Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

WBA ..pre match thread.

16 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Already champions 👍

BD17A9EB-34F1-4B23-B313-6DBD80413F26.jpeg

Great. Would this mean promoting nine teams from the Championship to replace them. Or promoting six and not relegating Fulham, West Brom and Sheff Utd? Barnsley in the Premier League? Millwall also if they decide to promote nine!

11 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

Great. Would this mean promoting nine teams from the Championship to replace them. Or promoting six and not relegating Fulham, West Brom and Sheff Utd? Barnsley in the Premier League? Millwall also if they decide to promote nine!

I'd simply do away with the playoffs for the season and turn the 4 playoff spots into automatic promotion ones with nobody coming the other way. Obviously you'd then have to do similar the rest of the way down the pyramid, the net loss of teams to the league system should be easily enough absorbed by removing the odd place from the regional leagues rather than any one league losing 6 whole teams.

In all the madness, I forgot there were still games to be played. 

Big Sam has had some decent results but, come on, look at that West Brom team. He's been there for most of the season anyway and they're still getting relegated. They're just playing for dignity. If we chuck it to him, we don't deserve top 4. They're 9 points from safety with 7 games to play.  

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Important not to lose focus after reaching the cup final. 

I don't want the back 3 but then how do you get Maddison, Iheanacho and Vardy in the side without playing someone out wide.

Diamond but then Tielemans has to play a bit wider.

A 433. With Praet, Ndidi and Tielemans. And a narrow front 3 of Maddison, Iheanacho and Vardy. Vardy likes the left channel. Then it's probably Evans who misses out.

It will probably be Maddison in for Perez in only change though. 

....Fofana a bigger liability if Evans is not in the back line to rein him in!!!

He (Fofana) maybe a terrific player but he has rash moments, which put the team in trouble. 

Perez did a good job yesterday, it depends what people are expecting from him, if it is creativity or goal threat then you are going to be disappointed.  His work supporting the midfield and his closing down and winning back the ball was essential,  knowing he would be pulled after a certain time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Fofana a bigger liability if Evans is not in the back line to rein him in!!!

He (Fofana) maybe a terrific player but he has rash moments, which put the team in trouble. 

Perez did a good job yesterday, it depends what people are expecting from him, if it is creativity or goal threat then you are going to be disappointed.  His work supporting the midfield and his closing down and winning back the ball was essential,  knowing he would be pulled after a certain time.

Personally don't recall too many rash moments from Fofana, especially in a back 4. 

I agree that Perez does lots of good things in this formation but against West Brom we need the player with the most quality and that's Maddison. 

Hope we go back to a back 4. I'm not even sure what formation we played yesterday, but it was horrific and the lads looked like they'd never played together before. Not for the first time this season. The Man U game looks like a freak because the other performances have been asbolutely disgusting performances with the games we've won purely by luck or a moment or two of brilliance. Sheffield United are a league one team that fell apart as well, so again, quality was always going to win.

I'd genuinely rather play 4 2 3 1 and have Thomas and Albrighton as the starting wingers than be subjected to that frankly offensive football we've been subjected to.

• Like 1

A lot will depend on how they all came out of yesterdays game fitness wise. Evans likely needs a rest so he might be rested but I agree the other two need his control in advising them when to stay and go.

I'm more worried about Kelechi twisting his knee near the end of the game. I hope he's all right though he may need a rest also to give his knee a chance to settle down.

We know we have to win this game but can't go gung ho either. On balance we should have enough provided we start with the right attitude. 2 nil to us.

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Hope we go back to a back 4. I'm not even sure what formation we played yesterday, but it was horrific and the lads looked like they'd never played together before. Not for the first time this season. The Man U game looks like a freak because the other performances have been absolutely disgusting performances with the games we've won purely by luck or a moment or two of brilliance. Sheffield United are a league one team that fell apart as well, so again, quality was always going to win.

I'd genuinely rather play 4 2 3 1 and have Thomas and Albrighton as the starting wingers than be subjected to that frankly offensive football we've been subjected to.

Agreed. I thought we were in trouble when I seen how we lined up, Thankfully Southampton were even worse than us.

