Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Any tories on here willing to state why they still have faith in the current party leadership (there will be a lot of you because 40% of the country would still vote for them)?

I'm not sure how people can look around them at what's going on and think, yeah I'd love some more of that.

Pray tell us what is the alternative?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Any tories on here willing to state why they still have faith in the current party leadership (there will be a lot of you because 40% of the country would still vote for them)?

I'm not sure how people can look around them at what's going on and think, yeah I'd love some more of that.

People believe Bojo's lies.  He's a bare faced liar.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Absolutely ****ing anyone.

Absolutely anyone who isn't sticking with this austerity shit after 13 years and after all the damage its still doing and actually wants to increase public Spending, even by a tiny bit is a better alternative.

Absolutely anyone who actually stops stubbornly digging their heels in for months on just letting some people in to drive trucks for a bit when the lack.of drivers clearly crippling the entire economy - even when this this the exact thing Brexiteers wanted isn't it? Having control of our immigration and deciding which jobs we needed people to come in and do and which ones we didn't?

Absolutely anyone who wouldn't just pull the plaster off being in the biggest trade block in the world, by getting a deal and giving the country about 8 days to plan how to become self-sufficient rather than having a gradual transition period over years to actually have to time to be able to plan how complex and time-consuming in training British workers and industry to transition and replace the EU ones that process will obviously be.

Absolutely baffling that people are still saying "there's no alternative" while we are well on our way to returning to the days of being the economic sick man of Europe. Even if its a slight step away from this madness, it's a clear alternative.

I don't even think the "the opposition are worse" people even believe it deep down at this point, seeing what a mess this country is in. They're just trying to reason to themselves that they weren't wrong in their own heads.

Ah but you forget, "this isn't the Brexit I voted for".  Always a get-out clause from the supporters of the party of self-responsibility

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ah but you forget, "this isn't the Brexit I voted for".  Always a get-out clause from the supporters of the party of self-responsibility

These people are the sole reason allergy advice: may contain nuts has to be printed on a jar of peanut butter.

• Haha 1

On 23/09/2021 at 16:20, Milo said:

hat's interesting.

Why are the jobs not being replaced? I assume it's because of pay/conditions?

What is the industry doing to attract younger workers?

This is an article from 5 years ago; exactly the same issues:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/02/industrial-failure-uk-lorry-trade-truck-driver-squalor-low-pay-no-unions

A 2016 parliamentary report had reported 45,000 shortage of lorry drivers, about the same figure from a Department of Transport report a decade previously.

Has there ever been a problem so long in the making?

7 hours ago, Buce said:

These people are the sole reason allergy advice: may contain nuts has to be printed on a jar of peanut butter.

Technically, compliance with EU allergy regs would be the sole reason. 

Ironically.

:thumbup:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I had a peanut stuck up my bum once. I ate loads of chocolate and it came out a treet.

I once entered a Marathon and then spent ages picking the peanuts out of my foreskin 

(for the young uns, Snickers used to be Marathons)

23 hours ago, Lionator said:

I’m not sure I would vote for them as things stand but I’m struggling to find alternatives of who I’d vote for instead.

No idea still what the Labour Party’s position on anything is.

The Liberals and greens will reverse brexit, so that’s a no.

So, there aren’t a lot of places to go currently. 
I’d like to think I’d abstain but when it comes to the crunch, I’ll probably vote for them again because I don’t want any of the alternatives more.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’m not sure I would vote for them as things stand but I’m struggling to find alternatives of who I’d vote for instead.

I’d like to think I’d abstain but when it comes to the crunch, I’ll probably vote for them again because I don’t want any of the alternatives more.

Lib Dems aren't going to reverse Brexit. We're stuck with it. The utopia is here to stay.

If Brexit is the reason for people shortages and salary growth is that really a bad thing?  Average house prices are now around 8 or 10 times average earnings. There has been zero salary growth since 2008. 

Something has to change.  

If Brexit causes us to grow and make more of our own, is that a bad thing?

There are absolute downsides to Brexit for sure, and change take time as well.  But I'm sure that eventually, all of this chaos and shortages etc will settle down. They won't become "the norm". 

I'm also not sure all of it is entirely down to Brexit.  Covid has absolutely made people take stock of what is important to them.  There is a shift happening in society around working conditions and we are seeing this play out currently.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I agree that there's been a Labour policy vacuum until recently, but that seems to be changing around the conference.

2 interesting ones from Starmer's interview with Marr this morning:

- He contested Rachel Reeves' idea of a Labour commitment not to raise income tax & implied it would be considered along with wealth & property taxes as an alternative to more regressive Tory rises in National Insurance (though he wouldn't commit to repealing the Tory N.I. increase). Might be a vote loser, but the right decision, in my view, as massive debt + aging population + major needs (NHS catch-up, social care, housing, vocational training) means some taxes will have to rise unless you want even more austerity, logistics crises & piss-poor public services & social standards.

