Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

You have to remember that Labour lost a net of 60 seats at the last election. To pull all of that back plus more in one GE is near on impossible.

I wont say that the predicted polls are wrong, but there is a long way to go yet. Cons holding on by a few seats would be a victory for Labour given the damage they took.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FoxyPV said:

I have absolutely no faith in the English electorate to follow this through.

Interesting how many people blame the 'English electorate' when one of the main reasons for the Conservatives recent majorities is the collapse in Labour support in Scotland.

I also don't really trust it by election time. I do get the feeling that if things look bleak for the Tories going into the election they'll just get rid of Boris and get Rishi in as leader and that will turn it in their favour again. Sunak seems to be the most popular politician with the general public because of furlough pay.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I also don't really trust it by election time. I do get the feeling that if things look bleak for the Tories going into the election they'll just get rid of Boris and get Rishi in as leader and that will turn it in their favour again. Sunak seems to be the most popular politician with the general public because of furlough pay.

Isn't it the case that the Tory membership has a role in choosing the leader?

They are about as far removed from the general public as you can get, and I suspect he'd be viewed as the wrong type.

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

Isn't it the case that the Tory membership has a role in choosing the leader?

They are about as far removed from the general public as you can get, and I suspect he'd be viewed as the wrong type.

People said the same about Thatcher

5 hours ago, bovril said:

Interesting how many people blame the 'English electorate' when one of the main reasons for the Conservatives recent majorities is the collapse in Labour support in Scotland.

That's not true, is it?

It's true that Labour's collapse in Scotland is one major factor in Labour's poor results UK-wide. But that Scottish collapse has overwhelmingly benefited the SNP, not the Tories.

In 2019, the Tories won 345 seats in England - and only 6 in Scotland. Even if Labour had won every single seat in Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland, the Tories would've had a UK majority based on English seats.

In 2017, the Tories surged from 1 seat in Scotland to 13, but all their extra 12 seats were won from the SNP and not Labour, whose 2017 result was better than 2015 in Scotland & UK-wide. The Tories lost their majority.

In 2015, the Tories gained a UK majority despite winning only 1 seat in Scotland. In total, the Tories won 330 seats......318 of them in England

Of course, election results and percentage support are not the same thing - and the electoral system polarises results.

But recent Tory election success and political power IS overwhelmingly gifted to them by the English electorate, isn't it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bovril said:

No, that may be one of the reasons for the Tory lead over Labour in terms of Westminster MPs, but not for the Tory majority.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

All they need is a good slogan and it'll get everyone back onside no matter what.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bovril said:

Setting aside the fact that Scotland should be an independent country, IT IS the English who overwhelming vote Tory.

The fact that labour relied on it for so long was foolish as it was never a sustainable strategy.

The UK needs to move away from FPTP to PR STV.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I am enjoying seeing the ratings for those ***** drop in the polls I must admit, long may it continue.

Likewise.

But I find myself asking who is only changing their opinion now? I'm reasonably aware of what has happened in the last few weeks and the attack on the standards committee was certainly significant, but are these last few weeks really any different to what we have seen from Boris & Co in general? I think not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Likewise.

But I find myself asking who is only changing their opinion now? I'm reasonably aware of what has happened in the last few weeks and the attack on the standards committee was certainly significant, but are these last few weeks really any different to what we have seen from Boris & Co in general? I think not.

The daily mail. Sadly. 

Tories have the UK by the Short & curlies.....

Covid-political-platforms& & Information aus been since May last year, confusing,Jessy & quite pathetic...Paper Work Confusion too long for UK residents, often Not meshing with Foreign destinations...

Labor have nothing in any Major theme to sell that they make serious or believable...

I mean UK have a Complete Buffoon has their PM....and still

the opposition cant offer anything...I

The Good decent Labor politicians, just Dont have the fire-power, or hard Political rhetoric...

Stanley Johnson, the former MEP and father of the prime minister, has been accused of inappropriately touching a senior Conservative MP.

https://news.sky.com/story/stanley-johnson-accused-of-inappropriately-touching-senior-conservative-mp-12469482

Here's hoping the Conservative Party investigate this thoroughly. A New Statesman journalist has now come forward to make the same allegation too.

Won't hold my breath...

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

https://news.sky.com/story/stanley-johnson-accused-of-inappropriately-touching-senior-conservative-mp-12469482

Here's hoping the Conservative Party investigate this thoroughly. A New Statesman journalist has now come forward to make the same allegation too.

Won't hold my breath...

They'll probably try and change the rules, or the definition or "inappropriate" so they can brush it under the carpet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Johnson rebuked by the Speaker at PMQs after he *shock* once again decided the rules apply to everyone but him. :rolleyes:

Plenty commenting on there being a fair bit of green showing on the Tory benches this week...

The joke made in the house by someone from the SNP was that they're busy working on their second jobs.

• Haha 1

On 16/11/2021 at 17:32, Voll Blau said:

Won't hold my breath...

You want them to investigate a retired former MEP for patting a woman’s arse in 2003?  

The Patterson lobbying case is a joke, any more in that position should be jailed.  Impossible to say whether it really impacted any decisions on contracts or not, and given the Covid laws seem to provide an exception to usual procurement rules I doubt anything comes of that.