Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

Keith Vaz wants to come back in Leicester East apparently 😂

It has been reported that if Labour refuse to choose him or his daughter as the candidate (in the event that Webbe quits, which she says she won't), then Vaz has decided to stand as an independent. This would split the vote and ensure Labour lose the seat.

Edited by ClaphamFox

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It has been reported that if Labour refuse to choose him or his daughter as the candidate (in the event that Webbe quits, which she says she won't), then Vaz has decided to stand as an independent. This would split the vote and ensure Labour lose the seat.

Do you think so?

Surely webbe will get v few votes 

surely vaz (with all his baggage) will get v few votes

surely vaz’s daughter would be seen by the electorate as a nobody ?

Can’t see any split being sufficient to take the seat away from the official labour candidate 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Do you think so?

Surely webbe will get v few votes 

surely vaz (with all his baggage) will get v few votes

surely vaz’s daughter would be seen by the electorate as a nobody ?

Can’t see any split being sufficient to take the seat away from the official labour candidate 

Well Webbe won't be standing if she quits. The suggestion is that Vaz's daughter could be the official Labour candidate instead of Vaz - I don't think anybody is expecting her to stand as an independent. 

Vaz himself might, though. And he remains hugely popular in Leicester East - they voted him into office eight times and would have done so again at the last election had he not effectively been forced to stand down. There were stories of Vaz's sleaze going around for years and the folk of Leicester East never batted an eyelid. It would absolutely split the vote if he stood as an indepenent.

3 hours ago, Buce said:

They withdrew the whip and she's sitting as an independent; what more can Starmer do?

I suppose Labour could expel her from the party - and may do so, now she's been convicted. They should do, I think. She says she's going to appeal but, based only on media reports, it doesn't sound like she has much of a case.

Labour can't stop her continuing as an independent MP, as she was elected by local voters, though I think they supported the recall petition against Fiona Onasanya, the ex-Peterborough MP who was jailed for 3 months for perverting the course of justice.

I didn't realise that imprisonment didn't preclude someone continuing as an MP, unless sentenced to over 12 months. If Webbe is jailed (sentencing on 4th Nov), I'm guessing she'd get less than that, if she is sent to prison?

Not sure what I think of that. I suppose it's fair enough, as in theory someone might be an excellent MP with voters who want them to continue despite getting a short sentence for a comparatively minor crime - and the recall petition option is there now.

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

I honestly don't recognise this country any more.

It's always been very violent no? I felt like there was less of an undercurrent of violence in other countries I've lived in than in the UK.