- He reversed Corbyn's commitment to nationalise all the utilities firms, not ruling out public ownership where beneficial - but only where beneficial, not as an ideological commitment

Other policy announcements in recent days on employment rights and housing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58681313

"Plans include bringing workers and employers together to negotiate pay and conditions in every sector. Labour says it would also increase statutory sick pay, as well as bring in the right to flexible working for all".

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/news/labour-pledges-to-reform-affordable-rent-to-match-30-of-incomes-72657

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/23/labour-to-give-first-time-buyers-exclusive-access-to-new-properties

"Labour plans to slash affordable rents and give first-time buyers exclusive rights to purchase new-build homes for six months, it will announce this weekend, as it bids to steal the Conservatives’ claim to be “the party of homeownership”. Lucy Powell, shadow housing secretary, will say a government led by Keir Starmer will restrict to 50% the number of properties in a development that can be sold to overseas buyers, which in some city locations has created "ghost towers" as investors leave homes empty. Labour also wants to give councils powers to force landowners to sell vacant sites to build new housing at lower prices than the compulsory purchase system currently allows".

On Brexit, you might get some rhetoric from the Lib Dems (Greens will be more focused on climate change, surely) but I can't imagine any party will seriously try to reverse Brexit any time soon. It's almost a forbidden word for Labour. As a Remainer, I approve of Starmer focusing instead on rubbish Tory planning for adaptations to Brexit. Other parties might seek a closer trade relationship & regulatory alignment with the EU, but I reckon reversing Brexit is off the agenda for 10+ years as it would be so controversial - and not only with pro-Brexit voters. Many Remainers (myself included) wouldn't want to return to such strife and politically, if not legally, it would require another referendum. At best, LDs would be minor partners in a coalition, anyway.

• Like 1

I believe Davey has said that Lib Dem’s would not be looking to reverse brexit this term if elected. I’m sure they would look to get back into the EU in some shape or form at some point, but they know they need to take Tory votes and going back in wouldn’t do that.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

On Brexit, you might get some rhetoric from the Lib Dems (Greens will be more focused on climate change, surely) but I can't imagine any party will seriously try to reverse Brexit any time soon. It's almost a forbidden word for Labour. As a Remainer, I approve of Starmer focusing instead on rubbish Tory planning for adaptations to Brexit. Other parties might seek a closer trade relationship & regulatory alignment with the EU, but I reckon reversing Brexit is off the agenda for 10+ years as it would be so controversial - and not only with pro-Brexit voters. Many Remainers (myself included) wouldn't want to return to such strife and politically, if not legally, it would require another referendum. At best, LDs would be minor partners in a coalition, anyway.

Rhetoric or not, I’m not going to vote for something that implies I’m pro something that I’m fundamentally against. 

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I agree that there's been a Labour policy vacuum until recently, but that seems to be changing around the conference.

2 interesting ones from Starmer's interview with Marr this morning:

- He contested Rachel Reeves' idea of a Labour commitment not to raise income tax & implied it would be considered along with wealth & property taxes as an alternative to more regressive Tory rises in National Insurance (though he wouldn't commit to repealing the Tory N.I. increase). Might be a vote loser, but the right decision, in my view, as massive debt + aging population + major needs (NHS catch-up, social care, housing, vocational training) means some taxes will have to rise unless you want even more austerity, logistics crises & piss-poor public services & social standards.

- He reversed Corbyn's commitment to nationalise all the utilities firms, not ruling out public ownership where beneficial - but only where beneficial, not as an ideological commitment

Other policy announcements in recent days on employment rights and housing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58681313

"Plans include bringing workers and employers together to negotiate pay and conditions in every sector. Labour says it would also increase statutory sick pay, as well as bring in the right to flexible working for all".

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/news/labour-pledges-to-reform-affordable-rent-to-match-30-of-incomes-72657

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/23/labour-to-give-first-time-buyers-exclusive-access-to-new-properties

"Labour plans to slash affordable rents and give first-time buyers exclusive rights to purchase new-build homes for six months, it will announce this weekend, as it bids to steal the Conservatives’ claim to be “the party of homeownership”. Lucy Powell, shadow housing secretary, will say a government led by Keir Starmer will restrict to 50% the number of properties in a development that can be sold to overseas buyers, which in some city locations has created "ghost towers" as investors leave homes empty. Labour also wants to give councils powers to force landowners to sell vacant sites to build new housing at lower prices than the compulsory purchase system currently allows".

It’s still very wishy washy at this point but I do think he is showing some promising moves.

Its pointless him showing his hand too early I get that but also I’m answering the question based on current knowledge.

• Thanks 1