Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

Some local politics news:

For a bit of background, it would appear that Paul was elected for the fist time having initially stood in the 1970s.

I'm also assuming it's the same Paul Browne who used to be senior partner at a firm I worked at, but prior to me joining. Being a senior partner in Oakham naturally lead him to be quite the eccentric posh sort, and I always remember hearing about his first ever trip to a 'Spoons in his 60s. He only nipped there for one drink for somebody's leaving drinks and ended up being rolled into his wife's car in the early hours after being blown away by the prices. 

Edited by David Guiza

Health Secretary Sajid Javid defending his Cabinet colleague, Dominic Raab: “one of the most professional and most effective ministers I’ve ever worked with”.

In fairness he is probably reflecting correctly.  The great Offices of State run by the most incompetent bunch of politicians in my lifetime.  I can not believe I voted for them - not next time, no way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Imagine being the least bit upset over someone's appointment to a role that matters very little and they don't get paid for. Jesus. 

Who's upset? Clearly you have to look the other way but others are perfectly entitled to comment on it.

There is an extent to which sending Ian Botham to be a trade envoy to Australia feels like sending Jeremy Clarkson as your representative to a conference on how not to punch producers in the face. However, I suspect half the battle with a trade envoy will be getting your foot in the door. And Ian Botham sounds like a good candidate to be able to achieve that, even if the actual business talk is done by others. Horses for courses and all that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Who's upset? Clearly you have to look the other way but others are perfectly entitled to comment on it.

Didn't say anyone was upset. I said imagine being the least bit upset. 

Of course others are entitled to an opinion, we all are, and my opinion is getting upset over this nothing of an appointment is some weird shit. And luckily I'm perfectly entitled to comment that. 

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Didn't say anyone was upset. I said imagine being the least bit upset. 

Of course others are entitled to an opinion, we all are, and my opinion is getting upset over this nothing of an appointment is some weird shit. And luckily I'm perfectly entitled to comment that. 

Right - so you weren't seeking to imply that people pointing out the flaws in the appointment were 'upset' about it. Ok then.

12 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Right - so you weren't seeking to imply that people pointing out the flaws in the appointment were 'upset' about it. Ok then.

Of course I'm implying people that are upset about it are upset about it. But I specifically didn't quote anyone because whilst I'm 100% sure there are people out there slightly upset about it, I'm not going to directly accuse people of being so am I? So I made a general comment. Who the hell am I to tell people how they are feeling. lol

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Can’t think of anyone better for the job tbh.

Good old beefy.

Post-Brexit surge in British beef exports incoming, as we all expected....

Digressing momentarily, it's a bit of a shocker to read that he's still only 65, when I'm now in my 60th year.

I remember getting his autograph after a Kent v. Somerset match when I was still a spotty schoolboy and he was already an England international....he must've only been about 21

He patiently ignored his wife who was nagging him to come away and stop giving autographs (though she's probably had a lot to put up with over the years).

Among others, I got the autographs of Viv Richards (there was a man with presence), Joel Garner (I came up to his navel), Bob Woolmer (died under shadowy circumstances) & Peter Roebuck (subsequently jumped out of a hotel window after being accused of thrashing young men). But as for "Deadly" Derek Underwood telling me off for leaning on his nice, shiny car.....I've never forgiven that cnut!

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Seems a bit odd to put someone fairly controversial in a trade envoy role, is there no inoffensive half-celeb to roll out and smile quaintly for photo ops? 

Well if you are a good looking lass, he will happily show his nob to ya