Balance is so important in teams and players playing were they are most comfortable. For me Castagne on the left doesn't work and neither does Ricky.

I'd prefer to see them both on the right with Ricky in the forward position and Thomas and Albrighton on the left. in the absence of Barnes.

This way we have a real threat down either side and more difficult to defend against.

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Hope we go back to a back 4. I'm not even sure what formation we played yesterday, but it was horrific and the lads looked like they'd never played together before. Not for the first time this season. The Man U game looks like a freak because the other performances have been asbolutely disgusting performances with the games we've won purely by luck or a moment or two of brilliance. Sheffield United are a league one team that fell apart as well, so again, quality was always going to win.

Vardy on his own will no longer work, Iheanacho on his own probably not either. We need to field two front men and then including Maddison is not a problem . I don't know the answer to this but wing backs seems to be Rodgers's preferred option. I agree the football can be defensive and unexciting but it gives us a solid core at the back.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Kasper   

Fofana Evans Soyuncu 

Ricardo                              Thomas 

Ndidi Tielmans  

Maddison  

Vardy Nacho  

Gotta play Ricardo or Castagne as a rwb. Clearly neither want to play on the left and will benefit starting in their natural position. 

This 

Incredible that in 24 hours this has gone from being absolutely crucial to having no idea what the outcome will mean.

I'm actually surprised they've not stopped the matches this week while they try to work out what to do.

• Like 2

Guest Danny Clender

529148019_Screenshot2021-04-20at11_04_50.png.a3189868c7c9df45fb67e816afb7999a.png

It genuinely is difficult to imagine us lining up differently to 3-4-1-2.

I think we're accustomed to this scenario now, we find a set up that works and then when one player drops out of it, the system goes through the mangler. 

Soyuncu being the case in point vs West Ham and Manchester City.

We saw how well the back 3 can work against Southampton and West Brom are going to be 'Big Sammin' but also with Pereria playing some lethal stuff on the ground. 

I think the solid back 3 needs to work well until the end of the season or until the return of a flying Barnes. 

I think Maddison showed enough promise on Sunday to be included from the start in this one, although as often is the case, Perez was strong in the press and aggressive in winning back possession, It's a nice rotation to have. 

Ricardo is definitely improving and having more moments as each game passes, so I think his progression needs to continue. 

I don’t like it when our highest wide players are full backs. 

You could see it on Sunday that every time Ricardo or Castagne got the ball, all they could do is play it sideways or knock it back to one of the centre backs.

But as others have said - how do you get Vardy, Iheanacho, Maddison, Tielemans and Ndidi in the same team? 

I actually think some of our recent performances show how big a player Barnes is for us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

You could see it on Sunday that every time Ricardo or Castagne got the ball, all they could do is play it sideways or knock it back to one of the centre backs.

But as others have said - how do you get Vardy, Iheanacho, Maddison, Tielemans and Ndidi in the same team? 

I actually think some of our recent performances show how big a player Barnes is for us. 

With two strikers only one needs to stay central. It was Vardy's run wide left that led to the goal. When Vardy and Barnes are together they often take up wide positions with the other staying central. Iheanacho rarely does that however as he can't match their pace. Edouard, if we get him , also often attacks wide , he has plenty of pace.

14 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Neither of their end products the best either (at the moment). So many times Timmy got into great space and had fairly simple balls to play but got it horribly wrong 

Castagne was exceptional 2nd half on Sunday and I hope that's now a sign of an upturn in form from him for the remainder of the season. I've been wanting to see Luke Thomas given a run of games but the pairing right now ought to be Castagne LWB and Albrighton RWB if we have to go 3-4-1-2.

• Like 4

This is the start of a winnable run of games but maje no mistake, this is where the players and manager earn their money.  It's no good beating Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Spurs and Arsenal if we throw points away against the likes of WBA.

They will have the confidence from their last couple of matches and will be well up for it.  There's absolutely no room for complacency.  Three points here is all that matters, I'm not overly bothered about the performance.  This is the business end of the season.  All of our efforts thus far have got us here.  This is where it counts.