Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Most don't care until it directly, and significantly affects them. The good old right-wing attitude. 

It's a mixture of total apathy, and straight up ignorance, sadly. Many people aren't interested in politics, which I can empathise with TBH. 

However it means that they base their votes on totally top-line policies, and headline reporting - and there's only going to be one outcome in this country when people consume the toxic drivel pumped out by the likes of the Mail and the Sun en masse.

Was always told when I was a kid, that "politics and religion should not be discussed". Took me a while to figure out it was because those saying it didn't want to have to justify their pretty terrible opinions.

That failure to discuss politics has led to so much apathy, I reckon. When there's apathy, the shysters always do well out of it.

• Like 2

'Jealous' MP Claudia Webbe 'showed little remorse' but was 'saved from jail by good character

She was convicted over messages that included one threatening to throw acid at a friend of her boyfriend

How can someone who threatens to throw acid at someone be deemed to have good character?

• Like 1

More rioting in Belfast last night. I honestly believed we'd never get back to this point. Still cannot believe that a government has actively put in place legislation they they must have known could see an end to a very hard-fought peace over decades, within its own country 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Górnik Leicester said:

Was always told when I was a kid, that "politics and religion should not be discussed". Took me a while to figure out it was because those saying it didn't want to have to justify their pretty terrible opinions.

That failure to discuss politics has led to so much apathy, I reckon. When there's apathy, the shysters always do well out of it.

It's also because we are quite passive aggressive, avoiding conflict is important and people are very uncomfortable with debate. Maybe why our online discourse is so intense.

Also most of us are monolingual and so not only are we unaware of what goes on in other countries, we see things from a very anglophone perspective, which is perhaps why we import so many debates from America. You saw this in debates over Europe where both remainers and leavers have a very weird view of the EU.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

'Jealous' MP Claudia Webbe 'showed little remorse' but was 'saved from jail by good character

She was convicted over messages that included one threatening to throw acid at a friend of her boyfriend

How can someone who threatens to throw acid at someone be deemed to have good character?

Presumably she hasn't got a previous criminal record. 

15 minutes ago, FoxyPV said:

New poll out today

Tories +3

I fvxking give up. What the fvck is wrong with the English

A decent percentage of the population is ill educated, has a very short attention span and celebrates wilful ignorance. And the English is a deeply conservative people. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

A decent percentage of the population is ill educated, has a very short attention span and celebrates wilful ignorance. And the English is a deeply conservative people. 

56% Gammon too don't forget. 

It's like Paterson, interview with constituents on channel 4, some said good riddance, one elderly woman said it was sad and that he was a good man. Either she's thick as shit and her idea of a good man is wildly different to the norm or she literally has no idea what's gone on and just thinks some poor bloke has lost his job for no apparent reason. 

19 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't think we are. I think most English people vote anti-Tory, it's just the voting system that keeps that in power by splitting the opposition votes across several parties.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

I don't think we are. I think most English people vote anti-Tory, it's just the voting system that keeps that in power by splitting the opposition votes across several parties.

Please note two things - I said English, not British, and conservative NOT Conservative :)

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I know that. but if you combine the Labour, LibDems and Green votes in England alone it's still more than the Tories.

Possibly... But my point is lots of those people are conservative in nature. My entire family is and has never voted Tory ever. 

21 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Starmer is definitely PART of the problem though. For instance, like him or not, if Andy Burnham was in charge of Labour they would be doing significantly better in the polls.

Actually don't disagree - all we've had in the last few years is London based leaders. Burnham would be very good IMO.

20 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Nope, sorry. The Conservative Party and the people who voted for them are responsible for this government. If you're one of them, take responsibility for your own actions, don't blame other people.

However you felt about Corbyn, he and his iteration of the Labour Party actively campaigned against having a Conservative government. Even if you didn't want to vote for them, nobody was forced to vote Conservative.

I didn't say they were solely the responsible. Obviously the Tory party and their supporters got them elected, but they were already in power and only increased their vote by 1% - around 300,000 votes. Every poll had them way ahead - all they had to do was maintain what they'd already got, which they did. 

Every poll had Labour behind and there was a very obvious and vocal dislike and distrust of Corbyn throughout the country and in Labour/centre left circles. He consistently put himself above what was right for the party and the country - then Labour lost 8% of their 2017 number, more than 2 and a half million people voting for other left leaning parties or abstaining all together. Like I said in the other post, he should have gone after Brexit, after the 2017 defeat, after every scandal within the party, for the good of the party and the country. I'm blaming Corbyn for not being good enough and for not giving the electorate a better choice. And I say that as someone who has always voted Labour (except tactically the Lib Dems in 2010 to try to keep the Tories out, which backfired somewhat); despite living in Charnwood which is one of the safest Tory seats. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

I feel like there’s actually a lot to unpack here, so…

- Did I vote Conservative at the last election?  Yes.

- Knowing what I do now, would I vote the same way again if presented with the exact same situation?  Yes. It remains the easiest vote I’ve ever cast, in no small part because all of the alternatives were entirely unpalatable in the circumstances.

- Did Corbyn and his actions affect my vote?  Yes, in a sense. Not saying I wouldn’t have voted Conservative anyway but he made the vote vehement being the leader of the primary alternative.

- Should Corbyn take some responsibility for the current Conservative government?  Of course; he was the leader of the opposition. If he’s not going to take responsibility for an election result four years into his tenure as leader, what is he doing there?

- Should I take responsibility for the current Conservative government?  I guess. It is a democracy. But if you’re expecting me to traipse through Leicester holding a placard with the word “Shame” above my head then you’ll have a long wait. Frankly I’m not quite sure what this even means in practice, although I see it written a lot.

- If there was another election next month based on the situation now rather than the situation then, would I vote Conservative?  I don’t know. I like Starmer but fear Labour look a bit wet in general. Meanwhile the Conservatives are massively lacking integrity, particularly their leader. I’d say Labour are in the lead for me right now but it’s not decided. Greens are too far left and Lib Dems I don’t see the point.

Brave post my fellow cretin 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sensing a bit of a change of tone from Starmer since this Paterson thing began. Feel he's becoming more aggressive in tone and much less "softly, softly" when it comes to criticising the Tories. It's long overdue too, think he realises the era of trying to do right for the common good hasn't got him or Labour anywhere.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/keir-starmer-one-rule-boris-johnson-friends-one-for-rest-of-us-1286377?utm_term=Autofeed&ito=social_itw_theipaper&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636125355