Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Belfast I'll give you because I don't doubt that rail and sail takes significantly longer than a flight, but the time difference between flying and the train between London and Edinburgh/Glasgow is negligible unless you live next to an airport.

I suppose it depends where you live in the country. I used to have to fly regularly to Scotland for work from Bristol. As much as I love / prefer train travel (and I do), a 6 hour journey compared to a 1 hour journey just doesn't compute. 

One of the plus sides from Covid however from a climate perspective, is that from a business travel perspective the amount of domestic air travel will have gone through the floor and should you would hope continue to be so to a significant degree as we look forward. Bearing in mind that this type of travel must make up the majority of domestic air travel then this can only be a good thing. 

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Are you sure?

After factoring in travel time to and from the airports either side and needing to go to the airport well before the time of the flight, yes. Obviously the actual flight time is much less than the actual train journey time.

7 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Belfast I'll give you because I don't doubt that rail and sail takes significantly longer than a flight, but the time difference between flying and the train between London and Edinburgh/Glasgow is negligible unless you live next to an airport.

London to Glasgow/Edimburgh, maybe. But it's if you live in the south outside of London.

Going from Portsmouth to Leicester, I have 2 choices via train - pay more to go via London, have to change on the underground or via taxi which takes around 3.5hrs. Or go for the cheaper not-via-London route from Portsmouth to Southampton to Birmingham New Street to Leicester, which usually takes over 5 hours with waiting at stations in between, Although incidentally, you could save about 90 minutes on this if they just built a simple trainline between Coventry and Leicester.

Almost all trains in the south go through London and because London is so big there isn't very good rail infrastructure in the south outside of that for going northwards because it all just funnels you towards London.

Even Bristol for example - 2nd biggest city in the south with a good sized airport - it's going to take you around 6 hours to get to Edinburgh on train with 1 or 2 changes. And that's Edinburgh, which is in the south of Scotland and has amongst the best train links in the country with London, Manchester and Birmingham. If you live further north in Scotland, you'd be struggling.

I do think we should financially discourage it, but I'm just saying, it's easy to think domestic flyers are just rich people flying between Manchester and London everyday, which I think is a bit unfair.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

After factoring in travel time to and from the airports either side and needing to go to the airport well before the time of the flight, yes. Obviously the actual flight time is much less than the actual train journey time.

Domestic flight only required what 45-1hr prior to departure and travelling to/from would be the same as you still have to travel to/from a train station.

You then have the factor of easy, 1 plain or 5 trains (taking if you went Heathrow to Edinburgh airports.

3 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Domestic flight only required what 45-1hr prior to departure and travelling to/from would be the same as you still have to travel to/from a train station.

You then have the factor of easy, 1 plain or 5 trains (taking if you went Heathrow to Edinburgh airports.

Why would you need 5 trains?

Will the French start burning fish?

France fishing row: PM suggests French may have breached treaty as Brexit minister 'concerned' after warning from Paris | Politics News | Sky News

Goes back a few years but some will remember the burning of British sheep by French farmers in a dispute.

Edited by Parafox

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Far more concerning is his decision to fly from Glasgow to London. Sends out completely the wrong message.

Yeah the faux pas in this is so ridiculous it almost feels like a deliberate undermining. 

Don't get me wrong, I went to Edinburgh recently and flew. Its cheaper, quicker and more comfortable than going by train. I'd argue that that IS part of the problem but that's a conversation for another day. My point in bringing it up is just that, I have some sympathy. 

I accept he's a busy man with a country to run and under any other circumstances BoJo flying from London to Scotland would be met with a shrug. 

But you absolutely cannot fvcking fly back from a climate summit in your own country. The optics are just horrific and, like I say, almost deliberate. There's no way everyone involved was so naive that nobody had the thought that it'd draw any criticism. There's times a leader has to do things differently to set an example and this is one of them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

So just when you think this heinous government can sink no lower, there is always something that comes along to make you rethink... 

You don't agree with the ruling of an 'independent' committee that you are represented on and finds against your man, just get rid of the committee.  Genius. 

Also bear in mind he only got a 30 day suspension anyway which is a travesty in its leniency. 

Pursueing a course of action so anti-democratic that even those swivel headed loons at Guido Fawkes think its a bad idea! 

What next, shoehorning Paul Dacre into the Ofcom chair. Nah surely that's just too ridiculous.... 

Note that 6 of the 59 MP's that have called for this have had cases against them upheld by the committee in the last 12 months. Shock horror.

Also, looks like all Tory MP's have now been whipped to back it.

Democracy. Yey.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Pathetic defence of the Paterson situation from Johnson at PMQs, thought Angela Rayner did a great job today and clearly had him riled up.

He basically can't cope with strong women. It's a theme in all aspects of his life. She was indeed very good. 

Re the Paterson disgrace I'd urge anyone who cares about parliamentary democracy in this country to watch Chris Bryant, the chair of the committee, and his contribution to the debate today. It's a long watch but extremely clear and powerful, mostly because of the almost gentle way it is presented. 

• Like 1