Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

On 24/07/2021 at 15:23, Carl the Llama said:

Are you not aware that Cummings chaired the Vote Leave campaign aka the crew behind the £350m bus and the signs all over the country warning of the impending Turkish invasion?  Incidentally both things he admitted to being deliberate distortions to muddy the debate in the Kuenssberg interview.

What he actually said was they were deliberate provocations to make the remain campaign focus on correcting them instead of making their own case.  Which probably worked.  They had just enough truth in them to get by, but instead of ignoring them the remain campaign kept banging on about it until people stopped listening.

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What he actually said was they were deliberate provocations to make the remain campaign focus on correcting them instead of making their own case.  Which probably worked.  They had just enough truth in them to get by, but instead of ignoring them the remain campaign kept banging on about it until people stopped listening.

Yes, deliberate distortions to muddy the debate.  And did they bang on until people stopped listening, or did these things need saying again and again because people weren't listening, because they were being told not to, to be defiant and grasp that freedom to make horrible decisions all to own one's perceived political enemies.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

The remain campaign got sucked into making ridiculous scare stories, I changed my mind and voted leave due to rubbish they kept spouting

This is the kind of thing I mean when I talk about both campaigns being bad. Some of the things that the leave campaign(s) came out with were an embarrassment as a Leave voter - the bus motto was deliberately misleading and that poster of the line of Eastern European migrants supposedly on their way to Britain was horrible politics. It is saddening when we’re all described as a bunch of racists but in the context of that poster it’s not like I don’t understand it.

I don’t think Cummings can claim some great dark arts success though. The Remain campaign succeeded in screwing itself over repeatedly with non-answers to questions. Plus, in what was surely the most important country-wide debate (Question Time 1-on-1 on the BBC), the champion they chose to go up against the juggernaut that is Nigel Farage was Nick Clegg. Nick fricking Clegg. Pretty much the debating equivalent of the word “moist” at the time. Nobody on the Leave side can claim any credit for that.

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

This is the kind of thing I mean when I talk about both campaigns being bad. Some of the things that the leave campaign(s) came out with were an embarrassment as a Leave voter - the bus motto was deliberately misleading and that poster of the line of Eastern European migrants supposedly on their way to Britain was horrible politics. It is saddening when we’re all described as a bunch of racists but in the context of that poster it’s not like I don’t understand it.

I don’t think Cummings can claim some great dark arts success though. The Remain campaign succeeded in screwing itself over repeatedly with non-answers to questions. Plus, in what was surely the most important country-wide debate (Question Time 1-on-1 on the BBC), the champion they chose to go up against the juggernaut that is Nigel Farage was Nick Clegg. Nick fricking Clegg. Pretty much the debating equivalent of the word “moist” at the time. Nobody on the Leave side can claim any credit for that.

Farage wasn't an official part of Vote Leave. He was a splinter group, Vote Leave and Cummings sent him nowhere and that Eastern European poster was nothing to do with Cummings or Vote Leave. That was another issue with Leave. They not only had the main Leave campaign of Vote Leave, they had people on outside like Farage being invited on numerous shows saying whatever he wanted.

3 hours ago, Claridge said:

The remain campaign got sucked into making ridiculous scare stories, I changed my mind and voted leave due to rubbish they kept spouting

I voted Leave but this is one of the most ridiculous things i've read on this website ever. Blimey.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Farage wasn't an official part of Vote Leave. He was a splinter group, Vote Leave and Cummings sent him nowhere and that Eastern European poster was nothing to do with Cummings or Vote Leave. That was another issue with Leave. They not only had the main Leave campaign of Vote Leave, they had people on outside like Farage being invited on numerous shows saying whatever he wanted.

No but they did have these hanging over a bunch of motorways:

3002.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

A total affront to democracy.

Btw note how in the interview Cummings said "we said they were in the process of joining the EU", nah, the evidence is right there.  Lies on top of lies on top of lies all to win a competition regardless of what it actually implied for the country.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

No but they did have these hanging over a bunch of motorways:

3002.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

A total affront to democracy.

Btw note how in the interview Cummings said "we said they were in the process of joining the EU", nah, the evidence is right there.  Lies on top of lies on top of lies all to win a competition regardless of what it actually implied for the country.

Oh I know Vote Leave had plenty of lies like this. Just good to remember they didn't box clever by sending Farage out to fight their corner, Farage was being invited on shows as a prominent leave support, he wasn't part of the official campaign. So for the example given, it might not be the case the official Remain campaign put Clegg forward, he may have been invited on separately.

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Oh I know Vote Leave had plenty of lies like this. Just good to remember they didn't box clever by sending Farage out to fight their corner, Farage was being invited on shows as a prominent leave support, he wasn't part of the official campaign. So for the example given, it might not be the case the official Remain campaign put Clegg forward, he may have been invited on separately.

Fair point. I wonder whether the Remain campaign had any objections to it. Maybe if they did they thought it better not to say and present a united front.

On a different topic, Johnson's new crime bill is one of the most embarrassing things I've read. It's designed purely to pander to people who can't think critically, is based on zero evidence and is all about polling. It will not solve any problems in society short or long term. Embarrassing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

On a different topic, Johnson's new crime bill is one of the most embarrassing things I've read. It's designed purely to pander to people who can't think critically, is based on zero evidence and is all about polling. It will not solve any problems in society short or long term. Embarrassing. 

"Weird and gimmicky"

Police chiefs agree.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/27/police-chiefs-condemn-boris-johnsons-plan-as-weird-and-gimmicky

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Turns out BOTH Corbyn brothers can be bought!

say what you want about jeremy but hes not his brother. if thats the case then we should judge mr boris by his lovely father whos a great man