Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

54 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Couldn't just tax the millionaires and billionaires at a higher rate to solve the problem, how would they line politicians' pockets if that money's going into the public purse?

Why bother doing that when you could take money from the most vulnerable

• Like 2

The thing that pisses me off most about this tax rise, is that the reason social care is in such a state, is because it's funded by local councils. 

In England, the government has done everything it can to ensure councils don't put council tax up. This has resulted in councils across the country being so skint that social care has taken a hammering. 

They've created the problem, and are now increasing something else to cover the mess they created. 

NI is the last thing that they should be increasing imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Kopfkino
16 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

It would stop an NI/tax increase and still raise the money needed.

But it wouldn’t. This tax rise is raising 12bn a year, duty on alcohol raised 12.1bn last year. Duty on cannabis would do well to raise 20% of this tax rise.

24 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm in Northamptonshire. Because they refused to raise council tax for so many years, the council is now effectively bankrupt.

Controversial opinion to raise money in the coffers and not raise taxes....

Legalise and regulate cannabis. 

I'm not a user, doesn't interest me, but it's used. A lot. It always will be used, so forget the health effects. It's illegal right now, that doesn't stop people.

Why not tap in to that and take the profit?

Or am I looking at it too simply?

I agree cannabis should be legalised and it’d be better regulated and provide some tax revenue, but if they do it should only be allowed in private residences IMO - the stuff smells like actual dog 💩 to me (no offence to any users 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

But it wouldn’t. This tax rise is raising 12bn a year, duty on alcohol raised 12.1bn last year. Duty on cannabis would do well to raise 20% of this tax rise.

Fair enough. That's why I asked if I was looking at it too simply.

A quick Google has just told me that legalising cannabis could raise around £3 billion a year.

I'm sounding like a big drug advocate, which I'm completely not, but that amount of money is still pretty substantial. 

Especially considering future generations are going to somehow have to cover the costs of the last 18 months we've had.

1 minute ago, What the Fuchs? said:

I agree cannabis should be legalised and it’d be better regulated and provide some tax revenue, but if they do it should only be allowed in private residences IMO - the stuff smells like actual dog 💩 to me (no offence to any users 😂)

Totally agree on this.

But if I'm walking down the street and smell it now, I might as well walk down the street, still smell it, but know 30% of what they've paid for it is going to help keep my taxes down lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'm in Northamptonshire. Because they refused to raise council tax for so many years, the council is now effectively bankrupt.

Controversial opinion to raise money in the coffers and not raise taxes....

Legalise and regulate cannabis. 

I'm not a user, doesn't interest me, but it's used. A lot. It always will be used, so forget the health effects. It's illegal right now, that doesn't stop people.

Why not tap in to that and take the profit?

Or am I looking at it too simply?

Yes, you are.

There would be two major obstacles to this working:

1) There would undoubtedly be a limit on strength; who is going to buy it legally at 4% thc content when your 'man' is still selling it at 17%? Tokers smoke to get high, just like drinkers drink to get pissed; would you be happier with a shandy or a single malt?

2) If taxing it makes it more expensive than buying from your 'man'. Simple economics.

The only way it works is with complete deregulation and sensible taxation, but we'd just end up with another Tory fudge of expensive but low-quality weed.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Buce said:

The UK breaking International law once again:

Channel crossings: Priti Patel authorises turning back of migrant boats

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58495948

What an immoral shower of shit this government is.

Congratulations England... you have learnt two things from Aust politics.. cruelty and stupidity.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

They have badged this up cleverly as well.  "A 1.25% raise in NI" actuallyeams 1.25 percentage points.  It's a 10% rise in NI in real terms. 

Now, I don't really mind it.... I'm all for doing more to support elderly care... But labour got ripped to shreds for suggesting a tax rise to support the NHS at the last election....now look!

9 hours ago, RobHawk said:

The thing that pisses me off most about this tax rise, is that the reason social care is in such a state, is because it's funded by local councils. 

In England, the government has done everything it can to ensure councils don't put council tax up. This has resulted in councils across the country being so skint that social care has taken a hammering. 

They've created the problem, and are now increasing something else to cover the mess they created. 

