Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

On 21/07/2021 at 14:24, leicsmac said:

...and yet the man was the toast of the town among the same people who would say this now when he masterminded the Vote Leave campaign.

We didn’t have a clue who he was until the left made him a pantomime villain.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I see the following has gone under the radar 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57933129

Police basically saying they have no confidence in the Home Secretary 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57914664

5 Tory MPs trying to influence a court case 

First story is harsh, Priti Patel has been one of the very best Conservative Home Secretaries for saying how tough on crime they're going to be, which given the extent to which law enforcement and the courts have been crippled by underfunding over the past decade, seems to be the main crime prevention tool at her disposal. Not sure why certain folk get so upset about some BLM organisations wanting to defund the police when the government are already doing it for them.

As for the second story, I for one am sick to the back teeth of bloody 'activist judges' putting sex offenders behind bars, and if I could inappropriately attempt to use my influence to try and let them off, I'd be all over it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Something or other bounce

Dear  Geoff, 

Now that clubs are back open I wanted to know if you intersperse your DJ sets with announcements of the latest political polls. That would be a batshit crazy gig. If so, I’m in. 

Best wishes, 

Mike 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Dear  Geoff, 

Now that clubs are back open I wanted to know if you intersperse your DJ sets with announcements of the latest political polls. That would be a batshit crazy gig. If so, I’m in. 

Best wishes, 

Mike 

Could well be an improvement……..😉

8 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Dear  Geoff, 

Best wishes, 

Mike 

geldof.png

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

First story is harsh, Priti Patel has been one of the very best Conservative Home Secretaries for saying how tough on crime they're going to be, which given the extent to which law enforcement and the courts have been crippled by underfunding over the past decade, seems to be the main crime prevention tool at her disposal. Not sure why certain folk get so upset about some BLM organisations wanting to defund the police when the government are already doing it for them.

As for the second story, I for one am sick to the back teeth of bloody 'activist judges' putting sex offenders behind bars, and if I could inappropriately attempt to use my influence to try and let them off, I'd be all over it

Honestly, Priti has to be up there as one of the worst home secretaries in living memory. I can't remember a more re-pungent, divisive, horrible human being in such a senior role. You've got the bullying saga, the taking the knee mess, the terrible handling of events around the Sarah Everard case to name a few. Some of the idea's she floats around (eg. building a concentration camp for migrants in Rwanda) are inhumane and most likely illegal. Then even the stuff she claims she's going to be tough on, she can't seemingly think of a solution for them, just look at the migrant situation in Kent for example. Added to that she just seems like a truly disgusting human being. 

The main crime tool at any governments disposal is to ensure that those most disadvantaged in society have opportunity and basic living standards. The tories are failing at that. Blair's famous tough on crime, tougher on the causes of crime comes to mind and is such an effective political slogan. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

...at which point folks got to know his role and he became the toast of the town.

Broadly, I really don’t think this is true. Looking at the infamous Channel 4 show with Benedict Cumberbatch, it seems there was a certain intellectual school of thought - far more on the Remain side from what I saw - that he was this sort of half-mad genius strategist and master of the dark arts. To me, he was and remains just a high-up member of a bad campaign that beat an even worse one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

If you say so….

19 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Broadly, I really don’t think this is true. Looking at the infamous Channel 4 show with Benedict Cumberbatch, it seems there was a certain intellectual school of thought - far more on the Remain side from what I saw - that he was this sort of half-mad genius strategist and master of the dark arts. To me, he was and remains just a high-up member of a bad campaign that beat an even worse one.

Fair to say.

I'm just calling out those who would stick the boot into him now when he was a reasonably integral part of delivering exactly what they wanted five years ago.

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Local Politics News Klaxon

Anyone with knowledge of the area know what caused this?

Yes people being turn off from labour nowadays. I tried to say it in the other thread about labour losing the working class but the labour middle class supporters weren’t having  it. This will happen a lot more, Labour don’t represent the poor working class folk anymore. Labour need another Blair like leader. 

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Man is regretting voting Brexit because he no longer can exploit European migrants with his poverty wages. 

As a 2016 Remain voter… is the fact there’s less continental workers willing to work for the bare minimum meaning they might actually have to pay workers a living wage actually THAT much of a Brexit own? 

The logistical problems I get… but I feel they’re focusing too much on what a lot of people may consider a benefit.

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

As a 2016 Remain voter… is the fact there’s less continental workers willing to work for the bare minimum meaning they might actually have to pay workers a living wage actually THAT much of a Brexit own? 

The logistical problems I get… but I feel they’re focusing too much on what a lot of people may consider a benefit.

Generally I agree with this and I think that 'we need Eastern Europeans to do shit jobs' was the worst argument in favour of remain ever. 

We'll see though how much of a benefit some bar staff getting paid more is when compared to the effects of hard Brexit on trade, the economy and the rights of British workers. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bovril said:

Generally I agree with this and I think that 'we need Eastern Europeans to do shit jobs' was the worst argument in favour of remain ever. 

We'll see though how much of a benefit some bar staff getting paid more is when compared to the effects of hard Brexit on trade, the economy and the rights of British workers. 

Of course, I agree. The double whammy of logistical issues and rising staff costs are going to be a very hard squeeze on many businesses. To expand my point properly, rather than saying “Haha, aren’t you sorry you can’t slave wage Continentals anymore? Should have voted Remain!”, we should be saying that higher employee wages could have been done without the damaging course the government have set Brexit on, and this could have been achieved without giving already struggling businesses a double whammy of costs amongst the other myriad of issues we’re seeing. That’s a non-confrontational, pro-worker and just as importantly pro-small business argument, and it gets the point across without dragging up the intelligence of Brexit voters, which more or less always devolves into a mix of unwinnable culture war battles or classism. 

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

Yes people being turn off from labour nowadays. I tried to say it in the other thread about labour losing the working class but the labour middle class supporters weren’t having  it. This will happen a lot more, Labour don’t represent the poor working class folk anymore. Labour need another Blair like leader. 

And the Tories - historically run by millionaires for millionaires - do? Why don’t Labour ‘represent the poor working class folk’, their policies in the past two elections were precisely designed to help those people. I find it strange that people think the Tories (who throughout history have opposed literally every major ameliorative legislative change for the working class, from voting rights and social/racial liberalisation to the minimum wage and the NHS and beyond) represent the working class better than Labour, because Rupert Murdoch, Lord Rothermere or the Barclay brothers have conditioned them to believe it. It wasn’t too long ago that the Tories with their ranks full of millionaire landlords voted against a motion to ensure that all rented housing in the country was “fit for human habitation” ffs. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-vote-down-law-requiring-landlords-make-their-homes-fit-human-habitation-a6809691.html%3famp

Edited by What the Fuchs?
  • Like 2