the locals of for ages.

I note that she is also in the same line of business as you - coaching, training and communication - and seeing the name of the company that she set up I wondered whether you were business partners ? 

https://greenandginger.com

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Reading up it seems they campaigned very hard on that. #FBPE types trying to claim it's all about Brexit but I'm not having that. Railways and Government incompetence have lost the Tories this one.

Guest Kopfkino
38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yep Lib Dem’s went hard on HS2 and housing planning. Classic effective Lib Dem by-election local issues campaigning and ironically exploits the innate conservatism in people when it comes to where they live

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We’ve discussed it before - the Blue Wall has a few rickety parts. Demographics are changing in certain Southern areas 

This isn’t a demographics one, Chesham and Amersham is lots of old wealthy NIMBYs. It encapsulates the Conservative problem, try to do something to get housing built in areas people might actually want to live/is useful to live and the wealthy old people in the south-east kick up a stink because heaven forbid we lose some industrialised farmland (the countryside around Chesham and Amersham is some of the better I must say). Maybe the planning reforms are terrible, I haven’t paid much attention to them, but these people will look for any excuse 

Edited by Kopfkino

One other thing about the Lib Dems...

Here in Bucks we've always had Tory local councilors for as long as I can remember. With the recent local elections, the only candidate who knocked on doors was the Lib Dem chap. My wife spoke to him and said he was great so she voted for him.

And he won.

Maybe some good old fashioned canvassing and door knocking is the way to go?

There's a hint of nimbyism yeah (when official party policy heavily backs HS2 and calls for increased house building) but I think the issue of giving local people more say is a valid one. It's pleasing to see the effort pay off because that means less areas being taken for granted. 

It makes me wonder where Labour go from here?

Scotland lost, probably for good, the Red Wall still painted blue by a wave of Nationalism, and the Liberals seemingly the challenger in the South.

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

One other thing about the Lib Dems...

Here in Bucks we've always had Tory local councilors for as long as I can remember. With the recent local elections, the only candidate who knocked on doors was the Lib Dem chap. My wife spoke to him and said he was great so she voted for him.

And he won.

Maybe some good old fashioned canvassing and door knocking is the way to go?

They had Ed Davey knocking doors in Aversham too. In honesty, in a time where trust in politics and politicians is so precarious, what better way to appear to be the more human and ‘normal’ party than turning up, having a chat and putting yourself across well?

The thing is as a by-election the Liberals bussed members in to canvas, and could afford to have the party leader pretty much based there. That won’t be possible in a general election but it’s somewhat more achievable if they base their activities in the ‘blue wall’ across the southern counties, and all indicators (ie Ed Davey quite literally knocking down a miniature blue wall) they probably do stand a chance of nicking some seats.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Buce said:

It makes me wonder where Labour go from here?

Scotland lost, probably for good, the Red Wall still painted blue by a wave of Nationalism, and the Liberals seemingly the challenger in the South.

They're dead in the water. I've said it for a long time now, but as a Labour voter, I've had to accept that Labour are finished for the foreseeable future.

Many people are single-issue voters and the shadow of Brexit (and Corbynism to a certain extent) still looms large. Given that Starmer hasn't shifted opinion one jot when the government (and Johnson in particular) have been fvcking up at pretty much every available opportunity during the pandemic, it doesn't bode well. The monumental success of the vaccine program is what people will choose to remember. 

There's nobody else in the Labour party who could make the necessary impact in an age of personality politics. 

The electorate will reject them until they make a massive shift towards centrism. 

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

They're dead in the water. I've said it for a long time now, but as a Labour voter, I've had to accept that Labour are finished for the foreseeable future.

Many people are single-issue voters and the shadow of Brexit (and Corbynism to a certain extent) still looms large. Given that Starmer hasn't shifted opinion one jot when the government (and Johnson in particular) have been fvcking up at pretty much every available opportunity during the pandemic, it doesn't bode well. The monumental success of the vaccine program is what people will choose to remember. 

There's nobody else in the Labour party who could make the necessary impact in an age of personality politics. 

The electorate will reject them until they make a massive shift towards centrism. 

It’s not how you start a pandemic but how you finish one.

That'll be a new saying in years to come :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 18/06/2021 at 15:16, RoboFox said:

I'm still convinced Ed Miliband could steer Labour to a comeback.  

Sometimes things are about timing..last time it was all wrong. I think the media might be much fairer this time around and prepared to hear out a thinker/intellectual and an obviously nice fella. 

Currently we have a moron leading, and supported by, morons. The by election this week proved that thinking tories are not quite as sold on the fool. 

Plus, a progressive left might have to learn to work together in coalition and stand aside in seats. Something they should've done in the last election but were unable to, thanks to Corbyn.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Labour should probably consider this bad news. Horrible man, regardless of anything Brexit.

Bercow was my MP down here in Bucks for years. Possibly as unpopular here as Vaz is in Leicester.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I thought rats were meant to leave a sinking ship rather than join one lol

14 hours ago, Dunge said:

Labour should probably consider this bad news. Horrible man, regardless of anything Brexit.

14 hours ago, Izzy said:

Bercow was my MP down here in Bucks for years. Possibly as unpopular here as Vaz is in Leicester.

Each to their own, he’s one of my favourite politicians, very witty and was on great form this morning.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2021 at 08:23, Izzy said:

As I live very close by, I know that the HS2, is massively repsonsible . The local paper is full of news and views, from residents, who are hugely angry with it's effect on the environment. I'm not surprised by this rsult. Even my staunch Tory friend voted Lib Dem.

Nimbyism trumps what could be good for the nation as a whole. Everyone wants a mobile phone nobody wants a mobile phone mast. The problem with a lot of these national infrastructure schemes is they do nothing for those that live along side the route. HS2 is a waste of money but that is a different story.