NI is the last thing that they should be increasing imo. 

Someone tell Oadby and Wigston who've put mine up about £500 a month over the last 10 years. Not forgetting the extras such as paying for your garden bins and now paying for parking. So more like £600. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Now, I don't really mind it.... I'm all for doing more to support elderly care... But labour got ripped to shreds for suggesting a tax rise to support the NHS at the last election....now look!

It doesn't even solve the problem, it pays for CARE and not accommodation and everything that comes with that, eg food. Which is still at least £1000 a month you need to find, on top of the original £86,000 you need to pay. 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It is rather hilarious seeing those that were huge advocates of lockdown and furlough now complaining about tax rises lol

Not aimed at anyone inparticular, just people in general all over my social media and in real life.

Personally think the funny bit is everyone seems to be in support of tax rises until taxes actually rise. 

With that said this seems a shite one to rise and the fact that the majority of the money is just going to be thrown into the NHS blackhole so people will struggle to see what the billions are actually paying for isn't good. 

Never going to be a better time for labour to take the offensive and set out a better vision. A tory party raising taxes and ignoring parts of the triple lock for pensions, on top of the current brexit/covid transition problems is the perfect storm for Labour to make up ground. 

Interesting times ahead I guess. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buce said:

The UK breaking International law once again:

Channel crossings: Priti Patel authorises turning back of migrant boats

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58495948

What an immoral shower of shit this government is.

Unfortunately they often just act on the feelings of the voters that put them into power.  So it's even sadder.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Yes, you are.

There would be two major obstacles to this working:

1) There would undoubtedly be a limit on strength; who is going to buy it legally at 4% thc content when your 'man' is still selling it at 17%? Tokers smoke to get high, just like drinkers drink to get pissed; would you be happier with a shandy or a single malt?

2) If taxing it makes it more expensive than buying from your 'man'. Simple economics.

The only way it works is with complete deregulation and sensible taxation, but we'd just end up with another Tory fudge of expensive but low-quality weed.

It's worked in other countries though

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Personally think the funny bit is everyone seems to be in support of tax rises until taxes actually rise. 

With that said this seems a shite one to rise and the fact that the majority of the money is just going to be thrown into the NHS blackhole so people will struggle to see what the billions are actually paying for isn't good. 

Never going to be a better time for labour to take the offensive and set out a better vision. A tory party raising taxes and ignoring parts of the triple lock for pensions, on top of the current brexit/covid transition problems is the perfect storm for Labour to make up ground. 

Interesting times ahead I guess. 

This is one of those myths the thing that annoys me most.  The NHS is a comparably a very efficient national healthcare system but now well end up with loads of reports of middle management wasting endless amounts of money.  Our healthcare is unfunded and has been for years so raising taxes has seemed inevitable for years.

I cannot see Labour really cutting through with this though.  I agree with them that more should come from the rich and raising NI is going to disproportionately affect those on lower or middle incomes but I just don't think that will cut through when they would do the same thing but fairer.  People will just put this down to the pandemic when really it seems to me the Tories are using it as a way to get away with raising taxes without being seen as going back on their promises.

Edited by foxes1988

39 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

This is one of those myths the thing that annoys me most.  The NHS is a comparably a very efficient national healthcare system but now well end up with loads of reports of middle management wasting endless amounts of money.  Our healthcare is unfunded and has been for years so raising taxes has seemed inevitable for years.

I cannot see Labour really cutting through with this though.  I agree with them that more should come from the rich and raising NI is going to disproportionately affect those on lower or middle incomes but I just don't think that will cut through when they would do the same thing but fairer.  People will just put this down to the pandemic when really it seems to me the Tories are using it as a way to get away with raising taxes without being seen as going back on their promises.

Not a myth when it's true. Hell, NHS higher ups admit money is wasted. Both tories and Labour have done reviews showing billions wasted. And being efficient compared to other health services is no excuse at all. At work I'm expected to work as efficiently as possible, the NHS doesn't get a free pass to waste taxpayer money just because it's a large organisation, someone in the chain makes a decision that wastes money and should be held to account. 

How you can correctly fund something that doesn't run at peak efficiency is beyond me.