Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

WBA ..pre match thread.

10 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Glad to see Thomas getting a start. Ricardo has been very poor since his return. It looks like he is just suited to playing standard RB and not higher up/on the left like some people thought. 

Not sure you can judge his suitability on the left given he's not playing like he did pre-injury on the right either, but Castagne looks better on the right, and Ricardo isn't back to his best, so Thomas is the alternative. 

Bit of a shame for Mark as he's looked very good when he's come on in the last couple of games, but I'm happy with that line up.

Such a big game. We have to win these next 2.

Our semi final was our first very high pressure game we have won and let's face it....wasn't a vintage performance. But hopefully they carry that confidence through to the league now. 

• Like 1

This is one of those games we need to start well get a goal ahead and then keep our shape and pick them off as they try to respond.

A nervy slow start or sloppy defending with WBA on the break is my worry as this is such a big chance for both teams. If we don't win this I think it is unlikely we will end up in the top 4 and it will show that we haven't progressed as much from last year as we hoped. We usually do very well away at West Brom and I can think of some classic Vardy goals at the Hawthorns but we all know of the struggles at home this year. In the 2015/16 season when we were at the top of our game I remember a difficult 2 2 draw although we played really well.

Would like Maddison to start even if not 100% as Perez was giving the ball away too much last week. If we can supply Vardy and Iheanacho hopefully we should be OK

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

They’ll sit back and hope to get something on the break or from a set piece.

It could well work too. 

1 hour ago, IsItMuzzy said:

This is such a myth. Any manager worth his salt knows the best way to beat us is to sit back with a deep defensive block and hope to grab a goal on the counter or from a set piece. We struggle to break these teams down and are usually susceptible to a counter (although hopefully less so with Fofana, Evans and Cags in a back 3). If anything their need for a result will push them to start the game more defensively, rather than be picked off early by us. 

Some sense at last rather than old tired clichés!! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

I wonder what our record is like against Allardyce sides generally 

edit: Found it! 

W2 D4 L6 

.... let’s hope we improve that a bit tonight 

I vividly recall that Walker own goal when Allardyce exploited the new offside rule and our defence couldn't handle it. 

Bad record against Allardyce, bad record at home to West Brom...time to sort it!

• Like 2

Just now, Number 6 said:

I vividly recall that Walker own goal when Allardyce exploited the new offside rule and our defence couldn't handle it. 

Bad record against Allardyce, bad record at home to West Brom...time to sort it!

If they can't beat these with everyone fit bar Barnes they need stuffing with a ragmans trumpet, Alladyce revival or not. If you can't beat second from bottom West Brom, what chance Barcelona 🤣😅

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

To be fair most of the time we have faced Allardyce sides he's been at teams in better nick than ours bar when he was at Sunderland and now at West Brom. 

His Bolton side were better equipped than ours, he turned Everton round when we were nosediving under Puel and his West Ham team was decent. There's possibly a few others I've missed. Was he at Palace when we we were horrid in our 2nd season under Ranieri?

We will win tonight, this team knows this opportunity we have.

• Like 1

Ughh, hopefully Thomas and Castagne actually play as wing backs rather than confused full backs. I'd love us to have similar success to Atalanta while playing this formation as it can be devestating. More vertical passing and more bodies forwards! 

KILL THEM!!!

This is a different WBA in the last couple of weeks, they have a bit of confidence, wind in their sails and look vibrant going forward, they'll either look to continue that or be more cautious and try to dig in for a 0-0. Early goal important, predict a hard earned 2-0.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Ughh, hopefully Thomas and Castagne actually play as wing backs rather than confused full backs. I'd love us to have similar success to Atalanta while playing this formation as it can be devestating. More vertical passing and more bodies forwards! 

KILL THEM!!!

Whoever plays at wing back, right or left, is going to be nullified by opposition IF we continue to pass backwards and sideways at slow pace. The wing backs are left to operate with no space as the whole outfield opponents are back in defensive positions and therefore a man closing down the wing channels.

You are right that unless we play more quick and incisive passes, quickly and with purpose, then we will continue to see this largely laboured build up to the attacking third

• Like 3