Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

15 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

For those "waiting for Survation" ...

What has happened to give the Tories a five point swing over the past fortnight, England football bounce or something?

Probably the Priti Patel immigration border control lock everyone up bill 

51 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

For those "waiting for Survation" ...

What has happened to give the Tories a five point swing over the past fortnight, England football bounce or something?

My guess would be natural variation in the polling.

It’ll be more interesting to see across the polls what happens in a few weeks, when the England racism situation and the reticence over complete opening up come into them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dunge said:

It’ll be more interesting to see across the polls what happens in a few weeks...

To be fair, people have been saying "yeah but wait for such and such to kick in" (etc) many times over the past six months and it's still not brought much poll negativity for Boris or poll joy for Kierth so far.

23 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

To be fair, people have been saying "yeah but wait for such and such to kick in" (etc) many times over the past six months and it's still not brought much poll negativity for Boris or poll joy for Kierth so far.

That’s a new one

49 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Still, you’d think something would kick in eventually, and continuing to recommend mask use is something I suspect will get many a goat.

8 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Still, you’d think something would kick in eventually, and continuing to recommend mask use is something I suspect will get many a goat.

Something will surely kick in, they can't keep having these decent sized leads, might be a change of Labour leader which does it, unless Kiefth suddenly strikes a chord with a wider audience.

Ive pretty much given up watching overseas politics other than its impact on the world stage.. but, i just saw.. that the current UK labour leader is a "Sir".. is this true?.... If so, no wonder they are such a complete shitshow.

New LAbour destroyed almost everything that the real labour party stood for, i doubt they (as they are now) will ever see power in my lifetime.

The Aust Labor party is in the same boat... lite versions of corrupt conservatives who have lost their way with their real supporter base and simply feed the middle class greed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Ive pretty much given up watching overseas politics other than its impact on the world stage.. but, i just saw.. that the current UK labour leader is a "Sir".. is this true?.... If so, no wonder they are such a complete shitshow.

New LAbour destroyed almost everything that the real labour party stood for, i doubt they (as they are now) will ever see power in my lifetime.

The Aust Labor party is in the same boat... lite versions of corrupt conservatives who have lost their way with their real supporter base and simply feed the middle class greed.

The reason he's a Sir is more than deserved and you could argue at an absolute credit to this country. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

Think those points are really valid @David Guiza, on paper Starmer is the perfect Labour leader at this point. Seperated from the far left wing of the party and with an impressive career before his political one. He's the "adult in the room" to contrast Boris's bluster.

The annoyance really has been that his demeanor leaves to him appearing completely unbothered at what this government is doing, I'd love to see him fired up and angry. He's just far to non-committal on any issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LVocey said:

Think those points are really valid @David Guiza, on paper Starmer is the perfect Labour leader at this point. Seperated from the far left wing of the party and with an impressive career before his political one. He's the "adult in the room" to contrast Boris's bluster.

The annoyance really has been that his demeanor leaves to him appearing completely unbothered at what this government is doing, I'd love to see him fired up and angry. He's just far to non-committal on any issue.

I quite like the guy and personally I'd vote for him but I don't really see how he is the 'perfect Labour Leader' on paper. I'm not really sure how a London-based, pro-European, barrister is going to reconnect with working class voters in the north and the midlands. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I quite like the guy and personally I'd vote for him but I don't really see how he is the 'perfect Labour Leader' on paper. I'm not really sure how a London-based, pro-European, barrister is going to reconnect with working class voters in the north and the midlands. 

A London-based Old Etonian seems to have managed it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

How can an old Etonian, £1000 a roll lying bully, who despises poor people attract such voters? 

20 hours ago, Dunge said:

My guess would be natural variation in the polling.

It’ll be more interesting to see across the polls what happens in a few weeks, when the England racism situation and the reticence over complete opening up come into them.

Subsequent polls been a lot closer and more notably Lib Dems support growing which links into some Tory fears

3 hours ago, LVocey said:

Absolutely. Needs more passion. Honestly believe our Nige would be more effective. 

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Subsequent polls been a lot closer and more notably Lib Dems support growing which links into some Tory fears

Since May 24th there have been 40 polls.

The last 20, the Tories have averaged a lead of 9.3%

The previous 20 the average was 10.3%

So there's been only a tiny shift towards Labour.

Serious Q, does the slight increase for the LDs not eat into Labour as well?

3 hours ago, LVocey said:

His calmer demeanour is something I like about him. Although there is room for more energy in my view: Not anger at the Conservatives, but passion for what he sees in Britain’s future. He comes across as an administrator rather than a visionary, which isn’t all a bad thing but you need both to be a truly attractive leader.

• Like 2

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It probably does, but I’d suggest not in any meaningful way as any Labour —> Lib Dem vote would be most likely in an area where voters are combining forces to go anti-Tory. It could be considered good news for Labour if they were willing to go into coalition with the Lib Dems, which this Labour surely would in a heartbeat as it’s difficult to see much real difference between them right now.

20 minutes ago, Dunge said:

It probably does, but I’d suggest not in any meaningful way as any Labour —> Lib Dem vote would be most likely in an area where voters are combining forces to go anti-Tory. It could be considered good news for Labour if they were willing to go into coalition with the Lib Dems, which this Labour surely would in a heartbeat as it’s difficult to see much real difference between them right now.

Over the past 10 polls, the average is:
Con 41.6 (down from 42.7 compared to the previous 10)

Lab 32.9 (down from 33)

LD 10.3 (up from 9.3)

So you could assume from that the LD 1% rise is at expense of the Cons 1% drop

Cons average lead over the same period drops from 10% to 8.6%

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Over the past 10 polls, the average is:
Con 41.6 (down from 42.7 compared to the previous 10)

Lab 32.9 (down from 33)

LD 10.3 (up from 9.3)

So you could assume from that the LD 1% rise is at expense of the Cons 1% drop

Cons average lead over the same period drops from 10% to 8.6%

In general, probably so. The issue for the Tories might be where it happens though. If it’s focussed in seats where the Tories are fighting the Lib Dems, as it probably is, then that matters to them a lot more than the same swing from Tories to Lib Dems in Hartlepool would have been. ie A 2% swing in a close Tory vs Lib Dem seat + a 0% swing in Hartlepool would still average out to 1% between them but could cost the Tories a seat.

2 minutes ago, Dunge said:

In general, probably so. The issue for the Tories might be where it happens though. If it’s focussed in seats where the Tories are fighting the Lib Dems, as it probably is, then that matters to them a lot more than the same swing from Tories to Lib Dems in Hartlepool would have been. ie A 2% swing in a close Tory vs Lib Dem seat + a 0% swing in Hartlepool would still average out to 1% between them but could cost the Tories a seat.

Yep, agreed, though always been the same in marginal seats I guess.

Depends whether Labour and the LDs (or even Greens) have the hunger to work together to get the Tories out.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Must have been a typo cos I meant to type ‘bit closer’. Yes in one of the polls, LDs have bitten into both but as we know polls don’t translate to how constituents work.

Press in the past couple of days has been that senior Tories are raising concerns at how the Lib Dem’s are beginning to perform well in the southern counties in the local elections.

Equally I can’t see the debates of the moment really affecting the ‘Red Wall’ returning back to Labour quite so easy 

• Like 1