Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

A year and a half into a pandemic HE personally made worse and the Prime Minister still hasn't worked out the mask also goes over his ****ing nose.

Tbf his nose has a habit of growing when he speaks.

• Like 1

Damn.

If only someone had said something earlier...

Brexit worse for the UK economy than Covid pandemic, OBR says

Fiscal watchdog says Brexit would cut GDP by around 4% long term, while Covid impacts would hit output by a further 2%

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/28/brexit-worse-for-the-uk-economy-than-covid-pandemic-obr-says

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I read an article earlier that stated that IF average earnings had followed historic trends, then salaries since the 2008 financial crisis would have been 40% higher than they are today. 

It's no wonder that there is a "cost of living" crisis.  House prices and living costs have continued to rise and salaries have stagnated to a chronic degree. 

i genuinely don't know how people on lower than average earnings cope. 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59062696
Wow the Tories under De Pfeffel Johnson really embracing the Trumpian post truth era - Sunak: “making internal flights cheaper will actually help the environment.” 🤦‍♂️ It’s like the majority of the English public like being lied to

Edited by What the Fuchs?
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Wow the Tories under De Pfeffel Johnson really embracing the Trumpian post truth era - Sunak: “making internal flights cheaper will actually help the environment.” 🤦‍♂️ It’s like the majority of the English public like being lied to

"Doesn't matter, won election, stop crying" probably

5 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

yes those domestic flights are sure going to destroy the environment

7 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Wonder how many times there are more car journey's? Ive never made a domestic flight but must have done many thousands of single car trips

Yes, and that's why petrol-powered car journeys need to drastically reduce as well.

9 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

I read an article earlier that stated that IF average earnings had followed historic trends, then salaries since the 2008 financial crisis would have been 40% higher than they are today. 

It's no wonder that there is a "cost of living" crisis.  House prices and living costs have continued to rise and salaries have stagnated to a chronic degree. 

i genuinely don't know how people on lower than average earnings cope. 

I was told that wages and prices more or less doubled every couple of decades or so.You are absolutely correct about the state of things.The theme has gone like this.1 Get Mum to work part time 2 Dad to work more hours 3 Use credit you can’t afford 4 import cheap Labour 5 Get Mum to work full time 6 Get Dad to take an additional job,and so on.Work harder and longer for less.I don’t know how much more they can push it tbh.
Now we face the prospect of worldwide inflation and interest rate hikes for the first time in a generation.

4 hours ago, Claridge said:

Wonder how many times there are more car journey's? Ive never made a domestic flight but must have done many thousands of single car trips

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Yes, and that's why petrol-powered car journeys need to drastically reduce as well.

....or we can engage in tech solutions that make such transport emit much less CO2 overall. To say nothing of doing the same for energy generation which is the single biggest issue on this matter here.

From what I can tell it's perfectly possible to continue the same quality of life the folks in the OECD enjoy now while reducing carbon emissions to a degree that it won't hurt us terribly. It just takes investment, political will and long term thinkin-

Shit, never mind then.

• Haha 1

Only domestic flights I've ever taken in the UK are flying to Belfast and back. And if they ever build that bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland that's been mooted in recent years, I'd definitely take the car or train instead, as I much prefer train and car travel to plane travel.

Having said that, I do understand people who live Scotland and the South of England who want to go back and see family. It's not practical to spend an entire day going by train or car with the state of the trains right now and how much you'd have to change. It's easy to say "why would anyone take a domestic flight" if your family all live with a 2 or 3 hour train or car journey of you and all on the island of Great Britain.

I agree that we should tax domestic flights on the island of Great Britain and make train travel cheaper, but we should definitely make an exception for flights between Great Britain and Northern Ireland (and flights to Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and Isle of Man too - I'm not sure if they are included in these figures as flying within the CTA is considered an internal flight at the airport, but I'm not sure if it is in these figures).

Edited by Sampson

6 hours ago, Sampson said:

Only domestic flights I've ever taken in the UK are flying to Belfast and back. And if they ever build that bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland that's been mooted in recent years, I'd definitely take the car or train instead, as I much prefer train and car travel to plane travel.

Having said that, I do understand people who live Scotland and the South of England who want to go back and see family. It's not practical to spend an entire day going by train or car with the state of the trains right now and how much you'd have to change. It's easy to say "why would anyone take a domestic flight" if your family all live with a 2 or 3 hour train or car journey of you and all on the island of Great Britain.

I agree that we should tax domestic flights on the island of Great Britain and make train travel cheaper, but we should definitely make an exception for flights between Great Britain and Northern Ireland (and flights to Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and Isle of Man too - I'm not sure if they are included in these figures as flying within the CTA is considered an internal flight at the airport, but I'm not sure if it is in these figures).

Belfast I'll give you because I don't doubt that rail and sail takes significantly longer than a flight, but the time difference between flying and the train between London and Edinburgh/Glasgow is negligible unless you live next to an airport.

47 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Belfast I'll give you because I don't doubt that rail and sail takes significantly longer than a flight, but the time difference between flying and the train between London and Edinburgh/Glasgow is negligible unless you live next to an airport.

Are you sure?