Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

25 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

Moving the goal posts when it suits them....christ knows what his hero Churchill would have Thunk!

The foot of Churchill's statue in the lobby is worn because Tory MPs traditionally rub it for good luck before a vote. Doubt Paterson felt the need today knowing hundreds of his colleagues are now publicly up for making open corruption acceptable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rain King said:

This government makes me feel sick. They've hit rock bottom a long time ago and continued drilling down. 

But they will walk the next election. The 'Boris will sort it all out!' brigade. 

The public needs hanging. 

Sadly though, the alternative the public had is feeble. What an absolutely rank/mank/wank era of politicians we have 

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Yup. Everyone's uncle still reckons Labour wouldn't be/do any better so we're stuck with this bunch being openly corrupt, dragging our national dignity further into the gutter, for the foreseeable. Great.

Pretty much the same here in Australia. Openly corrupt behaviour in the form of pork-barreling seems to be pretty much accepted, isn’t in itself illegal, and doesn’t seem to be punished politically. Completely undermines democracy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

I’ve been saying for almost 2 years that this is the most dangerous government we’ve had in modern times, totally without morals or principles other than shallow nationalistic and populist optics to disguise their devotion to donor and billionaire interests, dumbing down political discourse to slogans, smears and dogwhistles, Machiavellian in its desire for self preservation and attacks on democracy, flagrant ignoring and rewriting of rules and the law, normalisation of open corruption, cronyism and lying, attempts to avoid scrutiny and accountability, lowering of public standards to historic lows, staggering incompetence at every turn - and more. Today the Tories have just voted to legalise corruption and bribery of elected officials, and because they’ve whittled down one by one the institutions and conventions designed to prevent abuses of power and preserve a semblance of trust in the political system, the public have been conditioned to shrug their shoulders, because Tory sleaze is now a normal and accepted part of national life.

Surely there has to be a point when rational people say enough is enough. It’s not an exaggeration to say there are dark precedents for the sort of ‘state capture’ we’ve seen over the past 2 years, the dilution of Freedom of Information, the political weaponisation of the judiciary, the attacks on freedom of speech, the independent electoral commission and the committee for the standards of public life, the rule of law, and many more - too many that should be deemed acceptable by a rational well informed electorate. It’s truly unbelievable and terrifying what is happening - and being allowed to happen - in this country at the moment, the sinister path we’re going down. Some on the right of the political spectrum need to wake up and see what’s going on here, because this can only end very, very badly. If they treat parliament, the ministerial code and corruption watchdogs with this much contempt, imagine how much contempt they have for you and me.

And therein lies the problem in a nutshell.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

What a shower if ***** they are. They explained on Newsnight last night that by taking away the power of the Parliamentary Commissioner - who also happens to be investigating Johnson - that it will derail all existing investigations.

I doubt the opposition will support whatever new mechanism they are proposing. Kwasi Kwarteng said on the radio that they want a cross parliamentary committee - but that’s what we have at the moment… total and utter subversion of probity in public life and reshaping of rules to save your own skin. And Johnson had to engineer this so the heat will more or less be at one of his other corrupt chums else’s door -

coward. 

This has got to be worse than the Tory sleaze of the 90s?

Labour, Lib Dems and the SNP have all said they'll have no part in it.

2 strange things for me.

I fail to see why Paterson's verdict should be reduced for personal reasons (his wife died fairly recently) when the bribery has been ongoing for some time.

Second, why did the Speaker allow the amendment to be carried on and voted on? He could have rejected it.

All very odd

Edited by blabyboy
  • Like 4

Just now, blabyboy said:

2 strange things for me.

I feel to see why Paterson's verdict should be reduced for personal reasons (his wife died fairly recently) when the bribery has been ongoing for some time.

Second, why did the Speaker allow the amendment to be carried on and voted on? He could have rejected it.

All very odd

It all smells very bad.